Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

craigfjyp

fan speed controller

27 posts in this topic

hi,

iv been looking on ebay for a fan speed controller but there's far to many to chose from so i'm looking for recommendations please....

i'm looking for one that's got an automatic temp control on it and it has to be silent, i have £150 to spend on it but if there's a decent one for cheaper that would be great...T.I.A

The sms twin controller does everything you want it to. I can't confirm that its completely silent but it should do the trick depending on your size and circumstances.

I was really paranoid about mine to begin with, as I haven't done a grow in a year or so.. but now i walk into the house and don't notice it. 

The room its in is at the top of the stairs facing the staircase and I leave the door wide open time to time.

Also there are 3 generations of the SMS controller so if you go to a shop with the newer one or 2nd gen, you may be able to haggle them a little on the price of an old one.

One thing I would say though is dont buy a used controller make sure its brand new as I have a Gen2 and a gen1 and the gen2 seems to cause 4in inline fans to destroy themselves..

Let us know what you go for! I don't think SMS controller is a variac though... 

1 person likes this

dont buy a rhino rc as they seem to affect a lot of fans by causing fan hum.

2 people like this

i tried posting an add from ebay yesterday but it was against site rules so iv copied and pasted it....has anyone used one and if so was it worth buying? here's the specs from ebay....

JDC-1000 Auto Transformer Fan Speed Controllers are suitable for any speed controllable fan up to 345 Watt. Ideal for in line extractor fans, hydroponic fans, kitchen extractor hoods, office, workshop or hobby sheds ventilation. It’s fully automatic and will adjust Fan speed to keep right temperature in the room. JDC-1000 has 1.5Amp Auto Transformer built in, so Motor Hum noise is completely eliminated – guaranteed! 
JDC-1000 Fan Speed Controller provides automatic and silent temperature control. Just set your desired room temperature and let the controller to do the job!. The speed of the fan will increase should the temperature of the room exceed your set point. After temperature has been corrected the fan returns to idle speed. If the temperature drops below the set point, fan will slow down to a minimum speed. 

Technical Details:

-MAX Load: 1.5A
-240V  
-Increased fan life span.
-Decreased power consumption.
-Minimal fan inference.
-No humming fan noise - guaranteed!
-Runtime Temperature 0°C ~ 60°C
-Relative Humidity: not more than 80% (non condensation)
-Temperature Correction Function
-Digital Display 
-Sound alarm in case of temperature probe failure
- Size: 120mm x 175mm x 100mm (W x H x D)
Sensor Length: 2M approx

4 people like this

has anyone tried the fan speed controller in the post above?

I'd like to know the answer to this too, it seems to be a new product. Anyone seen or heard of it?

1 person likes this

I note that if you google those controllers you get a website as well as ebay selling them. I am an electrician and would have no trouble building one of the controllers in the diy section......BUT watts has run out of the 1amp version so im looking around. (Background - I am currently in the early planning stage of getting a list of stuff together.) Hence why I am having a look at this part of the forum.....I have lurked for about 6 years....lol I like to take my time hehe.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, MicGrow said:

I'd like to know the answer to this too, it seems to be a new product. Anyone seen or heard of it?

i never got a reply so i just bought it mate, i still don't know if it was worth the price though as i don't understand fully what it is lol, its just an electronic thermostat and an auto transformer(whatever that is) inside the box, you set the temp you want and the fan speeds up or slows down to stay on what its set too, there's no variac inside it and you can't manually slow/speed up the fan...and you can only wire one fan up to it.

1 person likes this

@craigfjyp

Is there any sort of seperate temp probe or sensor?....if not then it's built into the unit.

You will have to fiddle about a bit to find the right position in the growroom to get the best results.:yep:

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, stu914 said:

@craigfjyp

Is there any sort of seperate temp probe or sensor?....if not then it's built into the unit.

You will have to fiddle about a bit to find the right position in the growroom to get the best results.:yep:

:oldtoker:

yeah mate, it's a 2m cable the probes on. there is 3 cable entry points, there's the probe the fan and the socket.

@craigfjyp

That's good, you can mess about positioning the probe to find the best spot. I have mine close to the roof and out of direct light, works a treat.

Good luck with it bud:yep:

atb

stu:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, stu914 said:

@craigfjyp

That's good, you can mess about positioning the probe to find the best spot. I have mine close to the roof and out of direct light, works a treat.

Good luck with it bud:yep:

atb

i'm only 2 weeks away from harvest and everything's doing ok for now mate so i don't want to change anything while everything's fine, i was going to set it up properly when the tents empty... 

i'v only done the wiring on it for now, the fan entry point iv just put a single socket coming from it and when it's time i'll just put a plug on my fan instead of wiring it straight to the connector, i'll also have to set up all my ducting properly, iv got new stuff their but iv just never got round to changing it, so i'll have quite a lot to do after this crops down.

1 person likes this

Never ending hobby bud, constantly tweaking this or that.....Be interesting to see how it performs in the future....

atb

1 person likes this

On 24/03/2017 at 5:33 PM, craigfjyp said:

i tried posting an add from ebay yesterday but it was against site rules so iv copied and pasted it....has anyone used one and if so was it worth buying? here's the specs from ebay....

JDC-1000 Auto Transformer Fan Speed Controllers are suitable for any speed controllable fan up to 345 Watt. Ideal for in line extractor fans, hydroponic fans, kitchen extractor hoods, office, workshop or hobby sheds ventilation. It’s fully automatic and will adjust Fan speed to keep right temperature in the room. JDC-1000 has 1.5Amp Auto Transformer built in, so Motor Hum noise is completely eliminated – guaranteed! 
JDC-1000 Fan Speed Controller provides automatic and silent temperature control. Just set your desired room temperature and let the controller to do the job!. The speed of the fan will increase should the temperature of the room exceed your set point. After temperature has been corrected the fan returns to idle speed. If the temperature drops below the set point, fan will slow down to a minimum speed. 

Technical Details:

-MAX Load: 1.5A
-240V  
-Increased fan life span.
-Decreased power consumption.
-Minimal fan inference.
-No humming fan noise - guaranteed!
-Runtime Temperature 0°C ~ 60°C
-Relative Humidity: not more than 80% (non condensation)
-Temperature Correction Function
-Digital Display 
-Sound alarm in case of temperature probe failure
- Size: 120mm x 175mm x 100mm (W x H x D)
Sensor Length: 2M approx

Got 2 of them - they are really good. You can either leave controller to adjust the fan speeds automatically or you can set the desired speed by changing some wires inside. The guy from smartus uk explained me how to do so. You need to change wires inside, straight forward but can't remember a thing now - it was over 2 years ago! Both controllers still works fine and there's no hum from fans!

On 22/03/2017 at 5:56 PM, Joint hogger said:

dont buy a rhino rc as they seem to affect a lot of fans by causing fan hum.

Ive got that rhino rc too, and it also hums BADLY when you turn it down