Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Embryo

Adult colouring books

75 posts in this topic

I got some from a poundshop they also had lots of different colouring books and arty stuff, well worth a visit. I`m finding it very therapeutic 4 hours last night and not a TV in sight ;)

4 people like this

These are great fun and very therapeutic

1 person likes this

Yeah man, what book you workin on atm? I've been flitting between Imagimorphia & the official Game of Thrones book recently

Edited by Embryo

Am thinking of getting the Pratchett colouring book and some water-colour pencils. I am just a bit worried about if the paper will be thick enough. It's a subject that is tempting to scoff at but I can imagine might be quite relaxing...a bit Zen like someone said. :)

1 person likes this

I very nearly bought the Discworld colouring book the other day! Its on the list next to the "Beasts of Tolkein" book

As I use a lot of markers in my colourings I tend to photocopy them nowadays so I don't have to worry about bleeding-through plus I can colour the same image multiple times :D Also you can enlarge on most modern copiers which is good if your eyesight or motor control isn't the best

E2a re:scoffing Funnily enough one of my friends was ripping the piss about me getting into colouring books.... Whilst sat there painting toy soldiers (warhammer figures)! lol

Edited by Embryo
5 people like this

Just ordered the walking dead and discworld books as it goes, i've been using polychromos pencils up till now but im keen to try some watercolours and ink at some point.

Great idea with the photocopying @@Embryo

Might get the missus one of the adult swearword colouring books for xmas as shes a right foul mouthed stress head sometimes, she'll love it lol

1 person likes this

Id love a set of polychromos, they produce amazing results. How do you find them @@BDG ?

I mostly use sharpies and staedtler fineliners in terms of ink. Just before the summer hols finished all the supermarkets were selling off big pen packs cheap (got 30 sharpies for less than a tenner) if you have a look round, some of the offers might still be on.

Im just starting to gather gel pens atm too, love the vivid colour they produce.

Seen quite a few awesome horror/zombie style books (lots coming out atm coz of halloween)

The Beauty of Horror: A GOREgeous Coloring Book has just been released today, ill be getting my copy at the end of the month. The sample page the author released looked great.

lots of good sweary ones too, i like the midnight ones (printed on black paper) done with gel pens, they look really cool.

@@Embryo Great post mate. That's given me some great ideas for decorating my son's bedroom. Cheers mate!

1 person likes this

@@Embryo If you like drawing enough to fork out for a set then go for it you wont regret it!

When i first got my 120 set a few months ago it was like rediscovering what a pencil was, up until then i had been using just random kids pencils which were really shit and waxy and would clog the paper. I must admit the polychromos cost a bloody fortune but the difference is night and day compared to anything else i have ever used and its a set that i plan on looking after and id say the hours of enjoyment i have had from them already make it worth every penny for me.

I'm not much of an arty person but i have fallen in love with my colouring books, i work nights as a carer and can sometimes be sat at work with nothing to do for hours on end so i just sit quietly and immerse myself, shifts seem to fly by and because im on nights its nice to be doing something quiet so not to disturb anyone.

The things you can achieve with the polychromos you simply couldn't do with what i was using before, i always was jealous of the lovely shading effects people could achieve and always thought it was me doing something wrong but with a set of these and some help from youtube i've improved tenfold in a few months. Lovely vivid colours too and they sharpen up really really nice, you can get an amazing tip for fine detail work without constant breakages. And i like the fact they are round and quite chunky which i find very comfortable in the hand and they require minimum pressure to get pencil on paper.

Been playing with blending with oil paint thinner and brush recently amazing results you can get, and then you can go back and shade again over the top, those tortillions work quite well for blending too, though they are perfectly good pencils on their own but its fun exploring new techniques.

Anyway i guess if you know what a set of polychromos are then you probably knew all that anyway.

Yeah i think that will be a good shout for the missus the midnight books and gel pens sounds right up her street, she thought i was mad colouring at first but she's on her third or fourth page now so about time she got her own book!!

Off to look at sharpies, what do you use a mix of the fine points, ultra fine and regular?

2 people like this

great grandson ask me do some colouring in with him, i told him i was not good at doing stuff like that but i will try, he watched me then took the pen of me telling me i was right cos i'm rubbish doing that.

1 person likes this

My mate is a mechanic, he told me him and his wife were having lunch in a garden centre of a Saturday and they decided to both have a go at some colouring with one of these books. He said as he coloured out of nowhere this thick cloud of depression came over him and everthing was awful. Like reading a map in the car he had to stop cos it were making him ill. Hes a really intelligent guy thats always working n mind works like the clappers so for some people it might be too repetitive with little room for creativity beyond filling in colour.

My misses has an offensive one with loads of quite rude text. Which is nice.

1 person likes this

Can't see the attraction myself.

Adult colouring are they a John Raymond publication

@@BDG yeah I follow some amazing artists on youtube (Peta Hewitt, Chris Cheng, etc) so have seen the awesomeness of PC pencils! I really wanna set but it wont happen til after xmas now.

Been learning blending & shading recently. My stuff is quite crude but im getting there!

with regards to the sharpies, I use fine points as none of the others are available round here plus they were on offer! lol

@@Evelyn Pickaxe If you think there is little room for creativity, you should check out the artists named above..

@@Dartman no they arent for everyone. That being said, ive never had an interest in this sort of stuff but after seeing some of the designs and having a long period of doing FA due to an op I thought fuck it, give em a go!

Its even inspired me to learn to actually draw!

E2a go on then, who is John Raymond?

Edited by Embryo

colouring in between lines i meant. the drawings are nuts