Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

v12xjs

The 1 foot farm

87 posts in this topic

Awesome work mate :yep:

Just amazing what you are doing in such a small space :)

2 people like this

Nice little system you have going on there.

1 person likes this

Man this is awesome I'm looking to potentially migrate to a Micro set up after this current crop and something along this line looks perfect! Maybe a touch bigger but along this line for sure.

Can I ask what pots you are using? With such limited head room I imagine pot size is key.

Great work!

NezA

1 person likes this

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, they are much appreciated.
Hey NezA glad you like the stylee :)
You are quite correct, the right pot makes a big difference. It took a long time to find the right ones for this setup but I got them eventually.

P1100511

P1100512

The bigger one is from Aldi's laundry detergent section and I can fit 4 in the case in a variety of configurations.

Pots

The Aldi tub holds 1.8 litres of water and the other tub holds 1 litre but family packs are available up to 5 or 6 litres if required. I just use 2 of the same size, one inside the other and this leaves a 3 quarter inch gap between the bottom of the inner and outer tub. I put some holes in the inner tub and the runoff from the coco can just drain through them and stay in that collection area until I get round to emptying it, usually at the next watering.
The new clones start out in the 1 litre and get upgraded to the bigger pot shortly after the stretching starts.
Being able to fit the pots either sideways or lengthways means I can move them around to get light on all sides of the plants.
The holes themselves may look quite professional but it's a dead easy hack. I got a soldering iron from B&Q for about £4 and once it's hot it simply lances through the plastic, leaving a perfect hole every time. A quick wipe with a wad of kitchen roll while it's still hot and it's ready to go again next time ;)
Good luck with the new setup NezA.
10 people like this

@@v12xjs that's a really smart solution mate I'm definitely going to to give a small grow a try

Thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this

UPDATE
There's actually 2 updates this week.
Firstly the seedplant was cropped on Sunday and shortly afterwards she looked like this:

P1100515

but a week goes by and now she looks like this:

P1100522

The keen eyed will notice a 2nd bud has gone awol since day 45 ;( My bad.
2nd update is that the perpetual grow has finally begun. Nothing much to see so far, just a single clone at around day 6.

P1100531

P1100530

I've started the LST on her and I'll probably remove all but 4 full branches. I'd prefer 3 branches per plant to allow better light all around, but she doesn't get as fat as my other NL's so I probably need to compensate for that....It's something I'll monitor and adjust in future if needs be.
The next generation are also doing ok. Both the clones are up and about, that's only a week or so from being taken which will prove to be a very helpful trait as things progress.

P1100528

All these plants get the same food, 2.5ml A + 2.5ml B in a litre of fresh water.
I spoke to the guy on the Canna stand at an exhibition one time and asked him if I should let water stand before use. He said that all plant food manufacturers are aware of standard water purification methods and their products are designed to work with fresh water for best results. So that's what I use.
Based on the knowledge I've gained from growing out the original seed plant I want to flower these clones for 50 days, and they will take around 21 days to go from rooted cutting to flowering plant, so their life cycle will run for around 71 days.
With the intention of 3 plants in the cab that means a new plant needs to go in every 24 days.
Sitting on 3 viable cuttings means I don't need to have another one ready for 96 days, so I can put the scissors down for a bit now :)
8 people like this

Hi mate excellent setup well done. I thought about a pc grow myself but seemed like an absolute headache. good to see its doable though !

1 person likes this

Hey Keeno, thanks for stopping by.

There's so many bargains to be had buying a tent/hps/rvk and so much info available on using such kit, you'd have to be mad not to really. Even the crappy pc growcases available online are a couple of hundred quid a pop and there's no support for using them. In reality you made a wise choice not to grow in a pc case!

But I am slightly eccentric and I do love a challenge, and luckily enough I've made it work for me. That's why I figured I'd put up a diary for those less wise than yourself, who chose based on available space rather than ease of use ;(

Edited by v12xjs
1 person likes this

Hey Keeno, thanks for stopping by.
There's so many bargains to be had buying a tent/hps/rvk and so much info available on using such kit, you'd have to be mad not to really. Even the crappy pc growcases available online are a couple of hundred quid a pop and there's no support for using them. In reality you made a wise choice not to grow in a pc case!
But I am slightly eccentric and I do love a challenge, and luckily enough I've made it work for me. That's why I figured I'd put up a diary for those less wise than yourself, who chose based on available space rather than ease of use ;(

I havnt gone much bigger to be honest ! Its roughly 1.8ft tall but that extra space made all the difference when building it. This post is exactly what I needed as I started to doubt whether I could do it or not untill I got a bigger space but you proven that it can be done and done well :king:

1 person likes this

@@v12xjs Great diy mate I love this kind of good old fashioned outside the box thinking.

It seems a simple and cheap way to buy low watt CMH ballasts <70/100w that are all over eBay even nice Philips 70w ones,add cabling,fittings and cheaper low watt CMH (good brands though) bulbs and over a few months build up an array for a large wardrobe roof for instance,mine would take 5 which works out at about £130 and they'd be so scalable rather than having an expensive solo 3-400w CMH set up.....hmmmm!

Genuine thanks for the inspiration!I spy a project in the offing.

1 person likes this

Hey Keeno, I didn't realize you were working with such a tight space. Glad my posts have given you the confidence of your conviction.

I'm not new to this style of growing and I've worked out all the kinks now so if there's anything I can help you with, please just ask.

Hi Badbadger and thanks for popping by. Like yourself, I'm amazed at what's available on fleabay. It would be rude not to treat your plants at those prices ;)

If that's your plan then keep an eye open for the double units. I have a 2x70w that's just a bit longer than a single 70w ballast and I've seen them in 35w and 150w as well. Like you say, you could easily get up to 300w with better heat and light spread but for a fraction of the cost! Hmmm.

UPDATE
Still not much to see as yet but things will heat up soon enough. There's plenty of bits and bobs to do to keep everything on track however, so today I'll be mostly boring you with mundane stuff.
Firstly I'll be needing a clone ready to dance in about 10 days. Keeping them in coffee cups is convenient but they get rootbound very quickly and that stunts growth, so I've repotted the next clone into an intermediate pot and taken 2 clones off her. It will take about a week for her to recover so she should be fighting fit when she gets the call.

P1100538

I'll focus more on how I transplant them in a future post. It's pretty a brutal technique but quite effective for maxing roots in a small pot.
In the main cab it was time to do some topiary on my little flower girl.

P1100536

P1100537

There were 5 colas on the plant but in the last pic I've cut one away and opened everything up.
If I was shooting for a 4 plant cycle then this plant would have to remain within the footprint of the pot, but as I'm only growing 3 at a time, they can hang over the sides of the pot a little.
She's already showing early signs of flower, which is faster than I anticipated but it shouldn't cause any problems down the line.
For what it's worth, the seedplant ended up giving me 39g of dry bud. Not bad, but the race is on to get my next harvest in before it runs out.
5 people like this

@@v12xjs

An ounce and not too far off a q is pretty good work mate from what is essentially a computer case...I'd be well happy :yes: looking great in here as per usual :v:

2 people like this

Thanks botanics, you are right of course. Just seems like a long way to my next harvest ;(

1 person likes this

Thanks botanics, you are right of course. Just seems like a long way to my next harvest ;(

Get another and have twins? :D

1 person likes this