Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Feminised or Regular for mother plant (ScrOG)?

Hey guys.

I'm just about all set up with my grow space, ready for my second indoor grow (first at this new place). I'm growing from seed in coco, but ideally, I want to end up with a mother I've selected after flowering them all, that I can reveg and then take cuttings from, to then grow those genetics exclusively. Now at the same time, I want to maximise my currently very limited space of 1.2mx1.2m, by applying the ScrOG method.

My question is: would it be best to get myself some feminised seeds that I can ScrOG almost immediately and keep the best mother to reveg (or clone in advance if a scrogged mum would be problematic), or is there a way for me to grow 2x the amount of regular plants that I can sex and remove males from, while still simultaneously scrogging them all?

I'm thinking it would be best to just do a preparatory grow by cracking as many regular seeds as possible, remove males and let the females grow untrained, just to maximise my chances of dankness with a sizable initial genetic pool from regular subs and UGORG seeds. But with 4-5 months between each harvest, I'd like to get a mother going in as few stages as possible. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

SVS

Ask, why do you need a mother? Usually its because one has found a "sporting" plant, a one in a thousand kind of high so to speak. Or because a plant has shown serious medicinal potency. Or to breed/hack from.

In every case, I would personally say, go for a Regular photo-periodic plant.

2 people like this

If you want to end up with a mother to take future clones from then you must have some spare put aside to keep her at 18/6 or 24/0 going forward while you flower out your new babies?

If this is the case could you not just clone all your plants during veg and keep them in the space where your future mother will live? If you mark all the pots so you know which clone came from which plant then you can just kill off the rest once you decide which one you want to keep?

Or alternatively you could keep all the clones of all the plants and just use them for your third grow! They will have had time to veg nicely and you could get them trained ready for SCROG. If you go for this method obviously you can just take clones from the one you have determined is the "best" to go into your fourth grow! If its getting harvests going as quickly as possible that you want this will help. No messing around trying to re-veg, waiting etc...

If that makes any sense at all!! :yep:

To answer your other questions I wouldn't want to try and cut males out of a SCROG net! I'd just go for fem's unless you have a reason not to!

Hope that helps!

1 person likes this

Thanks so much guys! I think I'm gonna start with 4 femmed seeds, scrog them (mainly for experience, but also I know each plant will be female and thus worth the effort), keep a clone of each until after harvest when I'll throw away the 3 worst genetics and keep the best as a mother, just so I've got one to compare future genetics to. Once I've got my first mother I'll use exclusively reg seeds to veg alongside mother, sex them, take cuttings again, squeeze them in next to my scrogged clones 12/12 flower room, rinse and repeat. I'll keep the regs small and untrained and flower them asap after taking cuttings, just to test the quality of smoke, and then replace my initial mother with anything I come across that's better.

Really appreciate the advice @monkeytreeand @Arnold Layne

Edited by SevernValleySavant
Omitted important clarifications

Regular man !  Less chance of possible hermi ? A bit more time goes into a scrog,  you'd be best with a good reg, or a good cut.

if all is well, after 4 weeks from seed you will be able to throw the males away,  then start being brutal to the mothers. 

Once I know they are female, I top them, de-leaf the lower area, repot them and then put the net over the top. 

Doing this gives you time to let them settle after being cut/slashed and bent(lst), because they need to recover slightly before you flower, to increase yield.

Reg

Edited by Reggie2000
1 person likes this