Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dallas1305

Good quality oscillating fan, surge protector and timer

27 posts in this topic

Hello guys and gals,

As the title suggests I'm after a good quality oscillating fan, surge protector and timer for my 1.2mx1.2m tent. I thought I'd ask the experts seen as you've probably already done the research and tested some products. I'm currently using a very old smith timer which is working fine but am in need of another. Not really sure whether I need a surge protector but the fear of a fire makes me want to buy this to put my mind at ease.

Let me know your recommendations please, I appreciate your support and guidance.

Dave

The Lowenergie 30A Manual Timer is great value (£15) and you can wire in any extension lead so you might as well wire one in with surge protection. Make sure you don't get the £20 digital one. Any surge protector should suffice, e.g. the Argos Value 2 Way Surge Extension on Amazon UK (£5).

By far my favourite oscillating fan is my Honeywell HO-5500RE Oscillating Tower Fan. Doesn't take up much room and you can set it for random pulses. You do have to tape over the power-on buttons if you're doing photoperiod flowering though. Brutally expensive (£70) but I think worth it. My partner has one of those £25-30 white basics type tower fans from Amazon, it's functional enough. But the Honeywell is that bit taller, starts the breeze that bit higher up, and has a greater angle of oscillation (as well as the random pulse "breeze" mode I mentioned).

Edited by White Warg
1 person likes this

Just to add the Honeywell has a three year guarentee, somewhere like Argos will keep replacing them.

I use the Grasslin ElectroMechanical 24hr Plug-In Timer with suitable contactor.

C.

1 person likes this

The osculating fans break after a while, they stop turning.

1 person likes this

@@White Warg @@Clumsy

Thanks for the replies. Im planning on running leds so before I posted I had the idea i would be using standard plug in timers like the ones i use for fishtanks. Is this a bad idea then?

Im now considering a 4 way surge protector wired into a lowenergie 30A manual timer as @@White Warg suggested. Then jus run my intake, outake and oscillating fan from a separate extension lead.

Ill be setting up my tent in the garage so wasnt sure whether i needed an oscillating fan but I'll get one just incase. I was planning on getting a clip on fan to save money. Anyone know a good clip on oscillating fan to go for?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dallas1305

@@dallas1305 the only ones I've managed to keep alive for more than 6 months (without unbearable rattling etc) are the Draper clip on fans, bit bulky but move more air and are quiet.

Recently I just bought 6 of the Secret Jardin Money fans they don't move much air, just a gentle breeze, but apparently have a 1 year warranty. I've been meaning to ask the supplier if its just an easy "send out a new one while I send the old broken one", hopefully so. Atb bro :)

1 person likes this

I ran a Mars 300 on a standard Grasslin and it was fine. Then I daisy-chained some LEDs together and it blew the timer. And another. Then I did my research and got the Lowenergie 30A and I can confirm it's still going strong.

The nice thing is it's only a few quid more than a standard Grasslin timer. You do have to wire it in, but if you can do a standard UK house plug you have the skills.

1 person likes this

@@White Warg Ah ok so I'm probably going to go with this. Do you plug this timer into the socket in the wall or open the socket up and connect the wires into the timer. Im thinkin that if i have to plug it in, it looks so big that it'll cover the plug next to it which i want to use for my extension for fans.

No, you get an extention cord and cut it in half. There are two feeds into the unit, one for power in, one for power out.

If I recall correctly, on the Neutral and Earth you wire both the in and the out onto the same connectors, there are separate Live In and Out connectors. (There are only four connectors in the unit).

Then, basically, you have an extension cord with a heavy duty timer in the middle. If your LEDs don't daisy chain (e.g. Mars original units) then you could use a 2-way or 3-way or whatever extension cord and have them all put into it.

@@White Warg thanks alot mate. I cant daisy chain 2 mars 96 reflectors and i may add lighting later so ill do your idea with a 4way surge protector

@@growit ill prob get a draper fan too.

Thanks for your recommendations

1 person likes this

No, you get an extention cord and cut it in half. There are two feeds into the unit, one for power in, one for power out.

If I recall correctly, on the Neutral and Earth you wire both the in and the out onto the same connectors, there are separate Live In and Out connectors. (There are only four connectors in the unit).

Then, basically, you have an extension cord with a heavy duty timer in the middle. If your LEDs don't daisy chain (e.g. Mars original units) then you could use a 2-way or 3-way or whatever extension cord and have them all put into it.

They're good those lowenergie timers but if you're cutting an extention cord and wiring it in then glands should be used to clamp the cables, they're easy to fit as they go straight into the holes where the grommets are.

DSC 0223

DSC 0221

2 people like this

@@The_Moog thanks for the advice, i take it any diy shop stocks these glands?

Screwf1x does normally, I don't know about the others they may not.

@@The_Moog thanks for the advice, i take it any diy shop stocks these glands?

I imagine so, if not a local tool shop will they look like standard 20mm cable glands to me :)

1 person likes this

They're good those lowenergie timers but if you're cutting an extention cord and wiring it in then glands should be used to clamp the cables, they're easy to fit as they go straight into the holes where the grommets are.

lol wish I'd have know about them before. I just make sure my cables are never tugged.

Great advice.