Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tisseo

New to growing, new to hydro!

17 posts in this topic

Right, a mate has been growing for a fair bit, always grows crap buds. He uses the hydro system. I dont know much about what he does but everytime the weed, no matter the strain, smells like grass, even after drying and curing its never nothing special, he always ends up buying weed even though he has a few ounces!

This time round i said i would help, get a different opinion and see if i can help him grow better weed.

First thing i went about changing was the strain, i chose an easy strain to grow according to the vendor ( super cheese/swiss skunk).  Now im setting about finding a rough grow guide just to set me off, and to help me grow the 2 plants according to a more experienced growers instructions, obviously whilst learning along the way!

He has a tent and all the lights etc, i will find out more info later as i know you need to know specifics. As of now i just want to start a thread rolling and start gaining some valuable info if you wouldnt mind, so feel free to fire away with dos and donts etc and maybe some useful links, not meaning to be lazy, i just like to talk directly rather than having to necro old posts and stuff.

Thanks in advance, Tisseo.

@Tisseo if all his strains are smelling like hay I'd say it was 90% likely his growing environment and drying conditions are shite. There's also the possibility he's mega over feeding as well. I don't think it's as likely to be the strain. To really know what's wrong we need that more info you intend on getting. Do you know how he is drying ? Also how do the plants smell when they are growing ? A lot of that hay smell comes from drying far to quick. Just so you know even when drying correctly it goes through a hay smell stage, I've seen many a thread of people panicking because of this. Try and get a couple of pics (with the grow lights off) of the plants, preferably the whole plant, and a few of his set up. Minimum night time temps and maximum lights on temps would be handy too :)  

2 people like this

Thanks very much mate. Like i said i will gather more technical info for you when i see him. From what ive noticed when hes growing, they all smell pretty good and are nice and sticky when growing, its once its dried it just loses all smell. 

He drys in his tent on nets, with just the filter and fan circulating air. Then obviously jars it up. The last grow is jarred up now and after a month of curing has a slight peppery minty smell. Also doesnt hardly get you stoned, hence why i stepped in after numerous shit grows. I thought i would join a forum and root out issues.

In terms of over feeding i think he goes by the grow guides provided by the feed hes using at the time. It was Canna on his latest grow, ive read that their suggested levels of feeds maybe too much? 

Edited by Tisseo

Could it be that he's cropping way too early?....how many weeks does he have them on 12/12?

Edited by Billy2Hats
2 people like this

He has them on 12/12 for ten weeks and does 3 weeks before he switches them.

Im going to post a few pics now regarding grow environment and equipment. Ideally im looking for a sort of grow guide for our next grow. As im fairly new to it all, im not a donut so no worries there i just want him to grow some good weed as its his last grow!

Thanks in advance and ill answer any questions. Thanks

Wow the image uploader is none existant, can i directly post photobucket images? 

Managed to use the house uploader. Painful! lol

Edited by Tisseo

Tent size is 2m high, 1200mm wide, 600mm deep

60ltr dwc oxypot, together with a bubbling machine with 2 stones, one six inch oscilating fan (using 2 this time round to circulate better, one either end opposite sides. 

Any more info needed just ask.

Dunno about the ballast but lumii bulbs ime are shit yer lucky if ye get a full grow outta them before they blow I had a running arguement wi an online grow shop about these a few years back

2 people like this

@Tisseo  Isn't that the Aeroponics system there mate?

It was all bought seperately by him mate. Or are we referring to the system we are intending to grow via. Sorry total noob!

2 hours ago, GreenVision said:

@Tisseo  Isn't that the Aeroponics system there mate?

@GreenVision sorry no mate it isnt an aeroponics system, i dont know the terminoligy but the roots dangle into the water, with a bubbler underneath . Just got home and done a tad more research thought it was aeroponics at first but i also read the roots are sprayed with mist, this isnt like that. Gonna go for it i think, temp control will surely be our biggest issue in summer, but even with soil it will affect us. Decided its easier for us to use a setup thays waiting for us.

Edited by Tisseo
1 person likes this

@Tisseo  Right I see mate. So its an OXY pot with two nets? Looked a bit shallow so I thought it was one of those new aeroponic grow systems. :yep:

I'd maybe look into getting a better fan, the one in the images doesn't look as though it'll do an adequate job imo. 

The lumii ballasts are alright, they aren't the best but they aren't the worst either it'll do the job fine. As @hazy harry has already mentioned, if possible try and switch that lamp for something a bit better quality like a Grolux or a Sunmaster.

As for the taste being bad, it is probably down to the drying and growing. Flushing won't save an overfed crop, and cannabis is a super greedy plant which means that even though it'll take the strength of feed doesn't mean it's going to be beneficial to the end product. As always float your E.C on the lower side of things and watch what is happening in the tank, if the E.C is dropping raise it up slightly. Try to always err on the side of caution and only increase the E.C when the plants are telling and showing you that they want more, do not force feed them this results in a poor quality burn and no amount of flushing will stop that. 

IMO hang the branches whole, removing only the fan leaves, and leave it 7 - 14 days to dry before trimming. A slower dry results in a nicer, smoother, smoke.

1 person likes this