Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lazarus1.0

Home made butane extraction question

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just to keep everyone safe, always open blast outdoors, even with a CLS unless your 100% sure you've got no leaks then crack on but anything with butane is risky!

No lighters no sparks, try not to be too stoned while doing anything with flammable materials, life's to precious! 

Peace GJ420

Edited by Geordiejames420
4 people like this

5 hours ago, SMEG HEAD said:

Why butcher a perfectly good bag? You can buy screen that's cheaper and even those squishit branded nylon bags that are even easier to work with.

The reason why people bother with butane is the fact that you get a result that's different to straight up water/sifting extraction and preserve your terpenes, I love hash and it's taste but I've had proper shatter(from a closed loop system, filtered and vac purged) in Amsterdam that tastes like you've just eaten the smell, if it was a solid edible substance, of a well cured bud.

I won't use butane myself as I can't afford the proper gear to eliminate the contaminants found in Butane and the cans.

If you go back and read over my post fella you can see i said a 'bubble bag drying screen', not the bag its self. 

To me using butane, the risk v reward doesnt seem worth it. Same goes for the costs of the vac purge + butane + cls system if you want to go that far.

Ive been tumbling all my material before i run it through the bubble bags and honestly i havent noticed a difference in the outcome of the rosin between using dry sift and bubble hash.

I just made some rosin from some super orange glue trim that i had knocking around and that stuff tastes and smells crazy, like pure orange funk.

@blazeee My apologies pal so you did! I blame the skunk, always do.

I haven't got a tumbler, yet, I dry sift using a set of screens and a lot of hard work If I don't want to Rosin it all. I also have Bubble bags but haven't used them since Dec '15 as I was getting into Rosin with dry sift as it's a decent yielding method compared with pressing buds. I use hair straighteners to press and am unable to get the temps low enough to preserve enough terpenes but the reason I go for rosin is so I can use it on my vapexhale nails, I try not to combust too much these days and stick to a small joint at night. 

This is my way

large.598d767bf148a_DSCF3513(800x600).jpg

Old Honeybee tubelarge.598d767cb5c84_DSCF3514(800x600).jpg

Ground up frozen trim

large.598d767d65757_DSCF3515(800x600).jpg

Into the Tube

large.598d767eb3765_DSCF3517(800x600).jpg

Coffee filter and screw on the end cap tight

large.598d767f5a1dd_DSCF3518(800x600).jpg

All leccy off no fags or joints and back door wide open

large.598d768574a61_DSCF3530(800x600).jpg

Oil on top of the hot water,now gone cold lol

large.598d76861bd95_DSCF3531(800x600).jpg

large.598d76875743e_DSCF3534(800x600).jpg

Oil on side of bowl to be scraped,into freezer and out until it runs a little then back into freezer for about 5 or 6 times and after a little scrape up this is how it comes out...not bad for 2 quids worth of butane lol

large.598d768881321_DSCF3559(640x480).jpg

large.598d768916149_DSCF3560(640x480).jpg

large.598d7689aa12f_DSCF3566(800x600).jpg

large.598d768a2f2ba_DSCF3572(640x480).jpg

large.598d768aaf99d_DSCF3573(640x480).jpg

large.598d768b497ee_DSCF3574(800x600).jpg

large.598d768bbdfc3_DSCF3575(640x480).jpg

Its easy and no need to blow yself up with plenty of ventilation and common sense,enjoy

Peace

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm afraid to say that I'm another one who does it inside though not in the kitchen, I do mine in the lavvy on a large shelf just under the window,

so I open the window to let the gas escape, I have a cooling fan blowing toward's the window so that after I've done a run, the gas is blown out the window.

as for my method of choice, I got a 24" long tube made of stainless steel & halved it to make two tube's, then with a metal screen mesh & coffee filter bolted

on to one end with a jubilee clip< I use a large rubber bung with a hole in it for allowing the gas into the tube.

here's some pic's

gallery_36349_2174_52910.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_5393.jpg  large.59034dfe70f77_trimbho.jpg

Edited by Joint hogger
4 people like this

Anyone thinking this is safe to do inside, please watch this video. In it, you'll see that even professionals struggle to make butane explode. That doesn't mean it doesn't though and when it does it is nasty.

It's easy to be lucky many times, all it takes is that one time when you get the air/fuel mixture right (or wrong depending how you look at it!) and boom! You're dead and you've taken out half your house as well. And just for good measure the media then have more ammunition about the dangers of cannabis :wallbash:

4 people like this

Is that hdpe?

I make a little spirits from time to time, and only ptfe and hdpe are acceptable. That's ethanol though, not butane.

I do like a little honey, and was thinking a mouldy outdoor crop could be made good. Peeps are using 0.2 micron filters, but mould is usually a lot bigger than that. Vacuum filter flasks are cheap enough. I'm just undecided.

Last time I used a coffee thing from asda. It's an actual pyrex beaker with a lid that has a central hole, once the useful filter was removed. It even sits in a plastic sleeve to give a handle. It's a common respected brand and perhaps when you see one next you will look at it in a different light. Bodum perhaps?

I put mine through a hard carbon filter, many many times. It's like clear hunny and still kept it's smell. It must be 10yo now at least. I think I made too much lol  The weed was like speed, and the oil gives you a real readybrek glow.

Perhaps I don't need anymore. The coffee thing is worth looking at though.

Had the top blow of a tube once, didn't ignite fortunately just too much pressure, weed was and still is embedded in the roof of the garage, be careful folks.

@Joint hogger

Dude i love that metal tube how much trim does it hold roughly please ? its the only prob with the tiny honeybee i need more end product from one run than having to do multiple little runs .

peace

@SkyRider 3600c & 1 tonne of pressure :shock:

cheers for the link 

Posted (edited)

I do it outside in a Pyrex dish, if it's a reasonably warm day most of the butane evaporates it's self without any other heat applied, then when i purge it I just put the dish in a slow cooker on low and pop the bubbles as they rise, once gathered into a silicon container I freeze the warm, freeze then warm. That being said I think QWISO is underrated if done correctly and purged nicely. It's a safer extraction you've just got to keep the wash quick and use cured bud, I like rosin but I think you need a decent press to make it work while personally. 

Edited by VikingDee
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Happy Hippy said:

i love that metal tube how much trim does it hold roughly please

dont really know mate as I usually use bone dry trim so a lot goes in the two 12" tube's, though if you used a longer bit of tubing, you'd get more in,

it's also better to use a narrower width of tubing, here's some more pic's of what I used as a filter at the bottom & a laboratory rubber bung with a 2mm hole

in the centre for the gas to go in, also, the secret for tightening the rubber bung isnt by hitting it in, you'll get a face full of gas & wet trim ! you need to

hold the top of the bung tightly & twist it in to make a good seal. so I started out with the 600mm tube & as I said, I halved it into two 300mm - 12" bits.

gallery_36349_2174_52910.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_77193.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_36150.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_47204.jpg

I also use coffee filters over the metal screen to further filter any crap out.

gallery_36349_2174_41696.jpg  gallery_36349_2174_821.jpg

forgot to say, when running gas through the tubing, the tube freeze's up so I use an old dish cloth wrapped around the middle of the tube & held in place with some duct tape to prevent you getting a frost burn.

Edited by Joint hogger
3 people like this

@Joint hogger

Thanks man im going to start looking for some pipe and stuff,i have no probs with the small honeybee but i need more lol and without multiple runs..

cheers for taking time to explain dude

peace