Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sterling-archer

Loch trout fishing

19 posts in this topic
30 minutes ago, Michael Luchóg said:

@sterling-archer;

I don't know which brand is best. I use gink on the fly and a wax/mucilin pad on the line. 

Cool, is mucilin any good for flies aswell as line?

44 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

Cool, is mucilin any good for flies aswell as line?

No, don't think so anyway. It'd be difficult to apply it. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Luchóg said:

No, don't think so anyway. It'd be difficult to apply it. 

The last flies i did were covered in waterproofing spray and them re fluffed. That produced mixed results. 

I am toying with to the idea of 3d printing flies as they will float brilliantly and keep form.

1 person likes this

I would love to cast a fly on a deep, deep loch. With, I would think, a No.10 rod at least, and a WF No.10 Fast sinking deep water line. For lure, something big and flashy. Because I have always wanted to hunt the Ferox. Ferox is my ultimate target, to hook one has got to be one of the most exhilarating takes!

But, if fishing the surface, I would look for a gentle, but not too gentle breeze blowing into the shore. Hard casting, I know. But, with a Muddler Daddy-long-legs cast as far as you can and hauled at your fastest possible retrieve through the ripples ....... watch about six inches behind your fly for the bow-wave of a pursuing trout and then BANG! You're in!! One of my favourite ways of fly fishing but I rarely see it being done. Yet it is so very successful. I used to use it in the bigger of the two lakes down at Dever Springs. In the corner to your left as you come out of the shop. If at Dever, and there ain't no breeze, I recommend a well tied Cat's Whisker in the same lake, or a sunk Whisky Fly in the other.

Dammit, but I really do miss my Fly Fishing days. Still got my kit, maybe one day, huh.....?

Tight lines, everybody.

3 people like this