Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GrowingViking

Outdoor cheap greenhouse haveagrow!

260 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, GrowingViking said:

large.IMG_0630.PNG

The spray of death! 

Add a few drops of lemon washing up liquid 2 it, 4got 3 mention in earlier post. It helps 2 stick 2 da plant leafs :yep:.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Irishgirl said:

Add a few drops of lemon washing up liquid 2 it, 4got 3 mention in earlier post. It helps 2 stick 2 da plant leafs :yep:.

Do you think Olive Oil would be ok rather than soap? 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Irishgirl said:

Do you think Olive Oil would be ok rather than soap? 

1 person likes this

I add organic apple cider vinegar & lemon washing up liquid 2 tat mix u made :yep:. Da washing up liquid makes it stick :yep:.

2 people like this

large.IMG_0636.PNGlarge.IMG_0634.PNGlarge.IMG_0633.PNGlarge.IMG_0632.PNG

So here are the new seeds, and the LST I have had a go at on cookies kush and the two Pineapple Express plants. What's the verdict? Does this look remotely correct? I think I've given it a good even spread where I can. The plants are still quite young in size so I was as careful as I could be with them. 

Well impressed with the garden wire from Poundland though! Really flexible and really sturdy. 

Let me me know if you think they could be improved. 

Here's just a growth shot of the smallest Blue Treacle auto. I'm seeing loads of preflower now all over the place on these plants. I counted around 7/8 different spots just on this one alone. I'm not sure if that's standard fayre or what but I'm pleased. Hopefully they get nice and thick and frosty! 

large.IMG_0635.PNG

They are looking really healthy too in my opinion. A few brown spots as I mentioned before but that's it! Some massive deep green leaves on them. 

4 people like this

@GrowingViking

The new starter looks a bit cold and damp mate...perhaps some fleece overnight ;) and be carefill with the water, little by litlle until that pot's rooted through, then go for the full wet/dry - LST looks oh but donlt wrap the wire around the stem as it'll constrict it as it grows and thickens, a hook will do or if you use string in future a figure of eight loop ;) (I did an LST tutorial in my Seedsman diary if you want tips, but I should have drilled holes in the pots really as tape just couln't hold them the buggers)

3 people like this

Ground questions 

So I've started digging out this section of my garden and the ground is great. Nice and soft. One thing is though. This area was prime for strawberries and weeds etc. Will this effect anything if I did it out and put in some home mix soil? large.IMG_0643.JPG

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, GrowingViking said:

Well impressed with the garden wire from Poundland though! Really flexible and really sturdy. 

it's great stuff mate, agree

Ground, should be ok but wild strawberries can be a nightmare once they are in your garden they spread so fast, hunt them all down with bucket and chisel / trowel.

GL

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Machiavellian said:

it's great stuff mate, agree

Ground, should be ok but wild strawberries can be a nightmare once they are in your garden they spread so fast, hunt them all down with bucket and chisel / trowel.

GL

I decimated loads last year so will just be ripping out dead roots hopefully! Making way for some much tastier foliage :'P

1 person likes this

On 13/05/2017 at 8:36 AM, Lea Valley said:

@GrowingViking

They've picked up nicely. It's about learning on here, I haven't stopped since I joined. If I were to do a soil mix for Autos I'd do ;

15 l pot or builders bucket ,

5l any premium compo from the garden centre,

Food

5 l John Innes No2 

Food and drainage

5 l Coco Coir (from Poundland )

Moisture retention and easy for roots to penetrate 

30 g Mycorrmax or similar Mycorrhizal product (look it up)

Good soil bugs add strength and resistance to a plants system. 

You could then use the BIoBizz grow and bloom for the flowering cycle before plain water for last couple of weeks. (Using water drawn and allowed to sit for 24 hrs to rid the chlorine which kill the soil bugs)

I did this (kind of)! Pics to come...

2 people like this

22 hours ago, botanics said:

@GrowingViking

The new starter looks a bit cold and damp mate...perhaps some fleece overnight ;) and be carefill with the water, little by litlle until that pot's rooted through, then go for the full wet/dry - LST looks oh but donlt wrap the wire around the stem as it'll constrict it as it grows and thickens, a hook will do or if you use string in future a figure of eight loop ;) (I did an LST tutorial in my Seedsman diary if you want tips, but I should have drilled holes in the pots really as tape just couln't hold them the buggers)

Nice one man. I definitely went a bit mental with watering but tbh I never really know/knew when to water. Just kind of played it by ear. 

Unfortunately we've had some duff weather but this week is springing a heatwave and a half! Rejoice! They are sitting in the decking drying out as we speak :)

I also made a soil! I'll show pics in a bit. 

2 people like this

The Alchemist...

Today I made up my own soil following largely @Lea Valley's instructions.

I was super keen to do this as I now have a gang of seeds that are pop pop popping so I'm turning them over thick and fast, but we'll get to that. Here's a shot of the alchemy table!

large.IMG_0654.PNG

I have some gravel mixed with vermiculite in the bottom of these huge pots for drainage. I then mixed:

5l of coir coco (yes Poundland)

5l or so of Westland MP compo

5l biobizz light mix (I didn't go for the John innes in the end) 

30g or so of Mycorrhizal powder

A good spritzing of liquid seaweed around where I planted my flowers. 

large.IMG_0653.PNGlarge.IMG_0656.PNG

So the Blue Cheese and the Critical Kush fem are now in their final pots and ready to start living amongst their new pals. I'm interested to see how these will turn out against the others as all the other plants have had just bog standard compost from the garden centre. This is the first real attempt at a 'proper' growing medium. 

I've also learnt my lesson from overwatering as I kind of figured that's why my 3 other Barneys plants are looking so weird right now. Shit weather and too much watering from my stupid self hasn't helped. Gorgeous sun today though to obliterate some of that damp grossness so onwards and upwards! 

In other news, we now have some new additions into the germing chambers (aka my old lunch box). The last 3 auto ak's have now gone in for germing (just waiting on one or two to pop) while two auto ak, the blue mammoth auto (really excited for this one) and the Critical Kush auto have now all gone into planters. Hopefully we'll see some life from them over the next few days. As you can see from the sunshine outside it's been a gorgeous day and the sun is only just setting for me here today :)

large.IMG_0657.PNG

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far. I really feel like I'm learning a lot already! 

Enjoy the sunshine everyone :) 

4 people like this

Well done @GrowingViking, glad you got the Mycorrhizal. I used that packet before. 

Those big pots hold lots of nutes and water. The Coco and the vermiculite will hold moisture. Lift the pot and feel how heavy it is before you added water. Add a good drink but slowly so as not to wash the seedling away and then leave for a good few days even in full sun. Lift the pot and weigh it in your hands, another day ? ok then leave it. Autos like moisture but don't like sitting in it. Too much water will lead to drooping which to the inexperienced would look like they need watering. 

Try to go thru wet and dry cycles using water that has been allowed to stand.  Looks good though.

Not sure what you're using for slug protection. On seedling outdoors I use a 17p Asda 2L water bottle with the top and bottom cut off and a double band of copper tape from Homebargins £1.49 wrapped round to slow snails and slugs down a bit. 

You are defiantly moving in the right direction at a good rate now. 

5 people like this

Forgot to mention have a look here for electrified single pots. Dead easy and you're in the perfect position to implement this measure. Andro says they smoke when they go over the cooper tape !!

2 people like this

If you're gonna make them ride the lightning then use a couple of 1.5 V AA's as it won't smoke them but just deter them, 9V PP3's can kill them... why kill them when they just trying to survive is all, just prevention is better :yinyang:

4 people like this