Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wood for burning.

64 posts in this topic

As @Cambium says, If you're running your woodburner efficiently with clean, well seasoned timber then it's not so much of an issue....but if you have folk running them in urban areas, burning any old shit they can lay their hands on I can see it being a problem.

If you've got smoke billowing from your chimney, you're not drying and burning your wood well.

If they try and tax my wood burner I'll be throwing bricks, it's all I've got! :yep:

@Rufus Brown, I looked for your pics in your gallery and  couldn't find them mate. :unsure:

2 people like this

Been reading this.

"How the user can influence particulate emissions from residential wood and pellet stoves: Emission factors for different fuels and burning conditions"

5. Conclusions

A broad range of highly time-resolved measurements of particulate (and some gas phase) emission factors for a wood stove, operated with various fuels and under different conditions, and for a pellet stove was performed to obtain detailed information on the emission behavior of these appliances. From these results, several general conclusions can be drawn on how the user can minimize emissions from such stoves:

Burning conditions like usage of excess air or burning of wood that is completely dried or in very small logs result in strongly elevated emission factors, likely due to reduced residence time in the combustion region. Very large burn rates under such conditions suggest enhanced combustion efficiency while in fact the emissions are strongly enhanced (e.g., by a factor 2–3 for SizeDistPM1).

The influence of usage of different wood types as well as of the load of the oven on emission factors was found to be comparatively low. However, the composition of the particles shows some differences for different wood types.

Burning of fuels other than solid wood (e.g., brown coal, paper briquettes, wood chips) leads to much worse emission characteristics and changes the composition of the emitted particles (higher organic fraction).

While comparable emission factors of solid particles were found for wood stoves and pellet stoves, a larger potential aerosol mass can be expected for wood stoves, which show higher emissions of volatile organic compounds than pellet stoves (Bäfver et al., 2011).

Therefore, it can be concluded that in order to minimize environmental impact from household solid fuel combustion, the user should be made aware especially of the importance of adequate burning conditions and fuel. While the use of non-woody fuels should be further discouraged, the influence of using different wood types can probably be disregarded.

I don't regret getting the wood burner, and all the activities surrounding it. But I do wish I'd looked into it more before now.

Aren't decent solar panels expensive. :/

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

Wood burning stoves are great, i love them. I prefer the flat top stoves. Can cook and heat water if the

leccie fails or the central heating boiler.

Re burning crap stuff yes best not to . Chip board mdf painted treated etc. Must admit to that in the past.

When you are down to loose change a chopped up wooden pallet will keep you warm

Always used to collect and cut all myself but less now, it takes so much time and effort.

Even bought in logs take a lot of effort to barrow and stack but its a nice feeling knowing the log store is full.

Just had 2 cubes delivered in metre bags mixed seasoned. £110 would probs need 3 times this per winter.

I still cut loads myself though from salvage

My tip would be dry storage, a dedicated log store

Hope you re all keepin warm its minus outside:oldtoker:

2 people like this

Best wood to use is hardwood that has been aged for at least a year outside/ inside .

Freshly chopped wood just dosnt burn as well  due to the moisture content