Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stiggy123

Size of fan and carbon filter (55 cm x 55 cm x 120 cm)

Hi guys. I need some help so I have a couple of questions.

I’m going to build a small grow room (scrog) 55 cm x 55 cm x 120 cm (height).

This is the calculations I did for the fan:

55 cm x 55 cm x 120 cm = 1.80 x 1.80 x 3,93 (feet) x 3-4 =  38,19 -  50,93 CFM = 86 m3/hour

I guess my fan needs to have a higher cm/m/hour than that.

I have been looking at this fan:

I am going to be using a variac speed controller. I think I want to use the fan at 40 % of its max speed, in order to make it more quiet.

http://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/fans-filters-and-air-control/duct-fans/systemair-rvk-5-inch-125mm-l1-in-line-duct-fan-341m3-hr.html : 323m3/h or 190 cfm. 40 % speed = 129 m3/h or 76 cfm.

I have also been looking at the Ruck (can fan) and rhino fan.

My first questions is, how powerful should my fan be for this grow room? Is this okay: 129 m3/h or 76 cfm?  How much higher can a fans m3/h/CFM rating be than what the grow room needs as a minimum?

My grow room is not that big, but I think I would be able to fit that fan inside of the grow room. I am going to put it in a box like this: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=229614 (of course not as big) and then use oversized insulated ducting.

The lights I’m going to use will be something like this: http://timbergrowlights.com/200-watt-cree-cxb3590-4-cob-grow-light-kit/ (DIY by following a guide)

What size of carbon filter should I use for this grow room? My grow room is not that big, so I hope I will be able to fit everything in it. Should the carbon filters cfm/m3/hr rating be higher or lower than the fans cfm/m3/hr rating?

I hope you are able to understand my English J

Stiggy123, Denmark

Edited by stiggy123

I think you will get away with a 4inch fan and filter in there if using cobs. 5inch fan and filter in that space is going to take up a lot of room. I've always used mountain air, but they are fairly large. Rhino do a smaller 4inch.  I grow in a cab that's 60cmx95x200 and use a 4 inch with passive intakes. 

Yea, you want your filter to be rated at a higher cfm rating as otherwise the fan can pull air through it faster than its scrubbed. With your step controller though shouldn't be an issue. Good luck :) 

Okay. It seems like the 4 inch RVK and 5 Inch RvK fan have the same dimensions. 

I have been thinking about using a 5 inch fan (at 40 %) and a duct reducer so i can connect a 4 inch filter to the fan. If that is possible..

get the 5" filter to match the 5" fans dimensions.

1 person likes this