Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Green demon

Critical Jack

104 posts in this topic

Not resorted to smoking banana skins just yet then lol

Looking good mate, Exodus Cheese should be a good un, I enjoyed her. How close it is to the original though I can't say... Never smoked it, never grown it but on its own it's pretty good :yep: Looks like she's loving it. The Critical in the Jack should be good, had it in the Cheese from Dinafem and its a nice burn. It does look like a long process though this mainlining, as already mentioned and as you know by doing it I suppose. Think its one of them that need starting earlier than planned. Outdoors is coming to mind, shit there's plenty of time to get a good few main stems before flowering. Keeps them low as well.

Edited by Chester Copperpot
2 people like this

Cheers @Chester Copperpot & lol not yet, I have had a glass of cava though which battered me again for a bit. Just been smoking hash and designing my new tent. Insomnia is what gets me when I run out of chron. By morning I'll be like Withnail drinking anti freeze.

Yeah I've heard many good things about this Exodus. Considering all they had to do was self a clone and back cross it a few times, how hard can that be lol My mate runs true Exodus cut and Psychosis so I'll be able to let you know how they compare.

Nice to hear good tings bout Critical. Ive had Jack before and that was a blinding smoke. Run a few Sweet Seeds Black Jacks as well and a couple of those were pure Jack in flavour. 

TBH mate I didn't plan this grow at all. I couldn't afford seeds, tried to germinate about ten freebies from Herbies and the four Jacks and Cheeses were the only that made it.

Just working with what I got, I didn't even care or think about how long to veg. Just knew I was gonna give mainlining a go in 7.5l pots and see what happened. I'm not grumbling really thou. Been good getting back in the saddle, trying out coco and having a crack at some news vars. 

5 people like this

9 hours ago, Green demon said:

So what's your method? You just top the once and manage the canopy from there?

It changes mate every time, depending on what the plants are doing like but more or less the top out, LST work and supercropping, defoliation too is entering my regime as I've found it effective :v:

3 people like this

top growing with these mate. 

looking bang on, that diy flood n drain table looks sound.

lots of information on your style of growing in this thread that will help others. hell im gonna give that lst method of yours using the uncle bens method too. 

them exodus cheese are a nice smoke i had some of my mate from the same g/h seeds very promising for there stuff lately. :smoke:

2 people like this

Sweet cheers for that @botanics! I'm loving being part of this community, the free exchange of ideas and such is awesome. I lurked for years but I'm learning so much more now I've decided to get involved.

I love how the cannabis community is so divided on basic things. We can't even agree on defoliation. 50% say strip those big ole fan leaves that are blocking budsites and the other 50% say you're a raving loon for touching them lol "Their solar panels for the plant man, and they provide nutrients for the plant!"

Haha it's like the allegory of the cave.

The Dude has an idea. He breaks the mould and leaves the cave/strips the leaves from his plant. He realises the world is a much bigger and better place/bud grow bigger and better with direct light as opposed to being shaded under the canopy and never reaching its full potential. 

The dude goes back into the cave and tells his people's what he saw/the dude shares his grow technique with fellow stoners.

They kill him/ he gets called an idiot.

Yonks ago I watched a vid of guy with more growing experience than I had years alive. He explained that obviously plants grow with the sun as a light source in mind. The sun can penetrate a canopy because A it's power, and B it moves across the sky hitting the plant from various angles. 

Even so some plants with extremely dense foliage still benefit from defoliation when grown in an out door garden, to allow for better penetration but more importantly better airflow.

Growing indoors with a significantly lower powered light source, and one that generally doesn't move plants don't just benefit from defoliation, they need it.

He explained that indoors fan leaves become surplus to requirements. Without them the plants still have more than enough leaf area to absorb enough light for photosynthesis. Having the fans as well is OTT, like using a car battery in a TV remote. 

On my exodus cheese that im growing now as an example. At each node two fan leaves form and two branches/growth tips. The fan leaf locally supports its growth tip that it's attached to. When I LST and pull the main lead down the nodes below it start growing. Remove the fan leaf attached to the nodes though and the growth at that node slows down. Removing fan leaves can be a good way to slow down the growth of a particular lead that is growing too fast.

As I've been tieing down the leads the fan leaves have been blocking the growth tips from direct light. Everyday, even multiple times a day I've been tucking the leaves to promote even growth, as well rotating the plants.

Two days being busy and neglecting the leaf tucking and the result was obvious. Every lead directly under a fan leaf had stopped growing and all the other leads took over. If a plant is growing is growing an inch a day, one day under a fan leaf makes a big difference. In the end I defoliated and made canopy control much easier.

So in veg defoliation is massively recommended by me. What about flower? 

Timing and method is critical. My mate for years defoliated but always had mixed results. Where he went wrong was every day he'd go into his garden and pluck a few leaves. Do a bit of bending, whatever, he was using Chinese water torture messing with his plants and stressing them everyday.

A rep comes into his grow shop one day and explained how to do it. 

Defoliate in veg and build the framework you want. Leave the plant alone then put it into flower. After the three week stretch remove all the fan leaves in one go. By week six they will all have been replaced and will look like they've never been defoliated. Strip them again and leave them.

Chronic results after that.

Cheers @smokie1 b c f c I appreciate your kind words mate coming from grower like yourself! TBH I fucking love my drip table. All these years hand watering and having to lift heavy plant pots, dripping water everywhere, and tipping out saucers, and now I just watch it stream into a catchment bucket, oh yes, I fucking love it!

Thats the whole reason I set this diary up mate. I've learnt so much from peeps sharing their garden I felt it was time to do the same. I by no means think I know it all, of boast of gram per watt smashing yields. I'm just learning and constantly fucking up, but it's those fuck ups we learn from and help us get better. If letting the world see me repeatedly fuck up helps just one person dial in their Grow then happy fucking daze. 

Bro all I know about Greenhouse is what I read. Two Legendary breeders and a businessman create it. They do magic, fall out and split. Businessman remains at GH breeders go elsewhere. GH quality steadily declines by review.

Having just grown their Big Bang Auto advertised at six weeks, and it took four and five months, I could say a fuck ton of expletives about them. I'm only growing Exodus because it was a freebie. I'm just stoked it supposed to be the one plant of theirs that's still a diamond! Peace fellas

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Green demon said:

Yonks ago I watched a vid of guy with more growing experience than I had years alive. He explained that obviously plants grow with the sun as a light source in mind. The sun can penetrate a canopy because A it's power, and B it moves across the sky hitting the plant from various angles. 

Even so some plants with extremely dense foliage still benefit from defoliation when grown in an out door garden, to allow for better penetration but more importantly better airflow.

Growing indoors with a significantly lower powered light source, and one that generally doesn't move plants don't just benefit from defoliation, they need it.

He explained that indoors fan leaves become surplus to requirements. Without them the plants still have more than enough leaf area to absorb enough light for photosynthesis. Having the fans as well is OTT, like using a car battery in a TV remote.

2 hours ago, Green demon said:

So in veg defoliation is massively recommended by me. What about flower? 

That guy's thinking is the same as mine after observations, analysis and conclusions mate ;)  It's the very reason I reckon it's a goer on an indoor crop.  Sunlight equates to around a 1000W/foot squared and no need for defoliation due to the sheer amount of photons but when growing indoors, there's no comparison and buds/shoots need light on them if you want them to swell up and harden off without airy fairy bollox going on.

Keeping the leaves for veg unless you are training a specific way (like removing the leaves above shoots to slow them down ect) is best I say but come the flip, stripping them and letting them stretch and put out the secondary leaves does seem to bloom up very well indeed I've observed, but also the tucking them out of the way will reach the same desires however getting rid of the 'sinks' is desirable, but I don't worry about this so much. (source v sink via a google will get you some more info about that thinking) :v:

3 people like this

Just sped through this thread - awesome!

At my level, I'm not sure I'll be adopting new lighting regimes just yet, but I love threads that push convention, open up new, or reintroduced possibilities... Its food for thought and future experimentation, but more than that, it reveals a huge amount of detailed information about the plants themselves.

I'll be spending a bit more time hanging around the early pages here to soak it all up - excellent photographic documentation too @Green demon!

Cheers!

:yep:

5 people like this

Really enjoyed reading the dairy so far mate and interested to see how it progresses:yes:

first time seeing this training technique, I'll pull up a chair and hit the follow button if you don't mind:yep:

4 people like this

Exactly @botanics just read about sinks vs source. Cheers buddy. It's like a lot of things, I know about them from seeing and experiencing them myself but didn't know their was scientific terminology for it lol 

I used to date a girl whose Dad was a proper eccentric scientist. We used to get fucked up on red wine now and then and he'd try to explode my mind.

Most of the time the shit he talked was so deep I didn't have a clue, but when he made it comprehensible, it really was a scary place to be. 

He told me gravity was bullshit. No such thing exists that can be measured here or anywhere on earth. There is only density. Some moecules are denser than others that's it. 

He told me we don't truly understand how light travels from a to b. One would conceptualise that light travels from the sun like a bullet from a gun, straight. However this isn't the case, light particles zig zag and do what the fuck they want and how anything is lit up is anyone's guess.

Google the quantum double slit experiment if you wanna head fuck lol 

Hey @Slugums thanks a lot mate kind of you to stop by and say so!

First few grows mate I'd suggest to any new grower to just leave the plant alone and just document and watch. There's more than enough to be learnt in the simple act of growing without having to try multiple things to improve yield. 

Once you know how to feed and water a plant then start looking at training methods and lighting diets to maximise what your set up is capable of.

@Crentz Glad you're  enjoying the diary mate and happy to have you on board! I've had my eye on mainlinning for a few years because it's so damn pretty and my OCD fucking loves symmetry more than anything else.

UBs topping for four colas is such a sick method of growing that I couldn't ever really try anything else. Having had a good year break I thought I'd start by getting a quick crop in so went with the Big Bang Autos that ended up taken four months instead of six weeks.

After growing those plants I have learnt a new level of growing patience so felt it was time to give mainlining a go.

Im not really sure when to flower them though. I think I've missed the xmas smoke boat so might as well let them get big enough to yield well.

Easy fellas 

4 people like this

lol Yeah mate Quantum Mechanics will fuck your head around for sure...sounds like a really interesting chap the eccentric scientist you got stuck into the vino with :v:

4 people like this

If there's no such thing as gravity that would mean he thinks the world is flat, I will admit I Thought the same for a while but once I came down off my high reality kicked in:D

yeah seems like a lot of work all this training when lst, topping and super cropping would probably yield the same results but in very interested to see how this turns out mate:yep:

There comes a point when you have to weigh up your running costs versus yield. 

4 people like this

@botanics bro quantum physics and mechanics melted my mind. I read about it then my brain folded in on itself. Took a year to process it in the background before I went back to it and started reading again. 

Got to grips with it in a basic sense. Enough to know that the very fabric of this reality is not what it's seems.

lol yeah he was a funny bugger, come across as a mad eccentric but he wasn't, just smarter than a rubix cube.

@Crentz Aye mate flat earth. Very interesting subject. The story of God vs the Devil. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist ;)

Yes exactly. I think training like this will no doubt increase the quality of bud production compared to a plant that is grown au natural or simply topped at the eighth node.

Its just whether the increased quality is worth the trade off in increased veg. Having talked to a fellow mainliner last night, someone who has the technique nailed, I do now think that the slow veg I'm seeing is more my fault (inexperience with coco) than the mainlinning.

His plants using the same tech, for the same veg time are waaaay bigger than my plants. I think it was letting the coco dry out stunted the shit outta them so I'll give it another go with the Exodus and Critical clones at a later date to compare! ATB fellow Stoners!

4 people like this

I must say I'm loving the direction this thread is going :)

Some great chat, advice and overall a good grow going on with some very interesting technique in play :)

Some very fine looking bubble hash mate and the "gummy bear lady" what a nice person to bump into :)

Plants are looking spot on with some great growth and some very impressive lst to even out that canopy :)

Fine work good sir :)

Will be back in in the next update until then keep up the great work and continued updates very much appreciated!

Until next time mate :bong:

All the best 

Mark.. 

3 people like this

Hey Mark thanks brother! As The Streets put it

Eh hello. My names Tim and I'm a criminal, 
In the eyes of society I need to be in jail 
For the choice of herbs I inhale. 
This ain't no wholesale operation 
Just a few eighths and some Playstations my's vocation 
I pose a threat to the nation 
And down the station the police hold no patients 
Let's talk space and time 
I like to get deep sometimes and think about Einstein 
And Carl Young And old Kung Fu movies I like to see 
Pass the hydrator please 
Yeah I'm floating on thin air. 
Going to Amsterdam in the New Year - top gear there 
'Cause I taker pride in my hobby 
Home made bongs using my engineering degree 
Dear Leaders, please legalize weed for these reasons. 

Fuckin genius, The Irony of it all.

It's been great having people contribute, feel like I'm talking to myself otherwise.

lol Gummy bear lady, heaven sent angel she was. 

Ideally I like to pot these girls up into 20L and veg them some more but with xmas round the corner I'm going to have to leave it and flower as is.

large.IMG_2268.jpglarge.IMG_2270.jpglarge.IMG_2271.jpglarge.IMG_2269.jpglarge.IMG_2272.jpglarge.IMG_2273.jpg

Good thing I took the girls out for an inspection, noticed I'd missed a copper tie that had started to garot a limblarge.IMG_2274.jpg

loving the purps on the Exodus stemlarge.IMG_2275.jpg

All these lower growth tops I was going to remove for clones but I may just leave them and pray the revegging works.large.IMG_2276.jpg

2 people like this