Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KayDog

How much smell on a GG?

17 posts in this topic

I'm planning on a GG next year. I've never done GG before so I don't know how much smell to expect (I appreciate this is strain-dependent). I was thinking of 2 sets of 8 plants to cope with losses, if they occur. Each set will be in a different place.

That said, the smell part of it is important as I'm scouting around for for a suitable place. I know to go where people don't, but knowing how much smell would be useful. I'm kinda expecting it to be less than a tent, if that doesn't sound too obvious or stupid?

Thank you.

That great that ur planning a GG grow kaydog, I'm doing one this year & was also concerned abt the smell but where I put them nobody went & stupiditly had them in 11ltr buckets. Smell was not a worry when passing but as I enter into the plot vaguely got a smell. I did thing arse ways but hay live & learn. It hard work with preparation but so enjoyable being out with them with mother nature. Go 4 it mate, u will love the GG.

1 person likes this

With most of my plants, I would say 80% of them, you cannot smell the plant at all unless you get real close, as in like 10 yards... in which case you would spot the plant anyway, so smell wouldn't matter. However a few of my plants (Killer Kush FV, Jack 47 FV & auto Blueberry) stink from some distance, like they could definitely give the game away if someone gets within smelling distance, so it is definitely strain and pheno dependent.

I had both the Killer Kush FV and an auto Blueberry in my cornfield plot, and towards the end of flowering, I noticed the smell would travel a good 50-75 yards in either direction, and this was just from a couple of plants. It seemed to be wind dependent though... like if you walked in an easterly direction from my plants, it would only smell up to about 20 yards away. But if you walked in a westerly direction, in the way the wind was blowing, the smell would travel as I said, 50-75 yards. Flowering plants can really kick up a stink. I never had this problem last year, but this year a few strains put my plots at risk of being compromised, just due to the smell travelling.

Edited by English Archer
1 person likes this

@@Irishgirl

Thanks, Irishgirl. That fills me with hope and strength. I'm going to have a few walks around and see what opportunities might arise.

@@English Archer

Super thanks for that. I think I might prioritise lower smelling types over yield as I think the places where I reckoning to grow, there could be people if there's an unfortunate prevailing wind. I'll do some research into the types for that. Major thanks, pal.

(Mods/Admin: Would it be okay if I described some possible places without giving the location? Maybe a non-descript photo (ie no buildings, exif-stripped, etc)?

Edited by KayDog
1 person likes this

Kaydog, take a look in my gallery, album Prep for 2017, found a nice plot for next season. People do post potential plots & there plants. Good look mate.

1 person likes this

@@English Archer

Super thanks for that. I think I might prioritise lower smelling types over yield as I think the places where I reckoning to grow, there could be people if there's an unfortunate prevailing wind. I'll do some research into the types for that. Major thanks, pal.

If you're choosing good enough plots to grow in, you shouldn't have to worry too much about people walking right nearby. Don't come up short when it comes to plots. You're only going to have smell problems if you have a particularly stinky strain or if you bunch plants together in a group, but again, if it is a good enough plot you shouldn't have to worry. At one of my plots I am a bit less sure about security... well I put about 10 plants in the ground, all spaced out from each other by roughly 10-20 yards. It made it very hard to spot them as the blended in and you sure as hell couldn't smell any of them either. Then at another plot I had 4 plants bunched together, and it absolutely stinks within a 50 yard radius. But yeah, if you're plot isn't too secure, go for less stinky strains...

2 people like this

@@English Archer

I'm rolling a fat one in your honour as I type. thank you, sir.

3 people like this

Dont grow near busy areas. google earth you will see great places, but also some you will discern dog walkers trails, shortcut throughfares etc.

I avoid these.

2 people like this

@@chaosmonger

Thanks for the tip!

1 person likes this

Do more than two plots . I did ten plots and lost half.

Dont worry about the smell. Good luck its a fun hobby.

@@Key4

I hope you better success for your next ventures! Thanks for the heads-up.

1 person likes this

@@Key4

I hope you better success for your next ventures! Thanks for the heads-up.

5/10 is very successful ,Thats just how it gos . Put out ten times as much as you need and hope a few come good.

@@Irishgirl

Thanks for that. I'll read up on your gallery tonight with a glass and a smoke!

1 person likes this

LIke english archer said, with most strains smells dont carry distance very far. Some strains though are major stinkers. With large plants i have been able to smell bud at 100 yards, but its a rarity. I would also consider trying a few autoflowers. Getting a nice early/mid summer harvest and having some bud in jars is a great way to kick off the grow.

Try to avoid strains with skunk#1 genetics.

Edited by 912GreenSkell

I find many strains can travel a good 5-10m in flower and some much further. Its not just me others with me have also.

1 person likes this