Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

steve50

one plant, two light periods

79 posts in this topic

you know when a idea gets in your head and its like a flea that wont go away, well
this is my flea that wont go away.

A cannabis plant will stay in veg mode indefinately if kept under a long light cycle
and when the plant is exposed to a 12 hour light cycle it will go into flowering mode. as i understand the plant responds locally i.e. the part of a plant changes
to the light cycle as its genetically programmed to do, so if one branch of the plant is exposed to 12 hrs of light but the rest of the plant is exposed to 18hrs light that one branch will flower but the main plant will still continue in veg mode.

so if a light proof partition wall was made and that one branch poked through into
a light proof box with a 12 hr light period, that one branch would flower and grow the lovely bud we all want
but the main plant would still behave as a vegging plant

to follow through that thought, lets say on the first day of a month a fresh branch
from the 'mother' is poked into the flower box then eventually there would be a monthly bud ready to harvest, perfect for personal consumption and should the plod bust me i would only be in possetion of one plant and just get a slap on the wrist against several plants to maintain constant supply for my needs.

as with all cunning plans i xpect there is a major flaw but i cant see one. the leaves produce the same essential chemicals no matter the stage of the plant, the suction of those chemicals goes wherever the plant needs it the most, flower heads sucks more than roots so roots stop growing and flower heads suck the goodness from leaves goes where the plant wants it more, up rather than down

clearly the feed needs to be a bit of everything and the finished bud will be a bit green and take longer to cure but to have a perpetual supply of percy it would eventually be ideal i would have thought

I would just run a one plant scrog, if you main concern is being busted with more than one plant.

I have no idea if what you said works  or not so i will just take your word for it, but either way the one plant scrog method seems like a much easier method.

Sounds like a good way to hermie a plant to me. I suppose it could work but sounds stressful to the plant as a whole 

4 people like this

hermies happen when the genetic program doesn't go as planned, im not a biologist, but plants react at a local level as far as I can tell. there is no circulating system with hormones, the plants just react to light period. at some point someone will tell me its ridiculous for some reason but I cant find that reason myself that's all

Try it then mate and do a diary :george:

2 people like this

heh ill give it a day or two in case someone with real knowledge says its stupid if not then il give it a go. like I said its a flea that's buzzing in my ear

@steve50 can't see in flowering one beanch of it mate, I would have thought it would stay in veg, possibly hermie, wouldn't want to waste my time trying to be honest bud, that's a fair bit of effort to go to, all the best with whatever you decide.Jj:yinyang:

Posted (edited)

Cannabis hormones 

You guys know there is something called Google don't you?

Edited by Owderb
Link removed

yeah the branch exposed to extra darkness would flower or vice versa , possibly strain dependent.

but as a practical idea for a grow,  putting one bud into flower at a time and all that?  what have you been smoking?  oh wait yeah, this is a cannabis forum lol

frankly i dont think plod are gonna do much different if youve got one plant or 3 or more so long as its clearly personal and not double figures ...  

If you interrupt 12 hour darkness with a light leak, the plant will not flower.......

It doesn't matter where on the plant the light leak falls, the whole plant will refuse to flower......

The part of the plant you intend to keep in veg is one huge light leak.......

Nothing will flower.........

cheers  :yep:

3 people like this

54 minutes ago, steve50 said:

but plants react at a local level as far as I can tell. there is no circulating system with hormones, the plants just react to light period.

You need to ask yourself how are they reacting to the light period? 

Very very simply It's via a photochemical process called photoperiodism, they react by photons and hormone balance. In short day plants case (I think) there is a pigment in the plant leaf that measures red and far red light, when the pigment is excited by a red photon it "flips" over to far red, during the dark cycle these pigments flip back to a state that is excited by red photons, at the end of the cycle not all the pigments flip back. I suspect that this pigment flip flopping helps the plant to determine its "age" and stage of sexual maturity. I suspect also this is how a plant will show its sex before 12/12. 

When the dark hours are reduced for flowering, more of these pigments stay flipped to the far red position and I suspect the plant knows that the nights are longer and therefore time to start making more flowering hormone. 

Basically your idea won't work, it's not local to certain areas of the plant.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

If you interrupt 12 hour darkness with a light leak, the plant will not flower.......

It doesn't matter where on the plant the light leak falls, the whole plant will refuse to flower......

The part of the plant you intend to keep in veg is one huge light leak.......

Nothing will flower.........

cheers  :yep:

you never had a plant with one part vegging and one part flowering before?    

light leak is slightly different to a controlled lighting / darkening of a particular section. 

Posted (edited)

How I understood it was florigen was not immobile. 

When  the photoperiod changes these growth hormones are as I understand it, translocated through the plant from where they are produced in the leaves

Personally, in my humble opinion, it won't work if I understand the hormonal changes and translocation of said hormones throughout the plant correctly.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
Simplify
2 people like this

My first grow was in an nft tank.  It went mental.  I couldn't access the bottom of the tank due to the plants and the size of room.  Some branches grew way in behind the black and white sheets on the wall.  It was a vigorous plant.  

In short the branches behind the black and white still flowered despite having no direct light and no localised photoperiod as such.  The buds from behind the black and white were anaemic and pearly white.  Not as well structured as the rest but still trichome laden buds.  Weird eh?

I gave the white buds to a friend growing in the city and told him it was a strain called ghost train for a laugh....

;)

5 people like this

17 hours ago, Golden Syrup said:

When the dark hours are reduced for flowering, more of these pigments stay flipped to the far red position and I suspect the plant knows that the nights are longer and therefore time to start making more flowering hormone. 

thanks that gave me the area to look into. Your talking about phytocrome Pr and Pfr.  

At night Pr builds up and light converts Pr into Pfr so when concentrations of Pr are high and Pfr are low it triggers flowering and this information in the leaves travel to the shoot apices.

But does this information from the leaf just go up the branch or to the rest of the plant, its hard to find out, ive read trials where a long day leaf grafted onto a short day plant triggered the short day plant to flower

Ive seen on this site where growers take off all the lower leaves before flowering but haven't noticed whether the bare low branches stretch like the upper branches do

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

How I understood it was florigen was not immobile. 

has florigen been confirmed to exist?

Its a hare brained idea I guess and you all probably think im a fool but I have a plant vegging atm that is nearly mature enough to flower, so im going to give it a go for a laugh, whats the worst that could happen