Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ombudsman

'Chop n Drop' Style Feeding

Hi There, 

I want to grow a bunch of flowers and plants that will have a use, This is why I like growing fruits, veg, and Mary :) however I am now realising that it goes beyond this!

Interested to know if people are familiar with the term 'Chop n Drop' - whereby you chop up fresh flowers/plants and top feed with them?

So far I only have:

• Comfrey - Bocking 14
  • Chamomile - do I choose the roman or german variety seeds?

Please if anyone knows more let me know! I hoping to greatly expand this list!

Many thanks

The problem with chop and drop in this country is it gives slugs a very happy home look up Charles dowding his approach is much better suited to the UK 

2 people like this

On 31/03/2017 at 1:49 PM, Moobman said:

The problem with chop and drop in this country is it gives slugs a very happy home look up Charles dowding his approach is much better suited to the UK 

Nice link @Moobman, going no till in the garden this year and this is a great resource. 

2 people like this

I often top feed with a light sprinkling of grass for lots of Nitrogen and I love mulching with young nettles. (Pre seed)

Good source of a whole ton of good stuff as nettles are excellent bioaccumulators and have long ass roots that draw often unattainable minerals shorter rooted plants cannot.

Nettles as a top dressing for the win. 

At the end of the day if you've got lots of worms in your pots they will munch a whole host of whatever nutrient rich organic matter you choose.

Heck I even like to top dress with unwanted cannabis material. 

You could plant some clover (crimson etc) as well as other green manure crops which are good, Rye grass for example and give it a trim with scissors, fixating nitrogen  from the atmosphere and returning it to your soil as organic matter. 

If your no till these green manures can constantly be producing food for your plants as they are a constant supply of nutrient rich mulch.

3 people like this