Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fatbagsofskunk

Salt buildup in autopots. Yellowing plants

This is my first time using autopots and I've come across a massive salt buildup problem to the point where I'm starting to see it appear on top of the coco and my plants are turning pale green/yellow.

I think the problem is that since starting on the autopots they have only had one feed of ph'd water (around 3L each from res over 4/5 days) between veg and flower. I'm now on day 27 of flower and my guess is that the salt buildup has caused the ph of my medium to drop and lockout some nutrients.

I first noticed a week ago that my plants had started to turn a lighter shade of green and one plant had started to get yellowing fan leaves. I thought this was an N deficiency so I upped the N in my next feed and shit has got way worse, now almost every plant has yellowing fan leaves with some getting rusty blotches spreading from the inside out. 

I have cleaned out my res and filled it with ph'd water, I'm planning on flushing them for 3/4 days and going from there. Is this the route you would take?

If anybody has any experience using autopots how often do u feed just water and what nutes do you use? I'm currently using the full ionic range with the coco base nutes.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Cheers 

Photos is where is at these days buddy,stick a few up and you'll help members to help you otherwise it's a shot in the dark.

When you said you upped the N was it just once or continually since? Being a dirt guy id use a little extra grow/n at every feed until the last week or two if needed.

Best of luck with it though I'm sure you'll get there.

14 minutes ago, Fatbagsofskunk said:

I think the problem is that since starting on the autopots they have only had one feed of ph'd water (around 3L each from res over 4/5 days) between veg and flower. 

Hi :) This kinda reads like you're just  using pH'd water? :unsure: What exactly are you feeding them please? And at what EC, CF or PPM? :) 

Cheers guys. I upped the N for for 6 days and it just got way worse and has spread to every plant. I have just filled the res with water ph'd to 6.5 and left it at that hoping it will flush some salts out. I was feeding them ionic coco bloom, SuperDrive, greenfuse bloom and pk boost with EC at 1.4/1.5. Am I doing right by trying to flush out the salts or would you try give them some grow feed or something?

cheers. I will upload a pic in min

large.image.jpeg

Theres a bit of clawing going on as well

I'd say you're trying to push them too hard, personally I'd forget about the pk and superdrive then just use bloom A + B at an EC of Maybe 1.0 or  1.2. No need to flush, just use a weaker nutrient solution until they recover. You should be feeding them every day with a pH of 6.0 - 6.2 or thereabouts during flower (imho) :) 

2 people like this

21 minutes ago, Saddam said:

I'd say you're trying to push them too hard, personally I'd forget about the pk and superdrive then just use bloom A + B at an EC of Maybe 1.0 or  1.2. No need to flush, just use a weaker nutrient solution until they recover. You should be feeding them every day with a pH of 6.0 - 6.2 or thereabouts during flower (imho) :) 

Cheers mate. I'll have a go with just the bloom at EC of 1.0 and see how they respond. The autopots are a bottom feeding system so how often they feed is down to how quick they take up the water in the autopots saucers. I was sceptical about buying them at first as I thought salt buildup would be a problem. Usually if I'm growing in soil/coco I would do feed-feed-water, with the autopots this is impossible but apparently not needed as they are bottom feeding and the salt buildup would rise to the top, which it has but looks like it's definitely effected the plants. 

1 person likes this

Can you lift the pots enough to put them over a bucket or tray and hand water each pot with a 1.0EC mix?  I'd do that if you can and try to get a nice runoff to remove salts from top. 

1 person likes this

It won't be easy as there's a scrog net half way up them, maybe can fit a propagator tray under but it'll be hard work getting to the back 2 plants. I'll have a look if it could be done when lights back on.

They are in 15L pots I'm using 60/40 coco/clay pebble mix, how much run off are we talking? Would you flush it through until I'm getting a 1.0 EC runoff?

Thanks

If you have a wet vacuum cleaner, you could just remove the runoff straight from the trays? I'd just aim for about 20% runoff, forget trying to measure the EC of what comes out, it'll only drive you mad. lol  

Haha no probs I'll give it a go and give an update on how it's going in couple days.