Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sidi Hidi

DIY Malawi Cob

34 posts in this topic

@Sidi Hidi No I've never made one but I've smoked a fair few! I've got a great photo somewhere of a 20 something me holding a foot long cob in Malawi many a moon ago. I really am aiming at getting back there within the next 2 years and a trip to Swaziland as I've never been there.

The clubs are amazing. I'm a member of a couple and I sometimes buy Has and extracts from them but I'm pretty self sufficient, even though I only grow outside here at the moment. Using autos you can get 4 crops in the season from March to October with little overlaps or 2 auto crops and a regular one although I'm in the city and the regular plants take a long time to finish properly due to light pollution and we are overrun by egg laying moths, so the longer the plants are around the more the Caterbastards eat. For example an 80% Indica plant here will take until around about the beginning of November to finish and the weather here is very unpredictable to say the least.

They speak Catalan as a first language everywhere in Catalunya except for Barcelona and possibly Sitges. All Catalan public officials will speak in Catalan first before they speak Spanish at first point of contact but there are still more Spanish speakers here in the city.

@harvestreaper the plastic will have caused everything to sweat hence the mold.:pimp:

1 person likes this

i hear you @pollenlover  the process i was trying to copy was using plastic to get it sweating its just the original plan vacumm sealed the plastic were i did not so as i understand it that caused the mold were if i had vacume sealed the plastic  bags the lack of oxegen prevents the mold from starting,,apparently 

1 person likes this

@Sidi Hidi

Ace! Thanks for starting this thread. Pulling up a chair :)

1 person likes this

Will it work with the weed already being cured? Or does the cob add moisture? 

1 person likes this

Already my new fav thread

i look forward to having a gander

1 person likes this

It's done and wrapped, I'll put up some pics, reply to your posts and show my method later on tonight. Cheers everybody.

4 people like this

19 hours ago, VikingDee said:

not sure on that  i think fresh is best  ,,,an yes the cob does add some moisture of its own  if you look at my pic you can see the effect on the fresh buds and also the beginings of mold on the left end of the cob with  quite a visible  diffrence 

1 person likes this

Just fwiw, I stayed in zimbabwe for 5 months when I was a teen, smoked hundreds of cobs of many varieties and the nicest thing I had there was dried normally. Mould was pretty common in them, usually on one end where they tie the string. When done correctly they go a pale golden yellow and smoke very smoothly, but the sun drying clearly boils off a lot of the more delicate & fruity flavour compounds.. Give me slow/low-temp dried & cured bud anyday.. 

3 people like this

4 hours ago, uBercaMeL said:

Just fwiw, I stayed in zimbabwe for 5 months when I was a teen, smoked hundreds of cobs of many varieties and the nicest thing I had there was dried normally. Mould was pretty common in them, usually on one end where they tie the string. When done correctly they go a pale golden yellow and smoke very smoothly, but the sun drying clearly boils off a lot of the more delicate & fruity flavour compounds.. Give me slow/low-temp dried & cured bud anyday.. 

The weed is dry, but they're very seedy heads and if it's wrapped and tied too tight then the oils squeezed out of the pips can spoil the cob.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, harvestreaper said:

not sure on that  i think fresh is best  ,,,an yes the cob does add some moisture of its own  if you look at my pic you can see the effect on the fresh buds and also the beginings of mold on the left end of the cob with  quite a visible  diffrence 

I unwrapped mine and turned it earlier. I stuffed in at least hal an oz, It's also a lot damper at the bottom end.

1 person likes this

On 26/01/2017 at 5:47 PM, VikingDee said:

I mixed up the 2 Sativa's and some little blues  nuggets. its the 2016 batch that cured in glass and then went into plastic and got buried for safe keeping. I added some moisture back in by wrapping it in some chard leaves. I gave it a misting with a concoction that includes honey, brandy and a drop of lavender oil. I let it soak in and then crammed it into the cob.

The cured Malawi has got the spicey fruit punch aroma, but it doesn't taste as good as it smells. It's smooth to inhale but is a bit robust on the nostrils and leaves a bit of a mint taste on the tongue. The effect has mellowed out into a very pleasant and long lasting high. 1 decent sized j will last me all evening.

I still think it can benefit from being wrapped up for a fortnight.

2 people like this

@pollenlover it is possible to finish off a photo strain on a balcony, or in a city garden. You have to block out the light pollution and the best material for that is shade net. The plants won't sweat under it, the air can still move through.  Make a frame over your girl and wrap a double layer of 90%/shade over her at night. You can also force flowering earlier in the summer, if you maintain a 12/12 cycle. 

A single layer of either insect screen, or a 10-30% shade in the daytime will keep the moths off your plant. If they do lay any catabasterds then they can be sprayed with spinosad. 3 or 4 applications and that will take care of them all.

It's day 3, no sign of moisture in the bag, so it can stay like that for another night. I will open it up and have a check tomorrow evening. The weather has been rainy and cool since I started this project. I could do with it warming up a bit to kick-start any fermenting. If it ends up just being compressed brick in a nice looking packet then I don't mind either. For now it's so far, so good.

A quick pictorial update.

large.IMG_20170126_202141.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_193346.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_193730.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_195304.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_193301.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_193759.jpglarge.IMG_20170129_095550.jpglarge.IMG_20170127_193703.jpg

4 people like this

@Sidi Hidi I know it's possible to finish photo period plants on a balcony, I've just finished my 8th season. My entire terrace is screened off. The screen keeps most of the light off but not all. There is way too mush light here and just in my small Barrio alone there are 160,000 people and a lot of light pollution, people switching on powerful external lights and so on and so forth. It just takes a long time to finish. As for screening the plants to stop caterpillars I've tried. The main obstacle is the weather as you tend to get a lot of rain later in the season that can sometimes get very heavy. Then followed by wind which means you need to anchor the plants down as best you can and any extra weight can be disastrous. The only other way would be to screen off the entire area and that would look way too obvious and also mky landlords daughter lives directly below me and wouldn't want to give off any obvious signals as to what I'm up to. Thanks for the advice though.

Good luck with the cob. I've got my beady eye on it.

P

Edited by pollenlover

A belated update, the cob went up in smoke a long time ago. I managed to stuff 34 g into the husk. I turned it regularly and re-wrapped it. Not a spot of mould to be found anywhere, just a couple of dark blotches. The flavour was improved by the brandy and honey too.

large.IMG_20170330_025139.jpglarge.IMG_20170330_025025.jpg

The next bud in the pipeline is some smile f2. I can't wait to try it with a whole fresh head. I must go and update that diary too. Cheers 

9 people like this

@Sidi Hidi you got me thinking about this again when I saw you'd up loaded this pic. I wondered if you could wrap it tightly in brown paper instead of the corn husk? 

1 person likes this