Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

craigfjyp

fan speed controller

27 posts in this topic

Just received one of these jdc-1000 controllers. Looks a good piece of kit.  

Does anyone know or @jonux what the percentages the fan runs at. Obviously max for full on. Idle and low settings I’m after. Thanks peeps 

46 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

Does anyone know or @jonux what the percentages the fan runs at. Obviously max for full on. Idle and low settings I’m after. Thanks peeps 

its an automatic 5 step controller mate, i don't know the percentages they run at but theres 5 different settings it can go through depending on your room temps, iv got mine set at 19C low and 25C high so if it goes above or below that the fan kicks in high or low whatever is needed. HTH mate.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Rampa Green said:

the lowest you want to run your fan at is 40% or 96w, some fans will run a bit lower but the fan internals also need a set amount of air movement to cool down otherwise,

you will shorten the fan motors life.

2 people like this

@craigfjyp @Joint hogger

Thanks guys

will be running a 6”rvk from it.

hopefully just wire it up and set the temp and relax

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Rampa Green said:

will be running a 6”rvk from it.

that's the same as me mate so you should be fine....

you might also want to put a plug on the fan and a socket on the fan controller instead of wiring it straight to the unit, i'll post a pic below to show you what i mean, it just makes it easier for moving about and disconnecting and stuff....

large.S6302318.JPG

1 person likes this

Exactly what I did for my 5” fan with a wac1

thanks again mate

1 person likes this

On 22/05/2018 at 4:08 PM, craigfjyp said:

its an automatic 5 step controller mate, i don't know the percentages they run at but theres 5 different settings it can go through depending on your room temps, iv got mine set at 19C low and 25C high so if it goes above or below that the fan kicks in high or low whatever is needed. HTH mate.

What year is your model mate? As on my one you set the desired temperature and then your hysteresis (E3 in the menu). So i set my temp to 22 degree and hysteresis 2 degree. Now my fan runs at idle speed if i am between 20-24 degrees (22 +/-2). If temp drops below 20 fan slows down to a minimum letting air to heat up. Once temp reaches 22 it goes back to idle and if temp jumps above 24 fan kicks to a full speed. I can't see where you can set the min and max temp.. There's only a LOW temp and HIGH temp alarm which you can set in which case the beeper will sound if you reach those points?

On 22/05/2018 at 3:16 PM, Rampa Green said:

I believe it runs 115V on LOW, 155V on IDLE and 240V on MAX speeds as default. My Min speed was a bit slow so i have removed wire from 115V terminal and shifted it to 135V (this what i was told over the phone). You can change your IDLE and MAX speed also if you are not quite happy with the default speeds. ;)

1 person likes this

@jonux

thanks mate

that is the perfect answer I was looking for. Top man indeed

Posted (edited)

On 14/08/2017 at 11:43 AM, jonux said:

Edited by calif123
Sorry cannot delete the empty quote box. Please delete if possible this post if possible.

I can vouch for the SMSCON hybrid controller. Very quiet from unit itself and it can control two fans at 5 different speeds. Only downside is that I cant control them independently. But I can always just plug one directly into the wall for manual independent control if I need one of then at max.

its good to know that those controllers are silent.

Im planning building a twin fan variac unit myself, but ive also got an ecotechnics one.. 

I had a few of these before and they worked really well, with a setting for plumbing in  a heater, and a setting for RH settings,

ike i said they used to work without any fan hum, on 6 inch in and 8 inch out fans, but when I wired it up to my 8 inch in and 12 inch out fan it hums and buzzes constantly, no matter the setting, except flat out.

Im really pissed off, it cost me 150 quid and doesn't work, but I could always keep it if I ever decide to down size.

Ive also had diy variac ones and they are just as good, but without the buzzing etc.