Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jimmyarm

Jim's Dinafem No Till Adventure

96 posts in this topic

Welcome To My No Till Adventure :)

I've spent countless hours (most of them blazed thanks to Dinafems ABK) watching youtube videos (Brown Guy 420, Joshua Steensland) and reading up on various styles of no till, as well as reading various books and forum threads.

The method really intrigues me for some reason, it just seems to be the 'right' way to grow so hopefully this works ! @Dinafem-Mark pointed out that Dinafem now do all their test grows No Till, so with a bit of luck I might one day be able to grow plants that achieve their full potential.

After digesting all the information I could and half melting my brain, I came up with a plan.

Get some bits, chuck them into a 54 litre fabric pot and see what happens lol

Once the pot turned up I quickly realised that my tiny little grow box was a tad on the small side so a new cabinet was (is being) fashioned, this is currently housing my SS comp grow but it is so big I can start off my No Till at the same time, just need to finish some bits off this afternoon :D

As the soil mix is done, and has been cooking outside in the pot for about 4 weeks I thought I would share the recipe I came up with (there seems to loads of variations so I have tried to keep it simple, with bits that are available from the internet or locally)

Base;

1/5 Jacks Magic

1/5 Peat Moss

1/5 Earthworm Castings (from ebay)

2/5 Perlite

Amendments (this was more just chuck it in that exactly measure);

Volcanic Rock Dust (500g ish)

Kelp Meal (250g ish)

Ecothrive Charge (as per instructions)

Crab Shell (just enough)

Neem Seed Meal (just enough)

Oyster Shell (just enough)

Critters;

50g of worms (from Yorkshire!)

What I call woodlice, they look the same as what all the Americans call 'Rolly Polys' that I have been finding around the garden

Mulch;

Dried grass clippings (hay)

Some bits of mini bark I had lying around

Cannabis leaves from the current grow will be added (once the pot isn't on the patio lol )

Cover Crop;

Mixed Green Manure

Let the adventure begin !large.Cover-Crop.jpg

11 people like this

Good luck on your adventure. :D

1 person likes this

@Jimmyarm

Sounds like a plan mate, good luck. I've been meaning to read the no til thread on here for ages but haven't got round to it yet.

Be good to see how you go on :yep:

3 people like this

Now this is going to be a very interesting grow to watch as we are seeing more growers swith to notill gardening. Most of our rooms now in Spain are notill and also I know we use this method in some of our larger test facilities.

Will be watching your notill adventure with great interest and here is a small video of one of our notill grows. I must say the end product is far superior to hydro grow product :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

5 people like this

Thanks Guys :)

I was hoping you would post that video @Dinafem-Mark, that was part of my inspiration :thumsup:

3 people like this

Day 1

Sunday was a bit of a wash out, people came over and cider & ganja were consumed in the sunshine :)

Today I managed to skip off work a bit early so got into the shed and got cracking rearranging the grow 'room'. It isn't completely finished yet, I am still using an extension reel for power (other than the HPS, which is plugged into it's own socket), it needs paint and wiring tidying etc etc so no piccies of it yet lol

The pot is in though, fits perfectly next to the 4 plants that are already in so the little Mars 300 I have is hanging above it which means I can get a seed wet ! An Auto Blue Kush was carefully selected from my remaining 4, has been placed in a tupperware box in damp tissue and that has been carefully placed in the airing cupboard.

Starting today should mean that the stretch just about starts when the current crop are ready and I can begin 'perpetually' running autos in the cabinet for the rest of the year :thumsup:

Had a little play with my macro tubes and managed to get a vaguely in focus shot (lean back from the screen it looks better lol ). One day I will save some pennies for a shiney macro lens, flash & focusing rail ! :D

:smokin:

large.Auto-Blue-Kush-Day-1.jpg

8 people like this

Best of luck with your no till adventure, I agree with you it is the 'right way' to grow and produces the best ganja imho. Love that macro of the seed mate dont need to lean back at all, great job :yep:

4 people like this

Nice start Jimmy ill follow if you don't mind :) let's see how big she gets in that pot! 

3 people like this

Thanks for popping in guys :)

Seed hasn't cracked yet, I realised the airing cupboard isn't actually that warm this time of year so I have popped it on top of the xbox. 

If there is no action in the morning I'll put another in :yep:

Sneaky pic of the new setup from my phone, plenty of work left to do !

large.20170509_200600-2656x1494.jpg

The plan is (assuming this works) is to build a big fabric pot across the base of the room and just keep it chugging along with 2 or 3 plants in it at different stages of growth.

I still have my mini cab off to the side that can be used for drying, starting off and maybe cloning one day.

I need to think about upgrading the lighting I guess. A single 400w should give me the 50w psf but I quite like the idea of giving CMH a go.

A single 315w would be good, but need to research into reflectors that can distribute it evenly over the rectangular bed.

If anyone has any recomedations for this please chime in :)

Quantum boards were tempting too but I need the heat from some form of HID otherwise I just end up chucking loads of heating in and not saving anything by using the LED's.

A thermostatic fan controller for the hyper fan is on the cards too. With the weather we have been having I am having to fiddle with the speed controller in the morning and evening. The cab was at 33c when I got back from work on Wednesday !

I have Blumats to install in the big pot, with a bit of luck later today a spare hour or two will appear lol

Enough rambling 

:oldtoker:

Edited by Jimmyarm
9 people like this

Good news, just checked and the seed has popped !

4 people like this

:yahoo:

3 people like this

@Jimmyarm

Great start to this diary mate, loving this no til and gonna lurk and do more learning :smartass:  the above pic mate and with regards to hanging a reflector for future reference within a rectangular footprint is to hang it so the lamp is going accross the width (so 90 degrees from current) this ensures the best light spread as when it's being hung horizontally, more photons are being dished out from the sides than the end of the bulb (I've got mine hung your way too because my width isn't the greatest either, but I'm considering switching it and going stadium style tbh for maimum return on the area ;) )

Grow them well bud :lucky:

7 people like this

@botanics

Thanks dude :)

I hear you about the reflector, need to get some of those rope ratchet jobs, the lights are hung on a steel wardrobe clothes rail that goes across the width of the cabinet at the moment and I tried to get the HPS the other way but it wouldn't stay put with the bungie cords I have lol

All a bit heath robinson in there at the moment !

Did a bit of research yesterday and I think the way forwards will be an adjustawing with a 315w cmh in it hung centrally, then I can add back in the 250w HPS over winter if she will suffer it, just got to save up some pennies :thumsup:

In other news, the seed didn't make it :( I potted her yesterday once I saw she had popped and normally I would expect to see it starting to push on the compost the next day, nothing this morning so I had a little inspection and she had gone squidgy.

Another one has been started ! Fingers crossed :smokin:

4 people like this

Happens mate now and again as you know, good luck with the new bean :lucky:

3 people like this

10 hours ago, Jimmyarm said:

@botanics

Thanks dude :)

I hear you about the reflector, need to get some of those rope ratchet jobs, the lights are hung on a steel wardrobe clothes rail that goes across the width of the cabinet at the moment and I tried to get the HPS the other way but it wouldn't stay put with the bungie cords I have lol

All a bit heath robinson in there at the moment !

Did a bit of research yesterday and I think the way forwards will be an adjustawing with a 315w cmh in it hung centrally, then I can add back in the 250w HPS over winter if she will suffer it, just got to save up some pennies :thumsup:

In other news, the seed didn't make it :( I potted her yesterday once I saw she had popped and normally I would expect to see it starting to push on the compost the next day, nothing this morning so I had a little inspection and she had gone squidgy.

Another one has been started ! Fingers crossed :smokin:

I think I may have a spare set of rope ratchet hangers here. If needed just pm me and I'll send your way :yep: I would prefer that someone got use outvof them rather than them lying in my draw :)

Sorry to hear that the seed did not germ all I can say is sorry and it can be replaced if needed?

Let's cross our fingers for better germination with seed no2 :yep:

Let me know if you need hangers and I'll get them sent :)

Until the next update :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

4 people like this