Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kaoticnzymes

Soil Air injection does it work ?

18 posts in this topic

easy peeps

I came across what is being called air injection technology by one company, using a spider like air diffuser in the bottom of a compost pot, they had it set up as a kind of dwc for soil has anyone used this idea? I want to grow in compost preferably organic but im not clued up at all when it comes to composts i can think of benefits for pumping air into the soil but is there any reason why it wouldn't be beneficial?

Any knowledge? Thoughts? Theorys?

Thanks

Come on peeps someone muust know something about it?

It sounds like a brilliant idea to me. If no one has tried it i will give it a go and let you know.

Any ideas on how much air to add and how often let me know

i was thinking of adding one of them spider tubes or air stone in the bottom covering with clay pebbles maybe a piece of matting to prevent soil from clogging the air holes then the compost on top or simply running an open ended tube into thhe bottom of the pots ? The roots should be more healthier it will be hard to over water, no root rot, you wont need big pots, the only neg i can think might happen is if the air kills off healthy bacteria and fungi ? Idk?

What do you think?

Edited by Kaoticnzymes

ive seen it and put it down to alot of shite

its a 5 inch layer of clay pebbles in bottom of pots with a air line going in with soil on top

cant use conventional pots as they need to be sealed

so how do u feed ? as theres no where to run off too?

u want to grow organically? forget it. organic nutes even being bubbled would go bad before too long

give it a bash let us know how it goes

but i say if ye want to grow in compost do it

if u want to grow dwc do it

if u want to grow coco do it

dont mix them all up

ive seen it and put it down to alot of shite

its a 5 inch layer of clay pebbles in bottom of pots with a air line going in with soil on top

cant use conventional pots as they need to be sealed

so how do u feed ? as theres no where to run off too?

u want to grow organically? forget it. organic nutes even being bubbled would go bad before too long

give it a bash let us know how it goes

but i say if ye want to grow in compost do it

if u want to grow dwc do it

if u want to grow coco do it

dont mix them all up

It doesn't have to be a sealed pot, you can simply run an air line into the bottom of any pot and feed as normal, the point is to add fresh air to the roots.

I get your point but all methods are all based on the same principles and the best hydro systems are a combination,

Are you saying the air will make organic nutes go bad? Or keep them fresher for longer?

Just buy some airpots/root pouches for the same effect and much less effort/expence imo.

1 person likes this

Just buy some airpots/root pouches for the same effect and much less effort/expence imo.

Them airpots, do you have problems when repoting ? With shape of the pots wont the roots get stuck?

No problem repotting its watering them thats a pain but u get used to it

1 person likes this

It doesn't have to be a sealed pot, you can simply run an air line into the bottom of any pot and feed as normal, the point is to add fresh air to the roots.

I get your point but all methods are all based on the same principles and the best hydro systems are a combination,

Are you saying the air will make organic nutes go bad? Or keep them fresher for longer?

soil air injection is based on a sealed pot principle or atleast the ones i have seen before

if u are talking an air line just into the bottom of a open pot that has been done for a few years now esp in autopot systems called air domes but ive seen just as good results wihtout air domes than with them

if its a sealed pot the way this air injection system is worked yes organci nutes will go bad in about a week

1 person likes this

somebody said on here the other day they know someone thats made a piece of plastic sheet with velcro on each end and they wrap it round the pots and it stops water coming out the sides, ur talking bout them spikey pots theyre airpots right>? im smashed sorry

yeah, clinjfilm works well too, its just a pain in the ass doin it every time you water them!!

1 person likes this

I have used both air pots and the fabric pots and the fabric ones are the better product in my experience

Less comes out the side and the air exchange in the pot is better too.

Wizard :oldtoker:

4 people like this

Active airflow will dessicate roots that are directly in the airstream.

I know its not exactly helpful but if your lazy like me and like to just pour a few litres straight into the top of the pot then stick with plastic pots. Watering takes much longer with fabric/air pots. I do think they are better, I've tried both and fabric works slightly better, they are a bit more practical.

@@Phucface ,once the roots hit the bottom I just water into trays and they soak it up, its my first time in 8 lt wire baskets and my plants seem to love it.

3 people like this

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I'm wondering if anybody has actually grown something using air injection technology for soil?

Thanks.