Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

EchoSevenNine

Getting baked and Woodturning...

31 posts in this topic

@@distracted

Sorry to take this off topic guys...

Why is offsite hosting a bad thing? Genuine question btw, I'm clueless.

As Madgiz says, we strip out identifying data. Another element is that when a browser calls up an image hosted offsite, the server hosting the image can access the IP address of the browser asking for the image. This can be used to harvest IP addresses if wished, not suggesting in anyway that happens but it could. We limit offsite hosting to generic images accessed by thousands daily such a news picture or meme images, pictures that aren't specific to UK420 posters

4 people like this

Nice work mate! I haven't a lathe but I've been carving a few pipes and bits and pieces. Rather plainer than yours though! I can spend hours out in the shed, the time goes in a flash.

I'm interested in how you bored the long stems, I find it hard to do more than 5-6" stems and I'd like to do some longer ones.

Cheers

If you use a thin branch you can just use a piece of tying wire in a drill and start at the pith at the centre and it will follow it all the way through.

High speed drilling but light pressure on the wire is the key.

1 person likes this

Very elegant looking pieces. Top work! :)

look really lovely mate

nice and natural/earthy

love the round bowls must be nice to hold

:stoned:

Really nice work mate.

When I lived on my farm I had a big old workshop and I spent most evenings there having a beer and a smoke and getting creative. Sometimes I'd do stuff with wood, sometimes with metal and a lot of the time I just sit and think about it. Happy days.

1 person likes this

If you use a thin branch you can just use a piece of tying wire in a drill and start at the pith at the centre and it will follow it all the way through.

High speed drilling but light pressure on the wire is the key.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

You're all too kind.

I'm an amateur at best, but still enjoy tinkering and I suppose that's the important thing.

1 person likes this

Clever chap. Wish I had your skills.

Here's what I've been up to:

pipes

The bottom 2 are a few years old and have had extensive use :yes: - the middle one is my favourite, the little one fits in my tin. The top one is the latest effort and I'm really pleased with it - used EchoSevenNine's tip for boring long stems - this one is ash, I've since done some others in hazel. All the other wood in the pic is cherry.
2 people like this

Very nice @@MrSlatersParrot

Is that a small hole cross drilled through the stem on the largest pipe? What's that for?

@@EchoSevenNine yours look superb too!

what is tying wire mate if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Openairbud

Thanks @@Openairbud! Not as gorgeous as @EchoSevenNines ones, I go for a more 'workmanlike' style.

It's not a hole, it's a tiny knot in the wood where there was a twig that must have died off - there's a couple of them on the stem.

I think tying wire is the stuff you use to tie chain link fencing on to the line wires, so 16 gauge (1.6mm) mild steel wire (could be wrong though). I've actually used line wire cos I had some - so ~3mm high tensile steel, this may be a bit stiff as I ruined quite a few twigs although I'm getting better!

Edited by MrSlatersParrot

Ah thanks for clearing things up for me @@MrSlatersParrot.

I'm gonna have to try that, using wire as a drill bit, interesting!

All the best testing your latest creation!

Awsome pipes guys! Used to love getting baked turning as a youth, looking back it was pretty dangerous mind you lol

What type of wood turning lathe you use @@EchoSevenNine