Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Asha605

This years seeds

215 posts in this topic

My seeds have arrived and I'm excited that spring is almost here. I've got 2 red purps, 2 purple maroc, 4 KC brains haze special, all feminised. I also have a couple of Jack Herer and Shiva Shanti 2 from last year, but these are reg. I have 1 gorilla glue auto, and a few free seeds. 

Ive already germinated 4 seeds (regs), cos I'm an idiot, but luckily they are doing quite well. 

Im at latitude 50. I plan to grow RP and PM out in the garden in open ground. (It's walled so quite private). Hoping to grow the gorilla glue auto in the greenhouse border, and the rest in pots. Hoping to force flower the early planted ones for an early crop as I've smoked all last years grow and am having to buy it, which is a bit of a stretch! I'm hoping to finish some by June. 

I was thinking about starting a diary, to get some expert advice. 

Was as thinking of starting all the rest at the end of April- beginning of May. 

If if you have any advice, that would be amazing!

Thanks!

8 people like this

large.IMG_0190.JPGlarge.IMG_0189.JPG

8 people like this

large.IMG_0193.JPG

This is Shiva Shanti 2. Almost a month old. Still really small as I started way too early. The other 3 in the first pictures are Sensi Jack Herer, another SS 2 and KC Haze Special. I've got them on the windowsill in the utility room which is south facing. Been thinking about putting them out in the greenhouse on sunny days as it gets up to 20c when the sun shines. Bringing them back in late afternoon when the temp drops. Not much happening at the moment! Roll on spring!

8 people like this

Hey GL, interesting diary already.  Hope the early stuff does ok for you :)

How was that Jack Herer, did it do ok last year?        

1 person likes this

Hi! 

Thanks!gallery_99734_13553_8347.jpeg

Jack Herer was tricky to grow for me last year. I only had 2 females from 5 seeds. 1 had really small leaves and stayed really small. I force flowered it in the shed and the buds were small and leafy but it was a really nice smoke! Really happy and creative, but still chilled. The other one I almost killed with heavy handed manure tea, never quite recovered. Left it to finish naturally in the greenhouse, but it was really late and mouldy! I have 2 seeds left so I'm hoping to get a female. Hoping I can learn from my mistakes last year and get some more of that lovely smoke. Definitely wouldn't buy it again though, unless I had lights.

2 people like this

Tbh I´d recomend a quick snip of the stem and put the fuckers out of their misery leaving you time to research when best to start your plants so you don´t fuck up again.

But you don´t wanna hear that do you.

They are on a less than 12hr light cycle, more than 12 hrs darkness which means they would want to flower if the temps were warm enough / light levels high enough. Try at least to give them a decent 12hrs of light (yes that means a bit of light supplemental to increase the daylength to 12 hrs ). Your g/h is gonna have way more light than the utility room (unless your utility has a glass roof and walls). And it needs to be warm 25 degrees, get the heater on. Some indoor LED growers go 12/12 straight from germination so you can continue to flower them.

As the daylength increases past the 12/12 do the light dep thing in the shed (it is totally dark I hope).

Alternatively you could just let em go and hope for the best. They will start growing eventually as it warms up (and as daylength increases ) and revert to veg growth and will be more ready to flower. I think they´ll still be a bit shitty. It is also possible that it warms up but daylengths are still short enough to trigger flowering but it then revegs in the Summer.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, it´s just I´ve seen a lot of shitty plants started on the window sill in Feb.

I did see a couple of decent Feb starts (May finish) but that was south spain outdoor...but it is possible.

I´d suggest a May or June sowing for your photoperiods.

It would be interesting to see how you get on,

ATB Mokka

2 people like this

Hi! 

Thanks for all your advice! I have been supplementing light levels with a 50 watt led, until 9pm. The light is pretty rubbish, but good enough to stop them trying to flower I hope. What do you think?

I know it's too early to start them in Feb, but I had some seeds left over and haven't got enough space for loads of plants so I thought I'd experiment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm at lat 50 and I'm hoping for the best spring for 100 years!

I don't have electricity in the g/h. I could run a 50m outdoor extension lead up there, but keeping it at 25 is going to be a challenge. I have other plants that would suffer. I could wall off an area and keep the heater that part. Or knock up some polycarb construction on my carpentry course.

I was thinking about letting them veg until may, depending on size, and then f/f in the shed. Yes, I've blacked it out ( not that much of a chump! )

Do you recommend May / June even if I'm going to force flower them? I was going to start the Red purps, Purple Maroc and Haze Special end of May, along with Gorilla Glue auto end of May, and some free seeds, end of April to F/F. Planning to grow the first 3 in the ground, open south facing position, and the GG in the greenhouse border.

I'm prepared for them to be shitty, but it keeps me occupied until I can really get going! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for all the advice! What are you growing this year? 

ATB Asha

2 people like this

large.IMG_0199.JPG

I fancy they've grown since Sunday! 8 days since the last one pushed through the soil. Shiva Shanti is really leggy. I know, I know, too early!

3 people like this

Hi there,

ok the LED light is a good start at least.

Get power to the g/h, somehow, even at the end of a couple of 50m cable drums it is well worth it. Mine´s at the end of at least a 200m run, but I can run fans, heated mats, lights etc. I wouldn´t want to put a 2k heater on it though.

It might be worth building youself a little seed starting box (think mini grow room/micro grow) with lights and pc fans if you plan on doing more early starts. I start my toms off (mid March) under 24hr light in my little box, they love it and it keeps temps at a steady 25.

When I sugested a May / June that was for your photos planted out not forcing. As a rough guide your plant is going to double in height after you start forcing it but I guess you know that.

The PM RP and HS, plant them end of May fine. Bear in mind that when you see guerila grows, your plants might grow a bit quicker / larger as you can water them properly and prepare a nice large hole / bed for them. I would recomend a gap of 2m between plants.

The auto, I´d really recomend waiting till mid June for sowing as the daylength is longest then for the veg period. However if you´ve built a little grow box you can start your auto off in there under 24hr light whenever you want. Autos really like 24hr light for the first couple of weeks.

As a bit of reading material and an idea of what is possible in a backyard grow check out @912GreenSkell diary season of the passion in the GG diary section, I should just link it but I´m too crap. Ok he´s lat 45 Canada but the principles, 24hr light for germination, big well prepared beds, lots of water and ferts, and opening up of the plant canopy can all be used. Then next year you won´t need to be doing early FF.

This year I´m still not 100% sure what I´m doing but a bit of Dinafem, Sweet Seeds fast versions, maybe Serious 6 , hopefully Girl scout Cookies, and a couple of autos. Mainly in the g/h but 1 or 2 outside. Autos outside.

Hope those early one pull through for you,

Mokka

3 people like this

Looking good so far I've just mixed up my first batch of medium to cook for a week or so before I get going 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi! 

Thanks! What medium are you using?

Plants are growing, slowly! The weather has been rubbish though. Wet, windy and cold. Roots are visible at the bottom of all the pots. I'm going to pot the little ones on tomorrow. 

Oldest SS2 has some weird leaf thing going on, maybe the soil is a bit hot. Added some home made compost and a tiny bit of rabbit manure to seed sowing compost. Still growing ok. 

Been out preparing the ground and removing the turf where I plan to plant, inspired by reading some guerilla grow diaries! Added some sulphate of potash and fish, blood and bone, and more rabbit manure. Topped off by used rabbit bedding to get some serious worm activity. Worms love mulch and rabbit poo! Still have to add some lime as my soil is quite acidic, and Epsom salts. Going to buy some insect frass too. 

Just ordered a 50m extension lead to get heat in the greenhouse. Then there'll be no stopping me!large.IMG_0209.JPGlarge.IMG_0208.JPG

Edited by Asha605
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

large.IMG_0210.JPG

From left to right- Shiva Shanti 2- Jack Herer-KC Haze Special

Edited by Asha605
3 people like this

Shiva Shanti weird leaveslarge.IMG_0213.JPGlarge.IMG_0211.JPG

2 people like this

Rabbit manure is packed with nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and many minerals, lots of micro-nutrients, plus many other beneficial trace elements such as calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, manganese, sulfur, copper, and cobalt just to name a few.

N – P – K VALUES – Rabbit= N- 2.4 P- 1.4 K- .60, Chicken=N- 1.1 P-.80  K- .50, Sheep=N- .70 P- .30 K-.60, Horse=N- .70 P-.30 K- .60, Steer=N- .70 P-.30 K-.40, Dairy Cow=N- .25 P-.15 K-.25  As you can see by the nutrient values of farm manures and how they measure up and rabbit manure really shines! Rabbit manure also doesn’t smell as strong as other manures making it easy to use.

Found this comparison of different manures online. Nitrogen extravaganza!

1 person likes this