Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lazarus1.0

Home made butane extraction question

28 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, if someone wanted to make a homemade butane extraction, as opposed to using the premade glass tubes, what material would be best to use. Im thinking something that the solvent wouldnt break down and thus give plastics in the final product. Would pvc pipes suffice, or is there another foolsafe material to use?

Many thanks :)

I don't touch Butane myself but I have read about people buying stainless steel turkey basters and using them, you just take off the rubber squeezer and use that end for your gauze and then the other end you may or may not have to cut slightly to get your butane nozzle to fit.

Personally though I would use something that doesn't have the chance to create a spark, Butane is dodgy stuff!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I was looking at a 1000w hps bulb and getting ideas a while back. I'm certain it would be possible repurpose one but you'd need to know what you were doing as far as cutting the glass at the connection end. There's a handy little dimple in the other end of the one I had, ready for inserting a gas can nozzle into. Just needs breaking open from the inside. As it's a hps (high pressure sodium) I imagine (but could of course be wrong) that the glass is strong enough to hold the pressure of butane gass going through it. Then all you needs is a bit of filter paper of your choosing and an adjustable pipe clamp like the ones regularly used for ducting.

Obviously there are better options though. In answer to your question there are poeple using large plastic piping but I don't know what type of plastic it is. Not sure but I guess plumbing piping should be ok as it has to carry consumable water and not leech any sketchy chem's as well as handling the stuff people put down their sinks/drains. Bleach would melt some plastics. The original Honey Bee is made of plastic thinking about it. Search their site up and see what theirs is made of. I bought an updated glass version from amazon for 40 quid and it holds a good amount. Much bigger than the original honey bee which is pretty tiny.

I wouldn't be keen on using any kind of plastic though.

Edited by Snowziff

I make oil a different way to those tube extractors but I just use glass jars. Dough Egberts caters for this purpose. I just fill one of those jars 2/3 with trim, use the plastic stopper part of the lid. Stick a piece of duct tape over that so it doesn't bend too much and then put 2 holes in that lid. One for air out and one for gas in. You don't want any source of ignition anywhere near this. Even clothing which gets statically charged. With the jar method that's the most dangerous part of it becasue the gas becomes explosive in that jar.

I've set fire to my extraction a couple of times now. Once when I was evaporating into the air from an open bowl. I think I lit a spliff directly over the bowl and up it went quick. My tshirt came off fast and smothered that before all the butane burned off. The other time I was doing it on the kitchen counter about 2ft from an open flame. I didn't even see the flame. I forgot to turn the hob off on the cooker. The temperature change cracked the bottom of my jar when I started putting gas in. I put a whole can in there without knowing about the crack. That whole can leaked all over the kitchen counter. Then, in what seemed like slow motion, I noticed that little cloud of gas making it's way towards this flame. All of a sudden the whole kitchen counter was on fire. Luckily the jar didn't blow up but I had some plastic stuff melted to the counter afterwards. The adrenaline shot I got off that one was next level lol I must've made oil 100+ times by now so I'm doing alright by my standards, with just the 2 incidents.

Butane isn't that scary unless you've pressurised the gas. If you confine the gas then it's explosive. In open air it catches fire and burns off rapidly but doesn't explode. People always say to do it in a well ventilated room which is sound advice to stay completely safe but I calculated how many tins of gas it would take in the volume of room I use to create an explosive atmosphere. I need a lot more gas to make the room explosive. Still, I like a bit of danger to my day so maybe that's just for me.

Sorry, bit of a safety tangent there, or lack thereof. I think my point was glass is the best when dealing with butane. I never use any plastics in the process because I have no idea what chemicals are being ripped from the plastic by the solvent.

I like that idea about using the bulb glass. That might be good. Depends how it responded to the cold of the butane. Maybe you'd have to pre cool the glass beforehand to keep it from cracking. I like that idea. I'll try that myself.

I'm gonna try steam distilation soon. I've read loads about extractions over the last few months. Steam distilation seems to be less harmful to the terps in plants. Never seen anyone do it with bud either.

Anyway, good luck with your oil production man.

I use a Honeybee extractor tube and with common sense never had a problem,i put 2 cans of butane through each time,ground,dried and frozen trim into a bowl of hot water after turning off all the leccy appliances in the kitchen open the back door and sit with the honeybee over the bowl of hot water,it makes a fantastic fog effect that stays ankle height and you can literally blow it out the door with a wave of a newspaper or similar lol,the oil floats on the top of the now freezing cold water and i use a little scraper to drag it all together on top of the water then just lift it out onto plastic work it a little then into the freezer and out for a few times..im smoking some right now and its made the joint nice and strong i will do my way of it in pics tomorrow when i see my daughter cos i cant hold the camera as well lol.

peace

3 people like this

Which honeybee do you have, @Happy Hippy ?

Posted (edited)

Err its just a blue one with a screw cap bought it at wembley hemp expo years ago.

peace

Sorry forgot @Snowziff

Edited by Happy Hippy
1 person likes this

Do you buy replacement filter paper for it or make/cut your own, chap?

@Snowziff

Just use a coffee filter and screw the end cap over it so lots of bits dont come through.

peace

1 person likes this

@Blayz'd

Mate I have to respectfully disagree. I don't believe for a second that the amount of butane you use ISN'T enough to blow your kitchen up... I would not EVER advise (or suggest to) anyone to do it indoors..

Here's a few bits taken from:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

Clearly Butane is flammable and can be explosive, if confined in a small space and supplied with about 1.86 to 8.41 percent butane to atmospheric air content and an ignition source.

Butane liquid expands 288:1 when changing from a liquid to a vapor, and Henry's law tells us that the butane vapor and the air it combines with at 1.86%, expands in direct proportion to their temperature change. Butane in open air has a flame temperature of 1970C/3578F, so for instance if the butane vapor ignited at an ambient temperature of 291 Kelvin (18C/65F), it would expand about 7.2 times.

A 300 ml can of butane occupies about 18 cubic inches, X 288 = 5184 cubic inches.

5184 cubic inches divided by .00186 mixture = 2,787,097 cubic inches

2,787,097 cubic inches is 137 square feet if my calculations are correct...

Come on, your kitchen must be getting close to that.... and that's just using a single can!

For starters, I never personally do a butane extraction indoors or any confined space! None at all, zero, zip, forget about it! It is important to keep it below explosive limits!

I do it all outdoors, with a non sparking plastic fan blowing, not sucking, the butane evaporation away! Butane loves self abuse and will clump together and pool, being that it is heavier than air

6 people like this

Why bother with butane at all?

Get yourself a tumbler, some bubble bags and a hair straightener. Tumble everything first, give it a couple of runs. Then wash it in the bubble bags. Butcher your bubble bag drying screen up  and press your drysift / bubble hash in that to make some rosin.

Thats how i do it. Alot safer, no chance of blowing yourself up and you know your end product is clean.

Also saves money on cans of butane and a vac purge.

I would've blown myself up by now. I can tell you 100% proven through experimentation that 2 cans of gas in my kitchen isn't explosive or flammable (one thing always on my mind though is the lower half of the room lol That shit sinks lower down in the atmosphere). A 2ft radius around that evap bowl is explosive and when ignighted causes a jet type whoosh flame in the air. You can actually see the balloon of flame as the butane in the air gets eaten by the flame. Then whatever is in the bowl burns like a large clipper flame, reasonably calmly. That's a first hand account with 2 cans already in the air and a 5x4m room. There was more than 2 cans in the atmosphere by then and the air still wasn't explosive. That event was what actually made me calculate the figure of how many cans made the room explosive. I used several cans in an unventilated room, not giving a fuck. I'm certain that was extremely dangerous and explosive having considered it afterwards. I must take this moment to suggest the possibility angels were helping me out in this and other situations. Probably a blessing I set fire to that earlier rather than later.

I've also sparked up a fat spliff in the same room during evaporation on dozens of occasions, never more than 2 cans evaporating. I'm pretty sure I've tested it far enough to understand how it reacts now and that there's a dynamic at play which renders the equasions false. The practial doesn't match the theory.

From experience it hasn't been explosive. I'm not advocating, suggesting or advising anyone do things I do either, just so we're clear. I'm a uniquely crazy fucker that nobody should copy whatsoever tbh. I always have to make this point when I talk about butane man. This is just my experience and I've made oil enough times now. I could be completely wrong and one day end up in the news section having created a fucking nightmare. Still, after all the hands on experience of using butane I'm confident enough knowing how the butane behaves to take risks 99% of others wouldn't and probably shouldn't if they value their health.. but I'm still here, not blown up yet. Which so far is proof to me that I'm right in my understanding.

Sorry bro, we'll have to agree to dissagree, respectfully.. yes. ;)

I have done some mad scientist shit with butane, I've played with it like a toy. Just to get back on topic I will say this. The best butane I ever made was in sub 0 temps, outdoors in the snow. I used the snow as a work bench which kept everything chill. Not only was the ground covered in snow but it was night time with clear skies and still winds. Like a perfect setting for making some oil. Perfectly safe for those concerned. That oil kept more terps intact through the process and the oil was something I've never seen or heard of since. I've never been able to replicate it. So this is advise, make oil outdoors in the snow, during the night. Probably full moon or something. That's a good experience. Hopefully you get a miracle oil like I had.

Good luck with your oils ;)

1 person likes this

@Blayz'd Everyone is welcome to their own opinion mate, I just think yours is a little dangerous to share on a forum. It's contradictory to the standard butane advice and it will almost definitely lead to people blowing their kitchens up.

The amount of mixture present in the air is going to depend on many things. You've more than likely just been lucky. Plenty of people do blow their homes up because they don't vent properly. I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think you are either mate and just being lucky 100 times isn't basis enough to suggest to others that it is safe...

Butane is fucking dangerous. Do it outside or not at all. Blowing homes up is what will kill our cannabis movement in the end.

3 people like this

@lazarus1.0 Hi there bud, I have made oil loads of times using most methods of extraction, but my favourite is butane, I have a thick plastic pipe,( it is a special type of plastic not affected by solvents) with a valve bonded on the end with a gas filling valve on the end, the tube takes around half an Oz to fill, I usually run 400 ml of butane through it into a long flat glass dish,large.IMG_2010.JPGlarge.IMG_2005.JPGoutside in a well ventilated area, usually me ally way, get  a good gram back,and everything else is sticky.

Yeaterday I took it around one of my mates and for a first time vaped some of it, weird, was like smoking without a hit on your throat, we were both thinking that it didn't work, but then his wife said something like would you like some shepherds pie Jibba and with that me and me mate were giggling like a couple of kids, proper laughter fit, lasted ages, hope that helps you out bud. Take care.:haveadab:Jj.

10 hours ago, blazeee said:

Why bother with butane at all?

Get yourself a tumbler, some bubble bags and a hair straightener. Tumble everything first, give it a couple of runs. Then wash it in the bubble bags. Butcher your bubble bag drying screen up  and press your drysift / bubble hash in that to make some rosin.

Thats how i do it. Alot safer, no chance of blowing yourself up and you know your end product is clean.

Also saves money on cans of butane and a vac purge.

Why butcher a perfectly good bag? You can buy screen that's cheaper and even those squishit branded nylon bags that are even easier to work with.

The reason why people bother with butane is the fact that you get a result that's different to straight up water/sifting extraction and preserve your terpenes, I love hash and it's taste but I've had proper shatter(from a closed loop system, filtered and vac purged) in Amsterdam that tastes like you've just eaten the smell, if it was a solid edible substance, of a well cured bud.

I won't use butane myself as I can't afford the proper gear to eliminate the contaminants found in Butane and the cans.