Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Some things I've made from wood.

94 posts in this topic

Last one for now, its not the best photo, but its a tea light holder i made from Buxus.

large.5894d3b29af5b_buxustealight.JPG

@Ratdog, that's really tidy, were you into Meccano as a kid? :)

4 people like this

you have a talent mate enjoy it

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Last one for now, its not the best photo, but its a tea light holder i made from Buxus.

large.5894d3b29af5b_buxustealight.JPG

@Ratdog, that's really tidy, were you into Meccano as a kid? :)

I love anything mechanical, it was from a design in the Sky at Night magazine :) My job has taught me lots of bits and bobs over the years watching other trades. 

1 person likes this

It shows mate, that's a very professional looking job! :yep:

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

It shows mate, that's a very professional looking job! :yep:

Thanks bud, I`m very anal about such things, and I think it`s detrimental to my health lol

1 person likes this

Nothing wrong with a bit of attention to detail mate. Making the stuff i do, little mistakes can be masked, or passed off as "Character". That's what i call any imperfections, character.... :)

Building stuff like that though it has to be spot on, much skill required there. That pipe's beautifully made too. :yep:  

1 person likes this

Cool thread, and some nice pieces.

I dont get to play with my wood much these days, I have a few bits that I made(some the dogs chewed :( )

Still have a some Yew, Hawthorn, Ash and some ancient Oak(about 400yrs) that I managed to stop someone burning. I was willing to resort to violence to save that lol

I will get some pics  later

2 people like this

Unfortunately all the photos I and others posted in this thread were munched by the server glitch.....:(

But here's my latest creation, an Oak chopping board. :)

I was at a loose end today, so i had a forage in the wood store and found this.....large.58a9cb674d62e_Oakplank.JPG

It's a piece I've thought about using for a chopping board before, but it's a bit warped with a few splits.

I decided to work on it just for something to do really, and to get back into it. :yep:

It didn't quite go to plan......lol

The original size was ideal, but I had to shorten it as a section had split away and created a low corner. That went OK, but I decided to shorten the other side very slightly to take out a split after I'd finished sanding and the chainsaw pulled out a section of the face, my mistake....should have been less lazy and sanded it out.:doh:

This is the finished product about three hours later. I started on 40 and worked down to a 400 grit, then applied some Linseed oil.

large.58a9cb230c9f4_Choppingboard.JPGlarge.58a9cb19284b0_Choppingboard2.JPG

The two tone effect isn't a shadow, that's how it came up.

It doesn't sit quite flat as it's warped, I pretty much knew that would be the case when i started, but it's usable and looks quite cool I think. :yes:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
12 people like this

Here's yesterday's creation, I'm pleased with this one....:)

This is made from a heavily burred piece of Elm. It was from a pretty much dead tree that was overhanging the road and had to be removed.

I cut myself a three foot section of the trunk, and had it on the van, i knew it was a nice bit....

Out of four planks I cut, this one I got wrong and was really thin at one end, so I cut it short to make a cheeseboard....or table centrepiece to put your condiments on....or something...lol

large.58bdae6aa485c_elmboard.JPG

The eyes start staring back if you look too hard.....and twisted faces can appear....

large.58bdad0fb9917_elmeye.JPG

The reverse side....this plank was from the very outside of the trunk, hence the difference in colour between the two sides, moving into the heartwood on the reverse.

large.58bdace62313b_elmboardreverse.JPG

The other planks are about a foot longer, and will become shelves soon hopefully! :)

10 people like this

I did a bit of a restoration job today, a forty year old chopping board that had seen better days!

large.oldchop2.JPGlarge.oldchop1.JPG

It was almost beyond repair, but a bit of a wash down and lots of sanding later it came up ok!

large.newchop1.JPG 

11 people like this

That cheeseboard appears to have a personality and looks quite bemused about something. I love that one. Good job on that chopping board too, brand new again. There's something special about trees and things made out of wood. It does have beauty doesn't it.

Good stuff. ;)

The pattern in the bemused one looks great. It's almost hypnotic that is. I like that lots.

Edited by Blayz'd
3 people like this

@Captain Bonglington

Lovely stuff there bud, you must have jumped out of your skin when some of those ugly mugs were revealed........:rofl:

1 person likes this

On 03/02/2017 at 5:59 PM, KayDog said:

So this year I said you either are supportive and positive or you're out (of my life) which is working out better - and a de-clutter of 'family' and 'friends'.

I absolutely identify with this problem. Some people are so fucking draining. For a short while I used to have a mate who'd turn up at my place unexpectedly and expect me to always do what he wanted - which was usually skipping (Getting useful stuff from charity/supermarket skips, not the rope skipping) and it would be late-ish in the evening and I wasn't up for it. He'd then make passive-aggressive remarks in a very patronising tone "Not very spontaneous are you", stuff like that. What he wouldn't understand, even though I'd explained to him about my mental health issues, was that I'd spent the day fighting suicidal thoughts and couldn't go near a kitchen knife without wanting to stab myself in the face repeatedly with it.

He's one of these people who is very controlling - or tries to be - and when it doesn't work he gets the right hump. He's one of these people that, if it hasn't happened to him it doesn't exist. Total knob.

Over the past few years I've had a clear-out of friends and family as well. It can be a bit lonely, especially when it comes to Xmas, but the fact is I don't really have any love for my family because between my parents and siblings they've treated me like a total cunt over the years.

I'm glad I did it but I know there will be an emotional 'price' to pay when my elderly parents are no longer around and I wouldn't have seen them for the last 20 or so years of their lives. In my view it's better to be that way than me being honest and telling them why I feel the way I do and hurting them with my words. Perhaps if they hadn't kicked me out of the house when I was 16 I might feel a bit different! If my two siblings hadn't 'borrowed' over 20k from me without paying it back I might still see them as well but they didn't and so I don't have anything to do with them.

So yeah, I'm all for de-cluttering the negative influences out of the one and only life we have.

Gonna head over to the "Things that get on your nerves" thread now and moan about insomnia :rofl:

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

On 06/03/2017 at 7:03 PM, Captain Bonglington said:

The eyes start staring back if you look too hard.....and twisted faces can appear....

I see the Spitting Image Maggie Thatcher puppet in that piece of wood! lol

It's been a while since i did any woodwork but I've been back in the shed lately, i thought I'd show a few of my latest projects. :)

This is a shelf for our kitchen, just got to find or make some nice brackets to go on it then it's done. It's made from the same piece of Elm as the board with eyes earlier in the thread. 

large.59bc2f242e1f5_Elmshelf.JPGlarge.59bc2f1b8ad74_elmshelf2.JPG

This is a chopping board, well it's supposed to be, my girlfriend has taken to using it as a rolling table....:)

It's made from a piece of Cedar, the artwork on it is borrowed from the cover of a Levellers CD, and is my first attempt at pyrography. :yes: 

large.59bc2f27ae06f_CircledAchopboard.JPG

This is my new project.....

large_oak1.JPGlarge_oak.JPG

All of the bits and pieces I've shown so far have been found and salvaged in one way or another, but I bought this piece of Oak today. I found it in the offcut section out the back, in a field covered in mud. :shock:  It came up well with a pressure wash. :yep: 

The plan is to cut it in half, sand, wax and polish it, and have a matching pair of solid oak bedside/sofaside tables.

I'll post up some more photos as i work on it, it's a bit of a tester for me this, as I'm aiming to sell it for a bit of a profit rather than just being a tinkering project....We'll see....:yes:

10 people like this