Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
odiee

boxfan

hi folks which fan is the quietest ,looking for recommendations on a fan capable of cooling a 1x2m area with 2 600s and passive intake ,will be  using a oversized filter and ram fan controller ,ive seen the area calculator but cant work it out ,was thinking a fan capable of 1500cfm ?

Owd

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Owd

doesn't really say anything about fans goes onto controllers .but sounds like a box fan is noisy ?

Posted (edited)

I used to work in a shop and when you get to 6" size fans there are no quiet fans out there when run at full chat. Thats why folk run oversized fans coupled with a good controller and turn the fan down.

Very difficult though to run a decent sized fan with passives because unless you have the right sized passives you will put pressure on the fan and suppress it

Owd

Edited by Owderb
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Owderb

thanks for the reply I hear  what your saying so what size fan would be oversize for that area ? how many cfm ? I have a ram controller too turn it down

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed

I run 2x600's in a 2.4x1.2 and use an 8" but I use a 6" intake but both are turned down. Mine is 1500cfm but its turned down to half speed, then I set the 6" just to give me negative pressure but like I said earlier it all depends on how big your passives are when not running an active

Owd

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Owderb

what fan if you don't mind me asking also I will be using cookerhood filter for the passive hole which I haven't cut out yet ,roughly what size hole if I use a 8" fan

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition

My fan is a Mdf boxed squirrel fan with no name on it. We used to sell them in the shop but the chap that did them never really branded them as far as I know. They were made in Birmingham somewhere

You would normally need 5x your extract but with running it less than full power you should get away with 3x. Thinking about it you might need the 5 because cooker hood filters stop a lot more flow than you think

Owd

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Owderb

so five  8" holes for passive then ? if so that's half my wall missing or have I got it wrong

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition

just realised I'm using quote sorry my bad

Yep but like I said you might get away with 3 but not if they are covered by cooker hood filters

Owd