Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gimps

wood for burning.

64 posts in this topic

Just burn the woods, saves on walking :clown:  Maintain a balance and not one living organism should suffer :) Pinch a little, leave a lot.

Now applying for a consevationist job. Hopefully gonna be a Ranger :cowboy: Shit money (doesn't bother me) to start and 3 year course. Every other sector of work I've walked into seems to halt right there, conservation is in the shit, at least that swings my way. :bag: 

Can anyone with relevant background give me a reference? You could say you've never met me but going by his posts, his end product must be of quality order as he rambles on whilst high as fook. :skin_up: 

2 people like this

Yeah i get your point will keep it in mind , only get the odd bit now n then

I've chainsawed/chopped 2 large pallets, piled 6 feet high, worth of Ash this week. 3 more to go.

I'd been procrastinating, it's late...still, it's been under cover.

Pic may follow, but given the slleeping pils are starting to kick in... I could be on the wrong thread again..

2 people like this

On 01/02/2017 at 7:08 PM, Captain Bonglington said:

The thing you need to remember, is that wood will assimilate its water content to the humidity of the atmosphere around it. Some websites might say your wood should be 5-7% moisture, but if you live in a high humidity area, as I do, at the bottom of a valley, you're simply not going to achieve that. My firewood is at about 15% no matter the type of timber or the seasoning time.

You can buy a moisture meter very cheaply by the way.

Where I come from some species will throw shoots even when chopped and stacked into logs,if its wet for long enough .I've seen briars grow stolon type roots ,suspended in the air ,sitting up on a hedge ,root pulled and should die but no they can't be killed . Humidity's a bitch . I can see the canker on trees now around me and further east and in the lowlands everything's a bit fresher ,drier and less scab . An advantage for growing weed , disadvantage is grassland and open fields .

I'm burning Lawson and spruce primarily ,sticky and dries fast . Hard to split it,knotty . Old shrubs too and trees and the few barrows I take home if I choose . I get excited if a whitethorn falls and I have a few barrows . 

I love burning turf and the smell of the peat but I have a large stove now ,have to close the door as the draw isn't 100% , and I'm not driving into any more bogs if I don't have to .

3 people like this

iv nearly finished a 4 x 6 fence panel, burns like a bastard whoosh up it goes, leaves ya stinking a bit bonfireified though, im looking for something better smelling for my patio heater?

dj...

1 person likes this

@*DJ*Fruit woods are lovely, apple especially, if you can find sea driftwood, you get coloured flames from the salt...

3 people like this

@Gimps I had a shit load of 120 y/o beams from a house renovation a few years back - copper nails, not all of which I got. That was cool after a spliff. You've got me wanting to go to the coast now!

Here's my pile this year, so far. I'm late, very late. Mixture of procrastination and life events. I've managed to get good sized 3 ash trees* for this year, which is about 90% of what I've got, along with the odd branch of hawthorn, cherry and something else I forget. By the way, I should take up fishing (or lie about that bit too for the stories but actually have a nice, warm affair or something), highest point in no more than about 5'8". Heh. I'm half way. And so very fucking late...

large_wood.JPG

Any one else for getting them out for the lads and ladies? Be great to see em :)

*They fell over in the storms, on a verge near a busy road...  We put on high viz jackets, set up some of those orange barriers my mate found just lying around :D, and got the fuck on with it with the chainsaw. Hence the size of them sections. Was fun! Fuck the council getting it first.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
10 people like this

By the way, the grounding satisfaction I get in going through the process of collection and preparation....is priceless. Think it keeps me less mad than I could be. Its real, and solid and tangible - completely unlike my work.

I'd recommend it to anyone that is able. Tis hard work, though.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
6 people like this

nice stacking @j.o.i.n.t 

we recently (last year?) got a new boiler before that we had no central heating for like 9years?

no insulation in the place anywhere and kids..we got given a stove and we relied on any tree work i could get which kepts us alright with a few buys

and collecting drift wood and odd bits from the woods and side of the road

i do so love all that entails,the finds, the carring, cutting, sweating then relaxing infront of the fire you made, the smells, getting it going again in the morning

but i also loove our radiators

the kids couldn't belive it they just hugged them all the time, they had never had working rads in their life lol :stoned:

ah life..don't know why i posted that really..its the smells

and this discobiscuit :stoned:

Edited by twigs
7 people like this

@twigs

9 years? That's hardcore, and I can imagine those cuddles when it ended :D In my late teens I did a year in a fucked 60's caravan, before running off back to houses with hot running water. For a while when fresh in, I'd just turn it on and chuckle...heh. A shower was heaven!

I've been lucky that it's all been choice as we do have central heating,we just don't use it much. More about keeping 200 a month out of the gas peoples pockets and in ours. And The Process, of course. Those feels you put so well. Deep, innit.

:smokin:

4 people like this

@j.o.i.n.tThat's a damn fine log pile mate, I was going to say I envy your wood, but it sounded wrong..lol

You're spot on with the satisfaction of collecting, cutting and accruing a pile, I only ever manage to source about half of what I get through a year, but then I just go for local walks with a bow saw most evenings in the summer, and cut off dead branches here and there in the local bridal ways, little and often soon mounts up. Because it's dead and seasoned already, I buy in hard wood and it does the trick, very satisfying to warm your family by the sweat of your brow, makes me feel a little less reliant on the man.

You can cheat and buy pine cones dusted with copper sulphate (I think) which give beautiful green and blue flames on a good fire, we get them in at Christmas, the kids write a letter to Santa, wrap it 'round the pine cone and put it in the fire, when they see the colours it means the elves have got the letter...think I enjoy it more than they do, especially after a pipe..:stoned:

@twigsGlad you did post, one more of us, one less of them!

9 people like this

lol @j.o.i.n.t i wouldn't advise it, it almost killed me one year.

me and a mate was plastering a unlived in house through the winter, colds as feck, no nothing in there,

standing by halogens to keep warm the whole day, damp and cold as feck the house didn't get any sun untill about the last couple of hours light

it was torchere (spell?) plaster not going off for aaggeess

that then coming home to our place did me one winter. got pneumonia.

fucked me for about 8months, but had to go and work after 11 weeks

no more money and mouths to feed. 

lifes wicked somtimes but its never taken my smile away (for long anyway) needles do that, pass out at the site of them! lol

1 person likes this

@Gimps

Why thank you, kind sir :D Infact, thank both of you for the compliment. Best the other half could do, as I was stood there chest all puffed up, was look at it, drift off into thought, and mummer "...have you seen the way the Norwegians do it - with the picture formed out of different colours and shapes?"

me: ":huh: "

Liking the sound of those pine cones, my youngest still has a bit of wonder about him. I'll look into that... He has a chemistry set, might make em. As as you say, we're drug users, we get to keep it, that wonder. If they're not arsed I'll be fine. More for me to gaze at :D

On that note, we barely watch TV at all in the winter. Really cuts it down. Gazing into the burner is great, isn't it? Truly captivating - I see foreign lands, dragons and silks blowing on the winds, and so much more.  Ash truly is the king of woods for the heat and flame, I think. I feel lucky when I have this much..Although, Hawthorne is lovely too. Just a shame when they go, I think. They grow so slowly.

@twigs That is a bad one, pheumonia! Could have fucked yourself up proper rushing that recovery, eh? Still, I get the 'needs must'.

And that's ones of the downsides in all this tangible lark - be it a proper job like plastering, or relying on unprocessed wood for heat - without you without being physically able it just can't happen. I often feel a secure feeling when it's all done, but I do think occasionally during the process, "If my back goes this ain't going to happen".

5 people like this

Nice wood pile @j.o.i.n.t:yep:

I've been pretty slack with my firewood this year too, I managed to get a load split by mid July, which is late for me, too late for my liking. I split it thinner than usual and was hoping for a scorching summer to help it dry.....:rolleyes:

As well as collecting some from work, I work a day in return for a crane trailer load of hardwoods from a guy I do a lot of forestry for, just to make sure I've got plenty of decent stuff.

Usually it would be mostly Ash, but I had some Sycamore in the mix this year, it's not the most long lived or hot wood on the fire but it does dry quickly.

I've got five woodsheds, the biggest takes at least ten pick up loads (the rest take about four or five) and anything goes in there....plenty of Ash, but you'll find all sorts in there, bits of random shrub and even Elder....lol

One shed is purely softwood, mostly Thuja, Pine and Lawson....I use this just to get the burner going really.

Another is Rayburn chogs as I call them....I split some nice stuff, but I also just put the chainsaw through any knotty stuff and cut them to Rayburn size, you get a good bit of longevity out of the knotty bits. Last year I just foraged for suitable bits in random sheds for the rayburn, which was a ballache in the cold and wet so that should be an improvement.:yes:

The other two are mostly Ash and Sycamore, and a load of Tree of Heaven too.

I am a bit concerned this year, I'm not sure it's going to be dry enough, and I'm not convinced I've split enough either. 

We have no central heating here, we do have two small rads upstairs, but they're powered by the Rayburn, which has a back boiler and runs on a gravity system.

The house has no insulation or double glazing, and the sun never hits it in winter, so if I've fucked up the firewood this year we're going to be cold! lol

Edited by Captain Bonglington
5 people like this

@Captain Bonglington Hear on on the late...["No time to say HELLO, goodbye, I'M LATE I'M LATE I'M LATE"]. 

You've got the kind of set-up I aspire to, by the sounds of it. Sheds, work exchange for wood - all that sounds great to me. We're selling up so I'll be following behind you in that regard, all going well...add in central heating fall-back, though, I'm not so hardcore :D  How much wood, in pallet loads, do you think you'd need to feel comfy and well prepared? 12+? How do you find living with the back burner/rads?

I've chopped small before to speed things up. Works, eh? Doing a kinda 2-stage affair this year due to time (and laziness)... Can fit around 4 days worth around the burner, so relying on that to really finish it off. I mix the sizes a bit on the whole, and will prepare a few larger bits with the hand axe before putting it there.

...and I fucking hate the knotty bits (although, you're right, they seem 'energy dense'). I'm avoiding eye-contact with a big pile of just that as I write :/