Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smoke75

Germinating in final pot - water or wet/dry cycle

Hello all, I'm about to embark on my 2nd grow with autos.

With my first grow I popped the seeds straight into their final pots and all worked well. The soil was dry and I watered around the seed/seedling as they developed.

My gut feeling this time is to do the wet/dry cycle from the kick off i.e. thoroughly water the soil in the pots until it runs off, leave for a few hours then pop the seed in just below the surface. As I see the surface soil dry I will lightly water the area.

I plan on doing this to ensure there us enough moisture in the soil as the roots bury their way down. Last time the majority of the soil was bone dry in the early days apart from where I watered around the seedlings.

What do you think?

Edited by smoke75
1 person likes this

@@smoke75

Yeah it can go a bit stale though mate so I wouldn't over saturate it, you could also start them in a starter pot and pot up after around 10 to 14 days as this is ok to do also ;)

3 people like this

Thanks, I considered starter pots but prefer to go straight to final for ease. I suppose I could do a half way house solution and give a good watering before I drop the seeds in, but not that much it saturates them. The final pots are 15l.

1 person likes this

@@smoke75

If you're not fussed on potting up, cut the bottom out of a starter pot and place that ontop of the big pot and start your seed in the smaller of the two. Water the top pot until the plant grows big enough to warrant watering the bigger pot instead :yep:

7 people like this

Hello all, I'm about to embark on my 2nd grow with autos.

With my first grow I popped the seeds straight into their final pots and all worked well. The soil was dry and I watered around the seed/seedling as they developed.

My gut feeling this time is to do the wet/dry cycle from the kick off i.e. thoroughly water the soil in the pots until it runs off, leave for a few hours then pop the seed in just below the surface. As I see the surface soil dry I will lightly water the area.

I plan on doing this to ensure there us enough moisture in the soil as the roots bury their way down. Last time the majority of the soil was bone dry in the early days apart from where I watered around the seedlings.

What do you think?

Let me know how you get on with this method mate, this is what I plan to do.

Will do. I'll be kicking off today. Once started I'll likely create a grow diary in the next week or two when things start above ground.

1 person likes this

Cheers fella, ill be pulling up a chair for that one.

I've just created a post under grow diaries, I'll update that one as time goes by.

@@smoke75

If you're not fussed on potting up, cut the bottom out of a starter pot and place that ontop of the big pot and start your seed in the smaller of the two. Water the top pot until the plant grows big enough to warrant watering the bigger pot instead :yep:

Spot on advice there, the perfect solution for this circumstance.

Bests dodge

3 people like this

@@smoke75

Thanks.

I popped them straight into the soil, as I did on my previous grow, this time I pre-soaked the soil. Two days has gone by and it's moist on and below the surface, hopefully in a few more days we shall see the results.

Last time I did the same but only watered lightly around where the seed was planted, with hindsight this was too dry however all came out well in the end.

Edited by smoke75

i pop the seeds from the wet paper towel into a small fiberglass grow cube.

when the tap root shows through the bottom of the cube thats when i pop them into the soil.

i tried to go straight into the final pot on my current auto grow but had trouble getting the watering right.

next time ill do my normal system of paper towel->cube->starter pot->final pot.

its what i do for regular seeds and i know how to manage the system.

if you've done it this way before then u must know what your doing.

tbh i never thought to put the seeds directly into the final pot.

mainly because i read that autos were notoriously light feeders and i thought the mix would burn the delicate starter roots.

so im learning all the time.

i pop the seeds from the wet paper towel into a small fiberglass grow cube.

when the tap root shows through the bottom of the cube thats when i pop them into the soil.

i tried to go straight into the final pot on my current auto grow but had trouble getting the watering right.

next time ill do my normal system of paper towel->cube->starter pot->final pot.

its what i do for regular seeds and i know how to manage the system.

if you've done it this way before then u must know what your doing.

tbh i never thought to put the seeds directly into the final pot.

mainly because i read that autos were notoriously light feeders and i thought the mix would burn the delicate starter roots.

so im learning all the time.

I've been lucky and never had an issue as such with popping straight into the final pot. Recent pictures to follow in my 2nd grow diary.

The medium I use is plant magic soil supreme which I hear is a very light mix. I've only added nutes in the 2nd week (PM oldtimer grow, 2ml/l), not that it looked like they needed it, but after doing some research most people added a light amount of nutes due to the mix being so light.