Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coys

cupboard convertion

right guys n girls, here goes lol

i have been given the green light to convert a cupboard at me grow pals gaff, am using a dr90 in it at mo but its a bit too big to shut the doors and keep it sort of stealthy, it measures approx 4ft wide 2ft 11" deep and roughly 8-9ft high. i went over today to take some pics to show you guys and to hopefully get some help, ideas and advice on the best way to go about it as to be honest i aint got a scooby!, iv always grown in tents lol.

first pic is of where the tent is now, could`nt move tent out on me own today i was in loads of pain, ffs, also thats why ducting was on the floor, there is obviously a frame already there (for the doors lol) to stop light leeks around the top and sides, its a bit wobbly so need to sort that. would it be best to put some 2x2 or 4x2 at bottom to stop light leeks there? and maybe another down the middle to stop leeks when doors are closed?.there is another cupboard right next to this on the left and was gonna cut a hole the size if a plug, to keep all electrical equipment there?.am i best to use white matt paint or buy some reflective sheeting for inside?. as for intake and extracting, i was going to extract in to the loft, not been up there yet and dont think its insulated would this be a problem? also its so small up there you have to crawl! (i`ll take some pics in next few days). as for intake , this is where it gets a bit weird, there is an airing cupboard (second pic) outside on landing (with a weird mesh thing boxed in, going from the loft to the only way of describing it is a walk in cupboard in the kitchen downstairs!) and it backs on to this room im growing in and the room next door so could i cut a hole and join it to this boxed in thing?

pic 1 of cupboard with tent in lol

gallery_72254_7563_146426.jpg

pic 2 of airing cupboard with weird contraption boxed in, soz bout the mess me pal needs a tidy up lmao

gallery_72254_7563_9880.jpg

pic 3 is of this mesh thing, looks like solid ducting going 3/4 of way down?

gallery_72254_7563_124141.jpg

pic 4 is where this mesh thing starts in airing cupboard

gallery_72254_7563_5250.jpg

pic 5 is where it ends, downstairs in a kind of walk in cupboard in kitchen?

gallery_72254_7563_56537.jpg

tbh, if i did`nt know better i`d say the people who lived there before me pal were growers! just my 2p tho could be wrong just looks a bit suss to me!

so, any help, advise or ideas on materials and best way about it peeps please post away!

thanks as always, coys :smokin:

1 person likes this

The mesh thing looks like a guard for that pipe, to stop anything touching it and catching fire, I guess it's a flue pipe from an old burner or boiler.

Sounds like you're on the right lines with the venting, lightproofing the doors will be a job, you may end up having to make an internal door from a few bits of timber and some sheeting.

Edited by Captain Bonglington
3 people like this

right, been thinking first thing i need to do is drill the holes for intake/extraction and need to decide on what size fan/filter for extracting. will a 6" rvk L1 and rhino pro/mounting air on controller be ok for this size? will obviously need to buy these as i only have a 5" fan n filter. as for intake me pal wants less noise as poss and ideally he wants to go passive? dont think it would work going passive so i said we could put 4" hole in to airing cupboard and run a 4" rvk (maybe box it up?) in there for intake with ducting going down through that floor plate, sucking cool air from downstairs cupboard? do you guys think it would work? or any other ideas?????

now ideas on light proofing the doors, i thought exactly the same as @@Captain Bonglington, could either, build a frame and put a beam down the middle and fill each side with something thats removeable (not sure on best materials lol) like a hidden door or i thought, dont know if it would work, i could run some 2x2 or 4x2 at the bottom of the frame thats already there, get sum black n white, diamond reflective sheeting or similar and get one of them zipper things that you stick on and cut where you want the zip, if you get what i mean?. think they are called zipwall????

there is sooooo much to think about in terms of what needs to be done, so i gotta take it one step at a time! iv also got me girls in the tent to worry about too!!!!

cheers peeps

coys :smokin:

@@coys

well the pics are a little blurry for me but mate those pipes I think you will find are asbestos and also the panel in front that hides them , do not go breaking that and if the boards are very dried out and giving off dust keep well away from them ,if they are asbestos the house company should remove them or may have plans to do so so watch growing in there .

just my thoughts mate but air in take near asbestos you be sucking in a world of hurt

stay safe grow well

3 people like this

@@coys I'm thinking they look asbestos like too it's got that sparkle and the way that corner has crumbled off that board doesn't look good at all if it is, definitely it wants looking at by someone who knows.

Edited by The_Moog
3 people like this

@@coys and please don't just try and vac it up you will make the spread worse mate ,again asbestos is another word for long painful death ,as moog says get someone that knows to check we are just going off pics but it looks iffy to me mate .

stay safe grow well

1 person likes this

@@The_Moog @@noddy

holey shit guys that thought never popped in me head! now you got me worried! do you think i better finish this grow THEN get someone in to av a look? aint gonna touch nish now....

@@coys

truth yes I would but it is your call , I hate asbestos at the best of times and use to hate going in older houses as you knew full well the old flues and backing to the boilers was asbestos .

just finish your grow mate and move your gear away then like I said don't vac it or brush at it if you want to do that spray water over it first with a little hand pump spray as when damp it does not blow up but wear a mask if you do and do a little then go out side then go back damp again then bush a little then same old until you clear the area .

The other think you can do if you don't want to call people in is seal that area off with plastic sheet and duct tape use a good quality thick plastic and good duct tape and that is another way to keep it away from you .

stay safe grow well

1 person likes this

@@noddy

fuck that mate lol im gonna tell me pal im gonna finish this grow then he better get someone out to look at it and go from there, me thinks!....

need to re-think plans then lol.....

cheers bud, this is why i love this site :yep:

I overlooked the fact that pipe looks like asbestos, sorry folks.

1 person likes this

@@Captain Bonglington

no need to apologise mate, i think we just got a bit carried away with it lol.....no harm done mate

@coys high mate I did some checking because back in the day there was another product called ASBESTOLUX again a heat shield board and pipe ,but again do not mess with the stuff but you can paint it with old emulsion paint or a coat of pva watered down if you like to stop it degrading any further , they also did something called ASBESTOCRETE I think was the name but it was a bit like the word BIRO it is genric for most ballpens .

Just go easy if you do find you want it removed it should be a landlord if you rent that has to do it ,but if they say it is asbestolux and want to leave it you can remove it but go easy boiler suit goggles and a good mask ok that stuff should have been marked with the skull and cross bones I hate the stuff with a passion it shows up to much in the 70-80's era houses well even before that

stay safe grow well

Edited by noddy
2 people like this

@@noddy

thank you ever sooo much for the heads up on that mate, its not my house, im growing with a pal, cant belive they let him move in with it like that! its a council housing association house, so still council owned id presume?

as i said mate think i`ll leave that shit well alone, knowing my luck i`ll kill me self and everyone inside lol

thanks again noddy!

1 person likes this