Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SILVERBACKGROWER

Topping while in veg stage

Hi,

Im just curious as to when I should top my plants,

Can I top in veg?

How often should I top in veg and flower.

Cheers

Yes you can top in veg. This is the best time to top. At the very very latest in very early flower.

I would recommend topping when your plants grow to the 5th node as they'll have a nice big root ball and lots of sets of leaves then to bounce back from the topping. You can top them back to the 4th node or even the 3rd.

I topped mine back to the 4th node once they got to the 5th and it worked brilliantly. Each plant basically had 4 colas then. (the two from the topping, and then the two side branches that became dominant whilst the new tops were growing out.

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, welshting said:

Yes you can top in veg. This is the best time to top. At the very very latest in very early flower.

I would recommend topping when your plants grow to the 5th node as they'll have a nice big root ball and lots of sets of leaves then to bounce back from the topping. You can top them back to the 4th node or even the 3rd.

I topped mine back to the 4th node once they got to the 5th and it worked brilliantly. Each plant basically had 4 colas then. (the two from the topping, and then the two side branches that became dominant whilst the new tops were growing out.

Thanks mate,

I think theyve got 4 nodes now.

What are your thoughts on lollipopping? its my first grow it seems be a tough thing to do.

Cheers

Check out this post on my diary that showed my topping attempt on my girls:-

As for lollipopping, I'd just leave them as they are at the moment. Don't try and complicate things yet, just let them grow out, don't mess with them to much especially after topping as it's very stressful to the plant.

After the first couple of weeks of flower its generally a good idea to do some pretty aggressive pruning to get rid of all the leaves and shoots that are under the canopy so more of the effort is focussed on the bigger buds at the top and you'll get less shitty popcorn/airbuds.

But as they are, if they're ready for topping, do it, and leave them alone. No pot transplants etc, just top them and leave them be until they recover nicely.

EDIT: just seen your post history and that you're growing from clones, so that might change my advice a little. I've never grown from a clone, but I would imagine you wouldn't want to top a clone until they've properly rooted and established themselves in your new medium.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, welshting said:

EDIT: just seen your post history and that you're growing from clones, so that might change my advice a little. I've never grown from a clone, but I would imagine you wouldn't want to top a clone until they've properly rooted and established themselves in your new medium.

I echo that.

My last run was clones and they had not fully rooted out in tiny 3.8l pots and I had topped them.  Normally I would expect to see around 14 oz for the area but only got 5 oz.  Veg long and hard if topping clones for sure, keep them warm also 24/7

4 people like this