Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

Model making

95 posts in this topic

I used to love making models of planes and the like from balsa wood kits as a child and remembering how engrossed I used to get, it might be the thing to fill the gaps of boredom I get. I know I need to find ways of absorbing myself in something relaxing and peaceful and I like being creative. So I`ve ordered a kit to see if it still interests me, it`s not about flying r/c`s but the actual making/building them, and seeing as I don`t have a workshop or space for making furniture which is what I would really like, I`m thinking I`ll give this another shot as a substitute, could turn into making anything within reason.

It`s something that you can do and come back and forth to it when ever you feel like so isn`t something that requires lots of commitment, just concentration and patience, and can just be set aside until you want to do it again, as and when

It`s a bit geeky, but if it does the trick then fuck it, if not, it`s not expensive atm So, anyone else into this/willing to admit it? lol

15 people like this

Yeah been a modeller since i was a boy, my old man passed his tools and skills onto me as soon as i was old enough to wield a scalpel

Ive been into creative art recently (adult colouring & Zentangle) which has slaked my craft thirst but ill be back at it soon no doubt

4 people like this

never done balsa but got an airfix model o the cutty sark to do lots o little fiddly bits

4 people like this

Is it a grade 5 kit HH? I got a G5 tank once... never again, you had to make the tracks up link by link and a lot of the pieces like aerials you make from scratch!

One of my granddads was into tall ship models, i tried a kit and got fucked off with doing the friggin riggin lol

Edited by Embryo
4 people like this

Awesome, for some reason I`ve forgotten a lot of the things I used to do to remain content after getting too involved in drink and drugs over the years, and recent events have made me rethink how I find times to relax again, especially if the weather is shit.

I`ve already started getting impatient about the kit arriving lol

@@Embryo you were making the rigging from thread or plastic? sounds like extreme modelling lol

@@hazy harry I used to make plastic kits too, but I preferred the extra bits you need to do with wood stuff like sanding/shaping ect, also wrapping the tissue paper and doping it, man that shit is strong, I`m not into sniffing it though. Perhaps give balsa a go and see what you think? it`s definitely more messy though :)

3 people like this

Please tell me your not going to hang them fom the ceiling on wires?.....please lol

2 people like this

@@ratdog check this guy out. He makes all this stuff out of plywood and assembles it all together like a big kit. He's the plywood MacGyver lol

7 people like this

Make model boats (posted a load of pics in the pre gallery days) and I do some marquetry but I need to sort out my close work glasses as I can't see fuck all, tried to change a phone screen the other day, had to put my mrs reading glasses over my own to even make out the screws, not conducive to fine detailing :geek:

Edited by distracted
edit to add words
5 people like this

@@ratdog thread dude, they were wooden kits. You made your own sails too (if you got that far! lol )

1 person likes this

I can't sit around watching tv so these hobbies save my sanity and give me loads of enjoyment,so much that i'm starting a new business soon making chimes and small concrete castings.

I hope you get back into it because for me the purpose of life is a life of purpose.

ATB

:rockon:

for me the purpose of life is a life of purpose.

ATB

:yep:

Good luck in your new venture too btw

1 person likes this

I used to do a lot of modelling as a kid. As an adult I have been more involved with repair and design of stuff instead.

Trying to find the space for some kind of tiny workshop is one of my long term projects. It would potentially make me a lot happier as I need to use my hands & find it difficult as things stand.

e2: good idea ratty.

Edited by Bird
2 people like this

Please tell me your not going to hang them fom the ceiling on wires?.....please lol

Nah, not going to be doing that, tbh, the fun ends when I`ve finished the model, then on to the next, so probably won`t keep many if it works out.

Make model boats (posted a load of pics in the pre gallery days) and I do some marquetry but I need to sort out my close work glasses as I can't see fuck all, tried to change a phone screen the other day, had to put my mrs reading glasses over my own to even make out the screws, not conducive to fine detailing :geek:

I made a boat at school, it was the only class I enjoyed and did well in, can`t remember what they called it now. Even won a prize for it, but I remember one of the other kids put a chisel through it while I was away one week, the teacher even repaired it for me, so not sure if I won fair and square lol That would be something else I`d like to make, tbh, you can make anything you like, just need to imagine it, or get the plans lol:)

@@ratdog thread dude, they were wooden kits. You made your own sails too (if you got that far! lol )

Fucking hell, that is extreme lol

I can't sit around watching tv so these hobbies save my sanity and give me loads of enjoyment,so much that i'm starting a new business soon making chimes and small concrete castings.

I hope you get back into it because for me the purpose of life is a life of purpose.

ATB

I`m feeling confident it will be something I`ll be getting back into now, and it`s all about the sanity for me too, I definitely remember the enjoyment factor, and had quite a bit of experience, so looking forward to trying it again :)

Thanks for all the responses, and it`s good to know you are all still into it as much as you are. This could be the tonic I`ve been hankering after.

I`ll post some pics for those interested as things progress :geek:

6 people like this

Jaysus you'll be making 5000 piece jigsaws next! Only joking, I used to make a few models as a kid too, always planes. I tried a rubber powered balsa kit when I was a kid but it failed miserably (no help). In fact I just spent the last 20 minutes looking at rubber band plane kits, I think I might just treat myself to one and build it with my nephew. In my mid 30's now, feeling confident I might actually succeed this time. Not seeing many British sellers for such kits now, they seem to me more in the American market. Anyhow, cool thread and good luck with your models :v:

2 people like this

i used to buy the bag of matchsticks and do tobacco tins with them, you can also do matchstick models but they can be a bit fiddly.

2 people like this