Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pariah

First Time Grow, Long Time Veg Grower

Hey All,

I'm planning on trying some autogrows this year in a small-ish wooden growhouse, maybe double the depth one of those pop-up green plastic things which I'm going to try and squeeze six, 10 litre poly pots in (pots will fit snugly side-by-side)

I have some anxiety that I want a natural way of fixing so will be growing feminised autoflower CBD heavy (I hope) strains.

Initially I did very little research and was a bit over-enthusiastic about purchasing seed, which isn't unusual with me and seeds… I got some ShortStuff fem'd Blue Himalaya (came with a couple fem Auto-Assassin and a Dr. Feelgood) and have since added some SweetSeeds fem'd Sweet Nurse Auto CBD which are on the way.

I'm planning on two grows, first will be started in May directly in their pots in their final and only growing position if weather permits and will start with the Sweet Nurse first (will probably chuck in the two Auto-Assassins at the back so I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket which will probably be for someone else as they are sativa dominant) I have limited head height after taking the pots into account, if allowed to grow to their maximum, they'll stick out of the top, I've read that you can't always completely rely on what it says on the tin too so I'm planning on doing a low-fi LST to restrict the height a bit, I would like to try and confine them to their own pot diameter as they'll be a tight fit with their neighbours.

Will Start the second batch late June to first quarter of July depending on how the first batch is looking, I have another space that should be free by then so they'll be able to sit there for a couple of weeks while the first batch finishes, and if the wait is too long, can be modified to be their forever home.

I'm going to use an enviromesh clone to keep out the bugs, it allows in 75% of the air and 90% of the light but will give it an opaque look when I need to open all the doors and lid at peak summer so should help with neighbours glancing over.

The medium I'm planning on using is a 35 litres of filtered-stream-peat based multi-purpose compost, 20 litres worm castings and 5 litres of either vermiculite or perlite, with organic feeds later in the grow if necessary.

Is an LST grow confined to it's own pot unrealistic? The front row (or back) can be trained slightly forward allowing more space for the both rows as I have little bit of depth to play with.

Could I train the front three low and back three slightly higher with LST to maximise light for back row?

I've trained grapes, fruit trees toms and other assorted vines and plants in the past and will again but am I mad wanting to train with LST outdoors at all on my first real grow?

Advice and questions are welcome

Thanks a bunch, spent many hours browsing the site already (haven't visited the site in a very long time)

Pariah.

Lat 51

All the best with your grow!

Thank you Flintstone! I'll need it!

1 person likes this

sorry do not know about greenhouse stuff just wanted to wish you all the best. I'm sure you'll be fine

Cheers Elvis, maybe I'll place a diary up when the time comes, hopefully I'll have learned a bunch more by then, thinking of reducing the amount I squeeze into the space from 6 to 4 probably makes more sense especially if I LST… but we'll see!

@pariahYou definitely need to reduce the amount  of plants if its going to be to snug air circulation is key to greenhouse grown cannabis. It might take you a few attempts to get the plants trained how you'd like them but you've got experience in this so you might hit the nail on the head first try and just go easy on the worm castings I wouldn't exceed 20% per pot and if you need to chop a few branches off try to do it before flower 

Edited by Moobman
To add more info
2 people like this

Thanks Moobman this was the thought I had, if I'm training them to be lower, they're naturally going to be bushier and require more space sideways, and as you say circulation is a must too.

Edited by pariah

I'm still wrestling with the compost mix, I'm now thinking of going simpler, skipping the worm castings altogether and going with a 45% Moorland Gold Potting Compost, 45% Fertile Fibre and 10% Perlite, I'll control ferts more with liquid feeds when needed.

I also have a water butt and live in a hard water area, would it be a good idea to mix degassed tap and rainwater to offset some of that alkalinity from the tap water? Should I worry about ph in a greenhouse grow? Am I over thinking it?

Cheers.

2 people like this

Yes your over thinking it, water is water just make sure it's not too cold.

Also, forget about the perlite, it just takes up root space ;)

4 people like this

LST works well with auto's . Instead of having one main cola and a few decent side branches you can have a few large head by using lst to your advantage . Here's a biodiesel mass auto hack I grow last season 

large.rsz_1photo_20160929_094822.jpg

sorry about the poor picture resize . I found I get more from growing a auto this way than just leaving it to it's own devices 

Edited by MJN
7 people like this

@MJNThanks for the post! Good to see an outdoor auto LST!

I have limited headroom in one of my spaces so I'm looking at keeping it a bit shorter than what you have, but it's not that far off what I can handle. in my space.

Cheers.

1 person likes this

OK so I haven't started a diary but will post some updates here, went ahead as planned, weather was shitty so started 6 seeds (4 Sweet Nurse and 2 Auto Assassin) in a root trainer using some standard gro-sure seed compost as the top half and final medium as the bottom half, on May 2nd they all popped up, only one had a seed head stuck so removed that with a bit of teasing, one of the Sweet Nurse seeds touched the side of my makeshift tunnel and developed a crooked neck (more on this later)

12 days since emerging from their root trainers, I planted them in their final pots - the medium I used is:

35 Litres of Fertile Fibre Multi Purpose

40 Litres of Moorland Gold Potting and Container Compost

3 Litres of Perlite

Insect Frass, Seaweed meal and rockdust as per instruction for container growing

I premixed this about 20 days before starting the seed, which was lucky, I think the moorland gold had a fungus gnat infestation, luckily I had nematodes on the way for my allotment so when that arrived I dosed my mix with it.

I didn't have enough compost for the 6 12 Litre pots so decided to give it a go with some homemade compost for the two freebie auto assassins, I made a basic John Innes potting compost and added the additional amendments to match the purchased stuff, no sterilisation though…RISKY!

Here's what it looked like in my hand

large.IMG_20170512_211103.jpg

Here is when I first potted them up, they were stretched so I potted them up their stems, I also offset them in their pots, as I planned to do a bit of training later, the Assassins aren't pictured but look pretty similar.

large.IMG_20170514_121746.jpg

Here's the crooked Sweet Nurse

large.IMG_20170514_125345.jpg

Here they are at 14 days old, 2 after potting up, showing growth, the crooked necked one (back right) is much slower, after this picture was taken, I decided to kick it out of the growhouse and replace it with the best of the 2 assassins.

large.IMG_20170516_093455.jpg

Big time jump here, 22 days old, Assassin is back left

large.IMG_20170524_164543.jpg

26 Days Old and I've started to tie them down a bit

large.IMG_20170528_183118.jpg

Here I am today, 32 days old, side shoots are growing nicely, trying to get them at a similar level, flipped 'em around and tied back some fan leaves so lower shoots get equal light, bottom left and top right were freshly tied down..

large.IMG_20170603_135654.jpg

large.IMG_20170603_135705.jpg

I've only watered them so far using a Pro-tea wormcast extract.

Assassin has some pre-flower showing.

7 people like this

Hey, they're looking good (not that I know much about these things)

How much/often are you watering?

I think they might be done now mate lol

1 person likes this