Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gimps

wood for burning.

68 posts in this topic

I have a real fire in the living room behind a electric fire that's just been pushed into the hole .

When I removed the electric fire there was a complete hearth with the grate and residue of coal so it has previously been used on a regular basis before the previous owners switched to electric for whatever reason .

The problem I have is the chimney seems to be blocked up as when I pulled some card that was being used to block the draft from chimney a load of stones , walnuts and other debris fell out .

Does anyone have any experience as to what/how I can unblock the chimney ?

Or is it a professional job and any rough idea on how much a chimney sweep would be ?

Thanks

RB

throw a small child up there with a brush dude they love it

a sweep will cost you around 40 gold pieces

or borrow a brush set and do it yourself it easy, screw um together and stick it up there

(always turn the poles to the right or they'll undo and you'll be left with a brush up there too lol)

you need to look at the structure of the chimney stack first and after a brush though dude to see if theirs any holes in it etc

then chuck a net or cap on top if it hasn't got one..

your looking at half a days work for a competent person + materials (chimney hat or cage maybe a bit of brick work?)

metal waste paper bins are good as a free net just cut the bottom off and cut up the side

:stoned:

1 person likes this

As above really, you could brush it yourself, you can buy a set from a DIY trade counter for less than 50 quid, but I'd advise you get a decent sweep in, for the sake of 40 or 50 quid they'll give it a proper look over and tell you about any issues. :yep:

It's also advisable to get a certificate for it for your home insurance.

As long as there's no blockages or excess tar and its drawing properly, and the structure of the chimney stack is sound, there's no reason you can't use it safely. 

Does it have a decent cowl on it?  If walnuts are making there way in I'd say not, you might need to sort that too! I wonder if there's a squirrel dray in the chimney....lol

Hope you get it going @Rufus Brown, you can't beat a real fire. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
3 people like this

What's people's thoughts on this, which has been bandied about recently as well...

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2757/rr-1

I'm not feeling as holier-than-thou toward the central heating squad. But another part of me thinks....I've not quite worked out how I feel, to be honest. When we got this bastard thing I thought....nnnnng. Nothing's ever fucking simple, eh?

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

9 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

What's people's thoughts on this,

That owning and running a woodstove is a significant responsibility. Poorly seasoned wood, inefficient burn temperatures/stoves and general poor fire management allow particulate matter and other volatiles to leave the stove uncombusted. Most people do not know how to use a stove properly and run them incredibly inefficiently. This absolutely will result in the findings you linked

Edited by Cambium
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

What's people's thoughts on this, which has been bandied about recently as well...

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2757/rr-1

I'm not feeling as holier-than-thou toward the central heating squad. But another part of me thinks....I've not quite worked out how I feel, to be honest. When we got this bastard thing I thought....nnnnng. Nothing's ever fucking simple, eh?

lol my little wood burning stove.? compared to the mega tons of coal and oil being burned, toxic fumes spilling from industrial toxic processing plants  

the waste from toxic manufacturing products made and sold to everyone on the planet from building to food stuff's 

oil tankers and shipping containers air travel product/food distribution because how they've spilt up little communities 

i culdnt give a flying feck about the impact my little wood stove has on people or the planet compared to .gov

how many 'particals' do you think the armed forces pump out daily?, those tanks and ship and planes aren't electric you know

weapons manufactoring

pharmasuitical production and waste

the goverbmnet and their money freinds are/have fecked the air and water

not our little twig burning stoves :stoned: 

6 people like this

@Captain Bonglington woah that's a lot more to consider than I originally thought .

I spent the last few days cleaning it out as far as I could reach and managed to remove the blockage and hired some chimney sweeping rods ,

I literally looked like a chimney sweep from Victorian times there was that much soot and dead birds and more walnuts up there lol

I really didn't consider the state of the chimney or even where the walnuts came from I was that eager to get it going , 

I bought a bag of coal from the local garage as that is all they had for s test run before I collect wood as I live in a very rural area and surrounded by woodland .

Here's a couple of pics of my handy work , I'm actually rather pleased how it turned out ,

And before anyone mentions the fire place I really like the retro look and kept it on purpose lol

Since the update I can't find the BB code on my pics to paste into thread if anyone can help ?

I've uploaded them to the gallery.

Edited by Rufus Brown
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, twigs said:

lol my little wood burning stove.? compared to the mega tons of coal and oil being burned, toxic fumes spilling from industrial toxic processing plants  

the waste from toxic manufacturing products made and sold to everyone on the planet from building to food stuff's 

oil tankers and shipping containers air travel product/food distribution because how they've spilt up little communities 

i culdnt give a flying feck about the impact my little wood stove has on people or the planet compared to .gov

how many 'particals' do you think the armed forces pump out daily?, those tanks and ship and planes aren't electric you know

weapons manufactoring

pharmasuitical production and waste

the goverbmnet and their money freinds are/have fecked the air and water

not our little twig burning stoves :stoned: 

Around 10% of the UK population use a stove, or open fire as their primary source of heat. If you know how to use a stove properly and have a good supply of seasoned wood, then yes, I'd agree with what you're saying. The main problem being that those that do burn wood efficiently are a significant minority and don't even get me started on open fires :doh: Add coal to the mix (which many stove users do) and it begins to not make the environmental sense that efficient burning can realise.

The general tone of your post is somewhat confusing though. As an example, I'm assuming you wouldn't just go and empty all of your plastic waste into the sea, just because "that's what the man does" on a massive scale, so yours is going to make fuck all difference? 

Edited by Cambium

5 hours ago, Cambium said:

That owning and running a woodstove is a significant responsibility. Poorly seasoned wood, inefficient burn temperatures/stoves and general poor fire management allow particulate matter and other volatiles to leave the stove uncombusted. Most people do not know how to use a stove properly and run them incredibly inefficiently. This absolutely will result in the findings you linked

Surely the vast majority of not all the people using wood burning stoves live in rural areas, traffic polution sits in the middle of towns.. where I live is in a valley so the pollution sits there and something like 10 times above the eu safe limit in summer.

All though I think all forms of pollution need stamping out tbh. 

Oops wrong quote sorry cambium

Edited by nl5

I hear on the individual blamed and corporate types being ignored, it happens a lot. It's fucked. I'm not sure this is just that. And, yes, correct burning temps reduce...but not remove.

I've got a lot of neighbours. In an urban situation, just looking at co2 is too simplistic (which was my initial view :blushing:)

By the way, my arse is being warmed as we speak. I'm not attacking wood burning types, separating myself, for me it's become a part of lifestyle. I just think we need to pay attention to all of the evidence. These particulates are a real problem, whatever the source. Wishes and loyalties don't change that. Nor does the usage of Norwegian terms, or what have you.

*puts more wood on*

nnnnggggg.

Then again, if you have kids, apparently, doesn't matter what you do. You've massive clown footprints in terms of impact.

/cognitive dissonance

Well said @twigs :yep: 

Indeed, keeping warm in a colder climate is necessary for continued existence and fuck anybody that tells folks that can only do so if they bend over and get their arses widened :v:

Absolute cheek of it! 

All whilst every day, up and down the land, the slaves are forced into their metal box pollution machines and grind out a pointless job that creates fuck all but waste :rolleyes:  

2 people like this

@botanics I don't think anyone is saying we should stop, although there is a good reason why many cities and towns are "smoke free" these days. If you burn wood properly, there shouldn't really be a problem, the problem is that most dont. With 10% of the population burning for heat, it's an aspect of pollution that we should be mindful of as we are contributing to an increased ammount of it. Less so if burning efficiently, from a sustainable source. This is a reality regardless of how angry we are at industrial scale pollution.

Edited by Cambium
1 person likes this

@Cambium

I'm all for being mindful mate, I believe in decency and looking after what remains but that ends if you can't afford to eat or keep warm and whilst elements within 'society' continually cause things to get worse but tell me I am the problem and it is me that needs to do something when all I would essentially be doing is ensuring my continued existence, well, that's when I look after me and my own :yep: 

4 people like this

3 hours ago, Cambium said:

Around 10% of the UK population use a stove, or open fire as their primary source of heat. If you know how to use a stove properly and have a good supply of seasoned wood, then yes, I'd agree with what you're saying. The main problem being that those that do burn wood efficiently are a significant minority and don't even get me started on open fires :doh: Add coal to the mix (which many stove users do) and it begins to not make the environmental sense that efficient burning can realise.

The general tone of your post is somewhat confusing though. As an example, I'm assuming you wouldn't just go and empty all of your plastic waste into the sea, just because "that's what the man does" on a massive scale, so yours is going to make fuck all difference? 

lol  my over all stance is that i dont personally think that 'stoves' even used inefficiently make much of a diffrence in the 'big' picture of pollution/air pollution 

its always down to the end user never the producer. (how about the producers of the stoves?)

the public are 99% less toxic than the government/industrie but .gov and industry tells us its us how are the problem.?

people have been burning fires to keep warm for since they went north or south its plastic modern culture which deems the burning of wood as dirty whilst disregarding the toxic filth

of their own life, computers,phones etc..

the sun gives you life and cancer, wood keeps you warm/alive is sustainable and carbon free but smokey

its a crazy world and another attack on normality..

no doubt a 'stove tax' is eminent.. :stoned:

thats about it really :yinyang:

1 person likes this

I'll second a forthcoming stove tax, probably for our "own good".