Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

Model making

95 posts in this topic

A question for you guys, I`ve built all the bits now, but haven`t glued the wings/tail to the fuselage, do I glue all the bits together before I start covering with the tissue paper?

1 person likes this

I've no idea about model building really mate, but it seems easier to me to do the fuselage and wings separately, then use a scalpel to cut the tissue if you need to when you join them. It seems less fiddly, and I think you'd see a neater result.

Go for the straightest possible run of tissue if you see what I mean.

Edited by Captain Bonglington

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

A question for you guys, I`ve built all the bits now, but haven`t glued the wings/tail to the fuselage, do I glue all the bits together before I start covering with the tissue paper?

It's been a long time but I think it's easier if you cover the wings and tailplane separately and then join them on.  It's much easier to handle the paper with a flat wing.

Edited by Bird
2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

It's been a long time but I think it's easier if you cover the wings and tailplane separately and then join them on.  It's much easier to handle the paper with a flat wing.

I was thinking this, but fitting everything after might not be as precise as it is atm

The last one I made years ago, had a wing that was totally separate and held on with bands hooking over dowels, criss-crossing if you know what I mean?

Will it matter if there`s paper in between the joints?

e2a, I guess I could leave gaps so the wood is still exposed at the points where it all joins up?

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

I was thinking this, but fitting everything after might not be as precise as it is atm

The last one I made years ago, had a wing that was totally separate and held on with bands hooking over dowels, criss-crossing if you know what I mean?

Will it matter if there`s paper in between the joints?

good point.  I was a kid when I decided that was the way to do it so it may be worth reconsidering lol .

I cant see the paper making too much of a difference in the joint personally as it's so absorbent.

Edited by Bird
1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Bird said:

I cant see the paper making too much of a difference in the joint personally as it's so absorbent.

It`s partly the strength, but the fit will be less precise with bits of paper and glue building up in the joining areas I reckon  :nerd:lol 

1 person likes this

That should be fine....   Cover wings and fuse before assembly, you could always use little strips of tissue to overlap the joints and then dope. Will be strong...

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, mmmm...nice! said:

That should be fine....   Cover wings and fuse before assembly, you could always use little strips of tissue to overlap the joints and then dope. Will be strong...

Hmm, Part of me says you are right, but part of me wants to see it assembled without the paper to see it in it`s technical glory (I don`t mean for one minute, my building skills lol but I love to see the workings as well)

I`m even tempted to assemble it and not cover it, just have it as a visual thing and cover the next one I build, then I can practise on the next one, and if I change my mind I`ll have some tighter skills to cover later. Maybe lol

1 person likes this

It would be interesting to see how well you can "skin it" after assembly if you do try.  Arranging the paper will be harder but the dope probably covers a multitude of sins.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

It would be interesting to see how well you can "skin it" after assembly if you do try.  Arranging the paper will be harder but the dope probably covers a multitude of sins.

Strange thing is the instructions don`t hint either way, I`ve even emailed the company to ask their opinion. But I`ll just probably just do it the hardest possible way, that`s how I seem to do most things in my life lol:russian:

2 people like this

Great project! Of a magnificent aircraft, without which we'd all be speaking German today!

I fairly recently got back into model making too, nothing so grand as this though... In fact seeing this I ask myself am I a model maker or a plastic kit assembler? Anyhow, how's this kit to build? How is the whole cockpit and canopy areas? I imagine much scratchbuilding is going into it. What's the scale?

On the skinning of it, why not do half and half? Half exposed with all the workings, tanks and armaments on show and half normal and painted up. Here's a link to a great walkaround that shows one undergoing a full restoration. The vast majority of the Hurri was wooden and fabric anyway, the earlier marks anyhow.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959938-hawker-hurricane-mki/

Best of luck with it and I'll look forward to seeing the end result :)

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, 93junglist said:

Great project! Of a magnificent aircraft, without which we'd all be speaking German today!

I fairly recently got back into model making too, nothing so grand as this though... In fact seeing this I ask myself am I a model maker or a plastic kit assembler? Anyhow, how's this kit to build? How is the whole cockpit and canopy areas? I imagine much scratchbuilding is going into it. What's the scale?

On the skinning of it, why not do half and half? Half exposed with all the workings, tanks and armaments on show and half normal and painted up. Here's a link to a great walkaround that shows one undergoing a full restoration. The vast majority of the Hurri was wooden and fabric anyway, the earlier marks anyhow.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959938-hawker-hurricane-mki/

Best of luck with it and I'll look forward to seeing the end result :)

It`s a pretty straight forward one to build tbh, delicate, but that means lighter, so will fly better if chosen too. No cockpit mate, would have to build your own, and it would interfere with the rubber motor. And strangely, there`s no scale on the box, but the wing span is 460mm if that helps.

Depending on whether I decide to cover it, it might be ready in a few hours lol

Ah, it's one you can fly yourself, best make sure it's lined up right then lol Never dipped my toes in the RC waters but am enjoying the return to kit building and have a 1/32 scale spitfire on the go. I reckon yours is likely 1/25.

On 28/01/2017 at 8:51 PM, 93junglist said:

Ah, it's one you can fly yourself, best make sure it's lined up right then lol Never dipped my toes in the RC waters but am enjoying the return to kit building and have a 1/32 scale spitfire on the go. I reckon yours is likely 1/25.

It`s not R/C mate, rubber band motor lol

here`s some pics before i finally fuck it up lol

large_tail.jpglarge.588f5f4e553ec_wheelsect.jpglarge.588f5f49329ae_fuselagewithprop.jpglarge.588f5f3e8021d_model1.jpg

7 people like this

Looking good ratdog. I went ahead and bought one myself this morning. Looking at your pictures has me thinking 'wtf have I gotten myself in for' lol

Roughly how many hours work to get to that stage?

2 people like this