Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Al Swearengen

Thrips at start of 5th week of flower , would you spray with SBPI ?

35 posts in this topic

Hi @Shink , sorry I only saw your reply now mate. There little feckers these  thrips. Does look like there larvae from your pic above . I went down the sand and sticky traps route and it's seemed to keep them at bay. I'd say I'll make fresh frozen hash out of any lower bits that have been effected. I'm not far off finishing now , some varietys will get the chop next week and some the following week , than a few remainders need an extra week again . I think the thrips have slowed down everything a bit but nothing major . 

They seem to not go for the buds , maybe the lower spindly stuff that I missed when I gave the bottoms a good trim back but as I said I'll just hash those effected bits . I hope when there hanging that the thrips will  feck off and leave the harvest as to dry as normal . From what I've read it seems to be the case. 

Good luck in getting to the end mate , nearly there 

1 person likes this

Hey pal, thanks for the response. I ended up going for a pyrethrin-based concentrate, mixed up in a 360 pump-action spray and doused the girls. as per the instructions This was a week ago. I also went for the sharp sand over the soil. Pleased to report that to date I've not found a single larvae since, nor any new damage. Given I start week 7 tomorrow I think they're taken care of. Also very glad they never took hold properly!! 

Hope the deserved harvest goes well man!! :) 

2 people like this

Interesting thread, just by reading you gave me the idea to use sand on top of my pots.. Shows how great collective mind pooling is, thanks guys :yep:

I'm also just starting to see the silvery streaks on my weed leaves too, but not seeing anything else. Just tracks and ghosted out areas on the leaf. Nowhere near flower stage yet, so plan to start sorting out the bug gers tomorrow. One thing i did see on my plants were white fly, tried searching google for damage done by white fly to leaf but wasn't really clear. I got the impression damage was similar to thrip. Has anyone had problem with white fly and was the damage similar?

I number of years ago i had a thrips infestation and they didn't avoid the buds. Sprayed them twice a day with insecticidal dog shampoo, that eventually knocked them back. Maybe do the same again with a pump spray along with covering the top soil... 

Happy grows all round :smokin: 

Edited by inbetween

Hi inbetween , I've never had whitefly so unfortunately I can't  advise you on that one. Someone here will be able to help you though , I think the best thing to do would start a new topic and someone will surely come along with knowledge . If your seeing signs of thrips now defo best to be proactive and take care of them at the early stages especially that your still in Veg. When  I previously had thrips I would spray with Harkers mectin ( the one with the pigeon on the packaging ) but you shouldn't use it in flower especially not after around week 2 so was too late for me this time . I have a bottle of SBPI but that is still in opened as I read it may cause problems with leaf mutation and growth development . This was previously mentioned in this topic. 

Tonight I'm going to take the sand off the top of the plants that will be done in a week to ten days . I'm taking the sand off so I can water from the top as I have been watering from the bottom since using the sand . I'm thinking watering from the top will flush the soil out better for the last couple of waterings . 

Im a bit worried now u said u had thrips in your buds? Was it a very bad infestation? How were the buds after harvest ? Was there dead thrips present? I must say I think I'm in the clear and have been lucky they have stuck to the major fan leaves and not buds . I have had on 1 ocassion a few dead fungus gnats in buds of one plant , but was very limited at that.

thanks for dropping by 

Al 

2 people like this

Thanks again for the info, i just read this piece of information on another site and don't think it can hurt to try....  Thrips can be controlled by use of tobacco sprays. Rotenone, or Malathion. Aluminium-foil mulches are effective thrip repellents. The light reflected from the foil confuses their sense of direction...

Thinking back i do remember using the tobacco spray, but i get confused now whether it was for aphids or thrips. Here in the mountains i have problems with both the little critters :( But either way i think the tobacco spray worked eventually, i used to save up my tab ends and soak them in water. Then filter and dilute with water and keep spraying under the leaves, of course i'd removed the worst infested leaves first. I stopped the tobac now though so i guess if i can't control i'll get my mate to save his tabs for me. The foil, sounds interesting and it's at hand so why not.. Definitely going to cover with sand the top of soil, maybe still feed with irrigation drips from the top though with the heat been crazy most days around now.

Thrips on the buds.. makes me sad to think back to the nightmare and it was a bad infestation, mainly because the turn up over night literally after a storm. So had no way to control they just hit everything on the plant at the wrong time. All i could think to do was remove what i could and put the buds on the stems in the freeze, idea was to freeze them to death and shake them off. Yeah i killed them, but turned my buds brown in the process :/

I don't think the same thing will happen this time as i'm growing outdoor but close to a covered area, so put them away at night and at any sign of bad weather. Doesn't stop the crickets and grasshoppers, but they haven't been a problem so far.

I think with the white fly they are not so much a problem, but for sure would be interesting to know the damage they do and what to look for. tbh, so far i have only seen a couple when turning over leaves investigating. Whatever it is, it does it at night i reckon. But your right, could be worth opening up a topic.

Main thing is we know what we have to deal with, then sort it and glad to know you've just about sorted your little pest out :D  

Edited by inbetween

@Al Swearengen did you manage to track down Spinosad for a decent price? Feckers got me too. 

Looks like it's not approved in EU. Roll on Brexit for this alone!

I used SBPI Al and it fucked my plants like Owd`s, just stopped growing, but I wouldn`t use anything at week 5 any more.

2 people like this

Bobnudd hi man , no unfortunately I could only source spinosad from the states at a ridiculous price at that and as you say if it's not approved in EU ,  the customs would have probably seized it in Eire. I'd definitely go the playpit sand and sticky traps route rather than using nothing as it seems to keep the little cocksuckers at bay. If you do use sand just make sure your plants are well staked or supported as you defo don't want the buds touching near the sand . 

Hey Ratty man , thanks for the info , glad I didn't use the SBPI in the end so , what a disaster that sounds like . Fucking nightmare you get so far and than they just stop growing . Thought that stuff was meant to be Organic , non toxic and can be used right up to harvest on fruits and veg . I have a brand new full bottle that will make good as a paper weight . Hope your keeping well Ratty , nice to hear from you man. 

I have 3 plants down this evening , 2 Cream Mandarines and 1 C+2.0 . Besides some ugly looking lowers that I'll be keeping for a fresh frozen hash run , the damage doesn't look too bad , just on some fan leaves which I've stripped before the chop.

its beeen a long few weeks , I'll be glad when the rest are chopped over the next 10-14days . I think I'll take a break on growing for a while and concentrate on making my Bonzai mums look tip top Magoo .

respect,

Al 

1 person likes this

Cheers @Al Swearengen Good luck with your battle. I've been on the neem soak route. Can't find many thrips on the plants at all. But the damage is quite extensive especially on the auto. 

Conicindence maybe but the plant in notill pot has less damage than other two. The plant in organic soil mix less damage than auto, which was in std compost with worm castings on top   The organic soil mix has neem in it. 

Read a few things over the last day. The addition of a dead mulch may help apparently. As may scent trapping using vanilla essence soaked cotton wool balls. Said they climb in then can't find way out. As may EWC due to beneficials. 

Well who knows. I fear I have a load of eggs waiting to hatch :fear: 

Have deployed said cotton wool and gave a neem tea drench again to soil. And will also give a ewc top dress. 

Question on to others. When you have seen a fair bit of leaf damage have you also seen like 100,s thrips if shake testing, or looking with the scope? All I can find is damage and shit and only shook two off the auto last night. 

Cheers

I thought SBPI was good stuff. 

Plants in veg always get a shot of it, and in flower for a week or so. The best treatment I've found is any "mectin" type miticide but never in flower. It's a great preventative. The sharp sand top dressed over compost helps. Dunking the plants in a solution and some folks vacuum the feckers. 

I thought SBPI was good stuff. 

Plants in veg always get a shot of it, and in flower for a week or so. The best treatment I've found is any "mectin" type miticide but never in flower. It's a great preventative. The sharp sand top dressed over compost helps. Dunking the plants in a solution and some folks vacuum the feckers. 

I used a pyrethrin-based concentrate in week 5 of flower with a hand-pump 360 spray bottle to combat thrips. Also, the layer of sand. I'm now in week 8 and I haven't seen a single larvae or new damage since! 

SHiNK 

Edited by Shink
Typo

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, Percygrower_420 said:

it's not actually that bad kinda under control but just can't get rid,

This, if you have time on your hands its doable 

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Al Swearengen said:

Hi Owd thanks for the advice there man , and if I do decide to use sbpi I will do a test as you said , seems best way is proceed with caution . Wonder why some folks have had a positive and and others negative results  like you have ?  

By trying to help them , I don't want to fuck them up and make them worse.

thanks a lot man 

I know this is old lol, but i'd like to know why some have found it effective and why its pretty much finished of others ???? Weird

@Stokeboy I never got to that bottom of that mystery , still have the same bottle of SBPI unopened, good product? I have no idea, excellent paper weight though :cowboy:

1 person likes this