Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bobbles

Bread making in UK

97 posts in this topic

@sam-i-am what about a bap or ,bun ?

i would love to learn how to make my own bread @Arnold Layne can you point me in the right direction please mate ?

@Comrade Stoker

You are of course quite right. Shortening the fermentation times for bread meant many more loaves could be turned out from the same footprint.

Another 'economy' from the CWP was that the lower protein British wheat could now be used. (instead of importing richer wheat from North America).

But on another note, @splifi , what's wrong with brown bread. Every third loaf I bake is either brown or wholemeal. 

I love bread,some of my successes .the bread kitchen on utube has some excellent recipeslarge.59a8225c65a2f_bread3.jpglarge.59a8224f8c363_bread2.jpg

Edited by MK11
tryping errot
7 people like this

@Arnold Layne 

If any thing went wrong with the white dough, most commonly the bearing in the mixer would fail and put grease into the dough mix it would then just go into the brown.Basicly every thing that went wrong ended up as brown bread.I don’t work in bakeries any more but over time i have worked for 3 well known ones and all did the same. 

@splifi

Doesn't happen here. Not in the PFNC bakery! Only the finest quality ingredients baked in hygienic conditions. By me. Clean hands, no grease, arthritis but no faulty bearings!

I reckon you're well out the industry. Do you still bake, either artisan or home? Wanted to be a baker but my family were not best pleased. So I dropped out, turned on and became a criminal instead. Hey ho!

3 people like this

No sorry i don’t bake.But i will when i retire 

I am a spark what happened was all the supermarkets kept pushing down the price of bread intern, wages went shit in bakeries so i bailed.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Wanted to be a baker but my family were not best pleased. So I dropped out, turned on and became a criminal instead. Hey ho!

:rofl:

That's 'spirit' for sure :v:

3 people like this

large.59ac137f2aa0d_TheBegining.jpgThe raw materials from which I hope to make something beautiful.large.59ac138698377_Halfwaythere.jpgMixed, kneaded and caressed into shape.large.59ac138c44207_Nearly.....jpgBaked and looking pretty sassy.large.59ac139314389_Ohyes...andwithacheekybordeaux.jpg                                                                                                                                  .... And this is what its about. A bit of cheddar with the bread washed down with a cheeky little Bordeaux.

Edited by bobbles
Text was broken up
12 people like this

This is just out of the oven. If Professor Farnsbarns' invention 'the Smellivision' ever gets made you might be able to appreciate the aroma. it is intoxicating.

large.59b14b7f07121_Justouttheoven1.jpg

6 people like this

On 8/28/2017 at 7:38 PM, Happy Hippy said:

Oooh a bread thread wicked i used to make almost all my own bread and use a crappy part bake in reserve lol i love the nutty seedy loafs myself but plain brown is like cardboard to me,i dont eat as much bread as i used too but the ones ive not really done are the ones i love the most flatbreads,pittas,roti and them posh all butter french croissants.

Anybody with some great recipes for authentic west indian,or indian breads please share your secrets 

peace

have you tried hardo bread? its a slightly sweet bread from jamaica ('hard dough bread' if your googling),theres also something called bun ( jamaican spiced bun) its bread but spiced and with raisins and fruit.

hardo bread makes lovely hearty toast with butter and "bun&cheese"(butter and cheese) is a very popular

if you try making it make sure you follow a proper west indian recipe not one done by a white person( a genuine thing,im not racist as im mixed race anyway)

H4rdc0r3.

Edited by H4rdc0r3
1 person likes this

@H4rdc0r3

hey dude that all sounds lovely i will be having a look for sure,cheers

peace

1 person likes this

Any chance someone could do a step by step with pics?

it will be much appreciated :)

Hello @ratdog . What loaf do  want to make?

1 person likes this

Hello mate, I like wholemeal, when I had a bread maker I chucked in some mixed seeds too.

1 person likes this