Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RePtOiD

Open line drip system

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone just a quick question on drippers I'm considering maybe doing a homemade open end drip system consisting of 25mm delivery pipe high pressure pump and then 16mm drip lines to each pot with a (T) on the end.

The problem is I'm not sure how best to go about this. Is it best to do a 25mm ring around all the plants from the pump and then have feed lines spurring off that to the pots?

Or maybe just do one supply line from the pump that then splits into three individual lines running in a straight line to the back of my tent in between the plants and then just connect feed lines from them supply lines?

I can do images to illustrate later right now I'm on my phone. Thank you for any help received.

Is it best to do a 25mm ring around all the plants from the pump and then have feed lines spurring off that to the pots?

This is the best option, however you're going to need a pretty strong pump to fill a 25mm outer circle and then push it down 16mm line. I'd probably just go for 16mm outer ring tube and 6mm supply tube, and do it all a bit smaller. Maybe a ring small enough to sit in the middle of the plants.

1 person likes this

Thanks JS your a life saver I appreciate the support I'm gonna be feeding maybe 12 5gal pots so was not sure on the feed pipe size of 16mm then 6mm will it suffice?

Im cool with that idea, just don't want any blockages which tends to comes with small diameter feed lines.

So just to clarify when you do a ring/square it kills allot of flow? So if I was to do 3 rings for each Columb of 4 plants am I going to run into the same problem. A powerful pump isn't so hard to get when dealing with 20-25mm tubing but 16mm tubing is abit of a grey area you start having to use things like maxi jets.

I think the tent will be a 2mx1m just abouts and I'll be using flow control valves on each pot site to try and balance things out abit.

What's your thoughts on all of this.

Edited by RePtOiD

@@RePtOiD

I think 16mm and 6mm will suffice - although you're right about using bigger pumps and avoiding maxijets. I have to use a 7000ltr per hour aquaking pump (it's massively OTT) to feed the drip ring, I can't say I have noticed any drop in flow (bit again, I am OTT with my pump) but I do have to use reducer fittings to get it to fire down the 16mm pipe - but it's not an issue because there is a lot of pressure. I don't get blocked pipes either but again that might be due to the pressure, but I do use an inline filter to collect debris.

I'd probably only just do one ring as well, can't see the point of splitting it up really it's complicating beans on toast :oldtoker:

Hi everyone just a quick question on drippers I'm considering maybe doing a homemade open end drip system consisting of 25mm delivery pipe high pressure pump and then 16mm drip lines to each pot with a (T) on the end.

The problem is I'm not sure how best to go about this. Is it best to do a 25mm ring around all the plants from the pump and then have feed lines spurring off that to the pots?

Or maybe just do one supply line from the pump that then splits into three individual lines running in a straight line to the back of my tent in between the plants and then just connect feed lines from them supply lines?

I can do images to illustrate later right now I'm on my phone. Thank you for any help received.

How many plants you need to feed..?

Look at the drip system in beginning of this vid, 22mm overflow pipe with push in drip nipples to 4-6mm drip lines with blue fast flow drippers, pump is a yellow hozelock water but pump from garden center or b&q they also sell 4mm drip line hoselock flexi stuff make sure you cut all drip lines same length for even water flow distribution... :yep:

Edited by panik
3 people like this

How many plants you need to feed..?

Hi mate 12 for now but I might scale up depending on how well it works. The problem with the blue black drippers is that they at some point block especially if you use anything remotely organic ect. That's why I've decided open pipe all the way I've tried halos, dripper sticks ect and they all fail when in flower resulting in me going back to hand watering.

My setup was flawed though in terms of no outer delivery ring but everything would work for 8 weeks till it blocked. So I'm trying to kiss.

12 plants in a 2x1 meter tent is a lot for that size especially in 5 gallon pots, the plants will be huge by the time you have a good root mass on them.

If I were you I would do less plants maybe 8 in 11 litre pots, use 16 mm pipe down to dripper feed lines, I think the ones I have are 3 mm inner diameter. Get two 8 way manafolds two lines to each pot a maxijet 1000 pump don't use the drippers just open pipe at the end, just make sure all the feed lines are the same length.

Look at the drip system in beginning of this vid, 22mm overflow pipe with push in drip nipples to 4-6mm drip lines with blue fast flow drippers, pump is a yellow hozelock water but pump from garden center or b&q they also sell 4mm drip line hoselock flexi stuff make sure you cut all drip lines same length for even water flow distribution... :yep:

cheers for that panik I think the websites protection got to your link though but ill youtube something up.

12 plants in a 2x1 meter tent is a lot for that size especially in 5 gallon pots, the plants will be huge by the time you have a good root mass on them.

If I were you I would do less plants maybe 8 in 11 litre pots, use 16 mm pipe down to dripper feed lines, I think the ones I have are 3 mm inner diameter. Get two 8 way manafolds two lines to each pot a maxijet 1000 pump don't use the drippers just open pipe at the end, just make sure all the feed lines are the same length.

Murran your setup sounds so simple and effective but not scalable for big areas just pots directly near the res I might end up going down your route but for now the square/circular ring with feeding lines coming off that sounds like an easier way to balance the pressure in bigger setups, for example your right on the pot size I may drop that down to 10l but afew more or less plants with multiple feeds.

You just gotta love trees though there so rewarding with less maintenance.

No worries buddie whatever works for you, good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

1 person likes this

cheers for that panik I think the websites protection got to your link though but ill youtube something up.

Murran your setup sounds so simple and effective but not scalable for big areas just pots directly near the res I might end up going down your route but for now the square/circular ring with feeding lines coming off that sounds like an easier way to balance the pressure in bigger setups, for example your right on the pot size I may drop that down to 10l but afew more or less plants with multiple feeds.

You just gotta love trees though there so rewarding with less maintenance.

Hey mate yeah I know what you mean by blockages I used these for years and had plenty, in the end we used to go for clean nutes , as in nothing thick and gooie like biobizz I use to use canna terra vega and floras as it was quite liquidy like water if you know what I mean , top of the res we had a non return valve to a 19mm inline filter before going onto the 22mm poly pipe, that way you can check and clean the filter when ever you want and the mesh in them are fine so any particles that go through would fit through your drip line and drippers no probs , your outer line should be in a ring really as this works best in my experience with full flow all round and I can't see a reason why you couldn't come up with 6mm line and a little tee in middle of the pots no drippers that would probably work but try this method with that hozelock water butt pump plugged into a second timer for accurate watering I can't see you having a problem with 12 plants it will jet out of them and blast any blockages through lol

Hope this helps..any questions just ask

Edited by panik
1 person likes this

Just a quick one panic when creating the main ring does the ring feed back into itself or return back to the res as some people on youtue have it going back to the res? there pumps must be mental to still create adequate pressure to every dripper before going back to the res

Just a quick one panic when creating the main ring does the ring feed back into itself or return back to the res as some people on youtue have it going back to the res? there pumps must be mental to still create adequate pressure to every dripper before going back to the res

No mate just back to itself on the floor , it doesn't have to be a ring that's just how I was explaining it , I would normally come out the res with 19mm flexi pipe and fittings ,inline filter , non return valve , tees etc all from grow shop, than on to the 22m poly pipe (boiler overflow pipe from wickes 60p a 2m length ) with 22mm speedy fit push fit plumbing connectors tees, elbows etc and run a square in the tent or room returning back on itself,.. then use push in dripper nipples (grow shop) and bradle and push in nipples where you need them , then use 4-6mm drip lines to your pots , jobs a goodun set ups great when you got it on a sec timer coming on 3-4 times a day for 5-10-20 secs or whatever,..

hope that helps its hard explaining these things I should do a tutorial on youtube,..lol

1 person likes this

Can anyone hep me ive made a drip system using 16mm pipe and fitting see below:

large.drip-system.jpg

From the res ive used a (+) peace and 16mm pipe that then goes into elbows to form a square around the pots.  Where the pots are in the diagram I have a massive (T) shaped distributer made up of 16mm pipe, T-peace's and elbows which just sites on each pot.   Each (T) distributer can feed two pots at the same time and has its own flow control tap at either side,  If that makes sense.

My problem is that only some of the distributers release nutrient solution its like the solution isnt going around the floor's ring circuit before going up the ditributers?  Is this happening becaue ive used 16mm piping for everything should the main feed ring be 20mm piping then the distributer (T) be 16mm as the nutrient solution should follow the path of lowest resistance first????

If I cannot get this working I just gong to buy a IWS system as long as IWS has fixed the draining at the bottom inch of the pots out it might be the most simplistic option.

What size pump are you using? That looks massive, you have probably gone OTT on the design and the water can't pressurize in the pipe due to the size of it - as a note, bigger pipe would just make this issue worse.

1 person likes this