Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sailorman

Pot for Migraines?

Not sure this is the right place for this but I wanted to put it out in case it helps someone.

My son (he's 26) has taken pot twice now for his migraine and it works like a miracle!

Note, I said TWICE. Once more and I'll be convinced. Here's some background if you want to keep reading.

Hes suffered for years and is on strong pain relievers but all they usually do is take the edge off. They knock him out eventually, he sleeps for hours and feels ill the next day.

id read pot may help and we got a little on hand to try next time. Thank god. The next time was the worst he'd ever had. He was curled up on the floor, banging his fist, crying and yelling "make it stop". Heartbreaking for any parent to witness. I grabbed the pot and within 3 or 4 puffs INSTANT relief. I mean instant - as in a light switch switched off. He slept well that night and felt fine the next day.

i immediately acquired some more because I heard smoking a little every day can stop the reoccurring. It seemed to work but we ran out a few weeks ago. Luckily, I had him put some away for a migraine emergency. Last night he had a migraine, smoked half a join, INSTANT relief, slept well and feels fine today. No more heavy pain medication.

i don't know the strain of either event. I tried the last one and it felt like an Indica high. But was probably a hybrid as it had a little head high too. 

Im growing an OG Kush at the moment because I read it's supposed to be good for migraine. It should be ready to harvest this week or early next week. I'll let you know if it works should he get another migraine . I'm hoping that with a little regular use, there won't be anymore.

Anyone else have any experience treating migraine with pot?

3 people like this

I deal with extremely intense migranes caused as a side effect from severe upper neck nerve pain. The reason for the headaches is different than most sufferers, but i often find powerful uphigh sativas work well for dispersing the intensity of the migrane.

I think you need to source out the reason for the migranes...many of the reasons i researched for the caused of migranes/cluster headaches pointed back to two things...diet and stress. Its really great that pot is helping the effects of the headache, but ideally you would find the reason for the migranes, and then smoke herb as a stress relief.

2 people like this

Ive suffered from migraines all my life as far back as i can remember and i can honestly say its the same for me.

all i have to do is roll a fat joint and after a few puffs the pressure behind the eyes seem to just dissapear, ive noticed indicas to be better for it and no tobacco too.

Cheers 

1 person likes this

Hey Sailorman, 

I'm so glad you've managed to find your Son some relief it's a horrible thing to live with.

I have used crutches for nearly 20years so my Neck,Spine,Shoulder's are in a right state and suffer intense Migraine's with Vomiting that happen when I push my Wheelchair to much now or do to much.I take 11 different med's a day including Oxycontin and Dihydrocodiene but nothing touches the Migranes.I grew up smoking lots of solids,weed but gave it up along the way.

So when I got back to growing last year for relief I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to help but knew it would in some way and it definitely has in many ways i hadnt expected some instantly others after a while.

The one thing I haven't had since my first crop is a Migraine,not one,whereas I was getting 3-4 a month that knocked me out for 48hrs with my head in a bucket.

I only smoke it pure never any Tobacco and one thing that's easy and quick are those little perspex bongs.They're fantastic for a smooth quick hit with strength and takes two minutes to do.

It's definitely helped with my Nerve damage and reduces my perception of pain albeit alongside standard meds.

My futures not a rosy one after a shitty diagnosis last year but the joy of growing and enjoyment of it brings real pleasure to a non-pleasurable life.

I can also recommend making simple hot choc's or coffee's (any edibles really) with it that will last all day and he'll sleep like a log but it's a little heavy on weed use if you don't have stocks.

I'd suggest doing some research on strains and then do a grow or two that fits as many plants as you possibly can into your space as a SOG or SCROG giving you adequate supplies you can then keep topped up with smaller grows along the line.

Everyone here will be more than willing to help you as thats why alot of us are here so ask away it's never a problem to any of us.

Good growing and hope your Son keeps getting relief.

Edited by Badbadger
2 people like this

@Badbadger

When migranes turn into nausea is the worst thing possible...i spent the first 8 years after my injury with migranes every day, and 4 of 7 days a week ending up with barfing. Hope you get better Badbadger, its not an easy way to live my friend.

Edited by 912GreenSkell

If my sisters migranes are anything to go by its smack that she needs not herbs.

Don't believe any hype about particular strains.

I've been growing for over 20 years now, for chronic pain management, and if I have learned one thing it is this: What works for one may not work for another. If a strain works in one person with their particular ailment, that does not guarantee it will work for others. Beware Hype. Try as many strains as you can, and find what works for you!

3 people like this

@Arnold Layne is right and to be honest I just went for what I thought sounded nice was a big hitter and a nice smoke rather than its supposed medical effects and so far the best I've had was from 3 free seeds I got from buying small packs of others.

I had 3 free Dr Kripplings Bud Bud Bling Tingz that I did my first scrog through  and a good bowl or two of that sits me on my (big) ass for a night gives me a good sleep and I get the subtle effects through the next day until Bong o'clock.

2 people like this

I have had migraines for many years. Starts with an Ora or lightning bolt across my vision and my peripheral vision and straight ahead are effected.

Then about half an hour later I either get a head ache or I dont.

Since I started ingesting oil years back now. I have not had a migraine. NOt sure if they are connected but....    :)

1 person likes this

Man that must really suck, I feel for your son.

I think an organically grown (or well flushed), well dried and cured indica would be a good direction to go in. But like @912GreenSkell said, understanding the underlying causes of your sons migraines (if at all possible) would definitely help in making the right choice.

And again, like wiser people than me on here have already said, I'd grow out a wide variety of strains, maybe focus more on indica/kush and high cbd varieties, with some sativas thrown in (like a haze), to test what works best for him. Just get them grown and done, don't worry about yield, maybe even go 12/12 from seed. Oh and I'd definitely recommend vaping in this situation.

Hope things work out for you and your son buddy. It's ridiculous that we're risking up to 14 years in a cage for trying to live our lives our own way, with no victim, and often only to improve the quality of our own lives or our loved ones, while people can tie dogs to trees and set them on fire with little consequence.

History will be on our side!

Edited by SevernValleySavant
2 people like this

Just a quick update.

my son had his third migraine since he started using cannabis to treat it. Three or four puffs and INSTANT relief. That proves it works in my book. I've heard smoking a little everyday can stop them forming, but we don't have enough crop for that yet.

thanks for all the comments and kind words. I think people are right that you need to find which strain works best for you. That's very difficult to do here in the U.K. It takes about two months between grows. I just grew my first crop and it worked for him. I'm growing two plants now of two different strains and different from the last. Although one is an Indica like the last.

I watch with envy, The YouTube videos of the medical dispensarys in America. Imagine, walking in to a store and buying a few grams of several strains to find what works and then grow that.

1 person likes this

You could probably get quite close to that experience if you spent a week or so in the dam? Might be worth looking into, could save yourself a lot of time, I'm pretty sure some places there sell seeds that correspond to the smoke you can try, but I've never been, I'm sure someone can clarify that.

SVS

On 2/18/2017 at 4:52 PM, Sailorman said:

Just a quick update.

my son had his third migraine since he started using cannabis to treat it. Three or four puffs and INSTANT relief. That proves it works in my book. I've heard smoking a little everyday can stop them forming, but we don't have enough crop for that yet.

thanks for all the comments and kind words. I think people are right that you need to find which strain works best for you. That's very difficult to do here in the U.K. It takes about two months between grows. I just grew my first crop and it worked for him. I'm growing two plants now of two different strains and different from the last. Although one is an Indica like the last.

I watch with envy, The YouTube videos of the medical dispensarys in America. Imagine, walking in to a store and buying a few grams of several strains to find what works and then grow that.

I take 10mg CBD daily and it has solved my once major migraine issues. That is 8 puffs a day (4 twice a day) of 200mg strength CBD at 5.5 watts and this is legal!  20 odd quids worth lasts 1 month, PM me if you want the full set-up. I had severe migraines for over 6 years until I found this solution.

GL

sub psychedelic dose of shrooms is supposed to calm them down for a whole year.