Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mattock Man

How long are the carbon pellets in a filter good for if unused?

Happy 4/20 peeps! Hope everyone's having a blazy day!

I have a large CF that was bought about 7 years ago and never used ... (larger diameter than my fan).

It has been stored in various different places not all of them dry or free of odor.

I read somewhere that the carbon will just suck up bad smells even without a filter pulling through it and as I say its ben lying around for years in damp smelly places.

Basically I want to know if I can still use the carbon from it to re-fill my other filters as money is very much an object and the house is starting to stink!

Cheers fam

Happy 4/20 :yinyang:

MM

Don't refill a filter. you would be better of just using the old filter and see how it goes once up and running.. Sit directly in front of the exhaust end of the system and see if you pick anything up.

They do have a shelf life though, not sure if its just for the sake of it or they do actually perish over time, but refilling wont work.

GV.

Refilling does work but not sure how it would work with non virgin charcoal.

@@GreenVision if say you buy new active carbon instead of the stuff in the old one shorly that would be ok ?

@@Mattock Man if as you say its been damp ect i wouldnt risk it tbh lol

bless

Sorry to disagree but I have tried several times to refill filters and every time I can catch the smell in the air.. For me it just don't work.

Of course it can be done, and there are many companies that will swear blind it works fine then sell you what you need, but IME they are never as sweet as they were when brought new.

This said, you would do far worse to not have one, so with that in mind if a new filter is out of the question then go for it..

GV.

2 people like this

mmm. aargh. feck.

Sorry to disagree but I have tried several times to refill filters and every time I can catch the smell in the air.. For me it just don't work.

GV.

Good to now, i was thinking about it few time now reading this am glad i didnt bother.

Yeah @@distracted's refill thread is wicked but with it being such a critical piece of equipment in a grow I got nervous trying.

Be interested top know if he still does it with the same casing from years back?

Edited by Ital

Of course it can be done, and there are many companies that will swear blind it works fine then sell you what you need, but IME they are never as sweet as they were when brought new.

This said, you would do far worse to not have one, so with that in mind if a new filter is out of the question then go for it..

GV.

This shouldn't happen mate if fresh carbon is used and stuck on a vibration plate.

The last time I grew before quitting I built my filter and only used the one without any issues of leaking aromas in five years of using it, that was constructed with out the aid of a vibration plate and it was when the carbon could be bought at greens, but like I said it did the job perfectly well so it can be done :yep:

2 people like this

@@Mattock Man perhaps you could wash it to refresh it if it's just been laid around.

I'm sure folks have washed carbon..

@@botanics It can without a doubt be done mate.. Maybe I did it wrong, the stuff I used came from the net not a hydro shop so maybe it was a lesser quality product than I should have been using.

TBH I just buy new ones. I wish I could get it to work, not only because of the cost but because of the pain in the backside it can be getting rid of the huge filters I use.. I have to dismantle them to put them in the wheelie bin.

When I was on site doing air con & duct work the carbon filters we used to fit were specifically designed to be refilled, so it must be the done thing.

I think I was just put off by my experience, I defo' could smell the bud coming through and no mistake, even the missus asked if it was all OK as she could smell it.

Clearly I need some schooling in the way of the CF refill !!

1 person likes this

@@GreenVision

Aye it could be the carbon type mate like you say...when I had the bucket from greens it was pellets about 4mm and they don't do it any more or I would have put another filter together, but I did have a looky around the web and there's places about that sell it in the same form so might put another one together.