Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bazil brush

leaky pipe airstone

was going to make an airstone from leaky pipe, the leaky pipe i got is made from recycled car tyres, how safe would this be in a dwc setup? would it leach much into the water?

In light of you getting no replies, I will beat about the bush a bit.

These are designed to go in flower beds. You would think that made them safe for plants.

They are likely oil based like Vaseline, which you can rub on stems to seal them from mould ingress when gorilla growing.

People grow in tyres as containers. This years outdoor plant getting the most attention is in a tyre.

These facts all align to say it's not going to be a toxicity problem.

I think you will need a lot of air supplied to make it work. Too little and water will seep in, and the air will just leave where it can. I think you should try it ion the bath before installing anything. The hose idea isn't new, but has it been widely adopted?

1 person likes this

not sure man, there is a guy selling them on eaby, he has made it into a circle that pumps air out.

One of the pound shops has plastic ones in at 50p right now. I think a proper air-stone is going to be hard to beat though. All those fine bubbles, putting so much air in direct contact with the water.

1 person likes this