Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


ska

Cloning with Aloe no more clonex

16 posts in this topic

I thought it would be nice to share my (I'm not the first to do it) method for making clones without clonex or powder just using Aloe Vera gel. For a while now I've been growing notill organic but still was depending on clonex for rooting clones.  Really wanted to get away from using it and after a couple of very successful tries with Aloe I here I am sharing info. Most of this isn't new information and the method used here is gona be Ot1s method. Although this works well with jiffy pellets. I get an abundance of roots showing out of the jiffy after about 8 days, keeping the humidity at 100%. I forget the name of the active ingredient in the aloe that helps in rooting perhaps someone who reads this and knows could let me know and I'll add it to the info, with credit to that person of course :)

 

I start by soaking the clones in mix of blended aloe gel and water for 24 hours, at this point they are already sliced and trimmed ready to dip into gel and plant. 

 

large.IMG_8318.JPG.d827a932fdfd3fadaf67b

 

 

Next I wash a slice of fresh aloe plant and get it ready for dipping, I usually run a knife through the gel to get it nice an gooey :)

 

 

large.IMG_8312.JPG.a537c1d5a2f2cb41582bf

 

Next I take a clone and dip the clones into the gel and get a nice coating on the bottom of the clone.

 

large.IMG_8313.JPG.aec44a48d2c45b01b8ec0

 

large.IMG_8315.JPG.4a7eac00b9e43ea058ba5

 

Next I put the clone into a prepared hole in a mix of soil which has 35% perlite. (it's less than the 50% in the original method, but I try to use as little as possible this is the only stage I add it to my grow)

 

large.IMG_8321.JPG.dabc176505e1e7d6ddeff

 

I put 4 per pot

 

large.IMG_8325.JPG.cc61989f306ea20e4ed7d

 

Finally the pot gets bagged and tagged 

 

large.IMG_8322.JPG.2ef87a108f7a0da8022ec

 

I'll take the bags off in aprox 12 days to check on them by that point most if not all of them will have nice roots.

 

This is an oldtimes clone I took 8 days ago just been planted into some soil with a sprinkle of covercrop seed. She's a little pale but in a few days she'll be looking great and ready for more light. Unfortuneately I planted her before I grabbed the camera so I don't have a pic of her roots but I'll post the roots of the ones I took today once they are finished.

 

large.IMG_8319.JPG.2e30daf03f2ab12331c91 

 

I always have aloe plants around I use a  mix of water and aloe gel, and alga as a foliar feed so this method of cloning comes at little extra cost and is as natural as it comes.

I hope someone may find this interesting I found a few vids of youtube about it and it really interested me.

 

:oldtoker:

Edited by ska
14 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Used organic cutting liquid before and that was basically aloe vera gel and spray products that are yucca plant product.

Share this post


Link to post

Cracking post @ska, giving it a bump :)  Salicylic acid  is the ingredient in Aloe that makes it so good for cloning apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, bobnudd said:

Cracking post @ska, giving it a bump :)  Salicylic acid  is the ingredient in Aloe that makes it so good for cloning apparently.

Thanks man @bobnudd, couldn't remember for the life of me :) unfortunately I can no longer edit the original post to add the info but hopefully people will see your post. :) 

Edited by ska
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@skagreat post man, been using aloe for a couple of years as an early feed for seedlings too in my setup. Always looking for things I can grow to help my plants rather than bottles.

 

One of the ingredients @bobnudd it's more common name is aspirin and one the first organic compound I ever made many moons ago when I did Chemistry. Not very 'organic' crumbling up an asprin tablet for top dressing :)

Edited by Fragg
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Fragg said:

@ska great post man, been using aloe for a couple of years as an early feed for seedlings too in my setup. Always looking for things I can grow to help my plants rather than bottles.

 

One of the ingredients @bobnudd it's more common name is aspirin and one the first organic compound I ever made many moons ago when I did Chemistry. Not very 'organic' crumbling up an asprin tablet for top dressing :)

 

Thanks man @Fragg, nice to hear others experiences. I love it as a foliar feed, blended fresh aloe gel and coconut water mixed with bubbled water, works amazingly the new growth the next day is always a shocker, in a good way! :) 

The only bottle I use these days is Alga-mic but it's only cold pressed kelp, everything else is SST, compost tea and mulch, I love it :yep:, would never go back to bottled nutes. 

Edited by ska
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@ska yep organic ftw mate, seaweed is easier from a bottle I use PM Catalyst which smells as if it has abit of Molasses too. How do you source coconut water as I read it's best to be from fresh(green) coconuts and the climate here in Cumbria is a fucker for coconut cultivation lol 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@Fragglol I've heard that PM catalyst is cool but I'm in Spain and I can't get it locally, Alga mic is available at my local grow shop. I buy coconut water in from the supermarket, they have both organic and non organic available, the difference is that the non organic one have a natural coconut aroma added but their both 100% natural and the plants respond well to both. I only use 1/4 cup per gallon so it's totally affordable, plus I like drinking it, especially after some exercise, beats any sports drinks for hydration :D 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I have a few Aloe Vera plants in my garden, gonna try the Aloe goo instead of Clonex next time I take some cuts. The goo is great as a moisturiser.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I have a few Aloe Vera plants in my garden, gonna try the Aloe goo instead of Clonex next time I take some cuts. The goo is great as a moisturiser.

Do it mate, but first get the clones compleately ready (sliced and trimmed) for putting into your cloning medium (jiffy etc..) and leave them in standing in a mix of aloe gel and water for 24 hours, then 24 hours later dip them into more gel and plant in your medium. That'll give you the best results. ;) 

Edited by ska
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@ska do you see any increased droop or yellowing during the soak ?

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Breezus said:

@ska do you see any increased droop or yellowing during the soak ?

Not at all, if you start with a good clone from a healthy plant, as you normally would anyway, not at all. According to the internet, there are  75 nutrients, 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and 200 active enzymes in aloe vera so I can imagine the clones are really happy and the  Salicylic acid   encourages the cut to start forming roots.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ska said:

Not at all, if you start with a good clone from a healthy plant, as you normally would anyway, not at all. According to the internet, there are  75 nutrients, 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and 200 active enzymes in aloe vera so I can imagine the clones are really happy and the  Salicylic acid   encourages the cut to start forming roots.

A veritable plethora of horticultural info mate , top stuff ! Will be using this method next time :oldtoker:

Thanks mate 

Share this post


Link to post

Another way of using salicylic acid for your cuttings is willow water : simply steep some willow twigs/branches in water - now being ideal time of year when they have fat buds full of the stuff- and stand your cuttings in it for 24 hours. Watering them with it is supposed to help too.

I seem to recall Arnold using it. I've got willow on my allotment, any old twig will root every time.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Another way of using salicylic acid for your cuttings is willow water : simply steep some willow twigs/branches in water - now being ideal time of year when they have fat buds full of the stuff- and stand your cuttings in it for 24 hours. Watering them with it is supposed to help too.

I seem to recall Arnold using it. I've got willow on my allotment, any old twig will root every time.

Interesting stuff,  here there are not many willow trees around for me to use that method but definitely one to remember thanks :)

 

Side note thanks @oldtimer1 for the message. Not gona delete this thread, I'll get some more pics done and reup them.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now