Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kiminal

Solar panels on my house

Does anyone else have solar panels on the roof? I just moved to a new gaff and it comes with 8 panels on the roof, I used to grow at my old place and the electric was huge but I was on the dreaded prepay meter - my concern now is how much to budget for the elec bill when it comes in. I'm literally just throwing a quick cupboard setup in to action with 1 600w hps, a small nft for two plants, I've got a tdsilent 250 for my outtake and a passive intake, admittedly this is a much smaller set up than I had before but atleast then I knew to put 50/60 a week on the key ( depressing). There's so much to do here before I can create my new larger space but I don't want to stop growing, it's been months as it is.

So back to my question, has anyone got solar panels (on grid) and have they noticed a good amount of reduction off the price of growing.

I wasn't sure where to post this and as I've been away from site and my subs ran out I thought I'd come back to the beginning...thanks Kimi

I have a 4kw setup and it produces about 3500 kwh a year and saves about £300 a year on the bill plus another £650 in money. An 8 panel setup will probably be half that and unless you own the solar contact you will only have access to the power as it is made, so you would have to run your light during the day to see any benefit, even then it wont be much. Basically you will save whatever you run during the day so long as the generation is higher than the drain.

The whole time your electric goes backwards, so you should not have to worry about electric.

The whole time your electric goes backwards, so you should not have to worry about electric.

Its possible that it wont, I think more modern metres dont allow it. When you make the contract you get payed for unused units but they estimate it at 50% of total generation and pay you a fixed rate for them, because of that they dont want the metre going backwards or they will paying you for nothing.

I have a 16 panel system 8kw south facing and my bill used to be about 200 a month and that halved, some is due to us only using high power consuming appliances in the day now. plus I get about £800 a year in payments. The in meter does stop flashing on a sunny day. I'ts made 10 megawatts of power in 2 1/2 years

1 person likes this

I posted this and forgot about it but months later I'm back and found the thread.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm only running a small cupboard at the moment (600w Hps) a tdsilent (small one - that's technical enough for me) and to be fair, the electric bill isn't a problem so far. The electric company are pushing for us to have a smart meter but I've ignored them so far, I think a year or so ago I read about smart meter being the growers downfall but I'm yet to read anything recently so I shall get on to that - I really want to go bigger, I'm planning on building a brick built shed/workshop in the garden and putting a larger set up in there but most of the growers I've ever met seem to bypass the electric box - and while I don't have an opinion on anyone's business (well I try not to) I really don't want the worry of being caught stealing electric on top of everything else, I've looked into buying an off grid solar system but filed that under "if only"

Until then I'm sticking to my little cupboard to keep myself going/learning - and I will say it's so much easier than the loft growing I did in the old place. Sadly can only fit two girls in at a time and have no mother space as yet but I'm working on it.

1 person likes this

wow this is an old post and something i am going through now

Solar is the way forward it is the future the only way forward for us and our offspring

just for your information off the grid is not that expensive i have just acquired a 2 bed riverside property which is also off the grid :)

no postcode no poll tax no gas no electricity no mains water it is beautiful anyway away from ranting

i have set this up with 6 125w solar panels 8 120AH leisure batteries 6KW inverter with a backup petrol generator for emergencies

the complete set up cost me £1200  thats it

never run out of electricity yet and the green light is always on on the controller so still got plenty more power to use its a shame i cant use it because its free

if you do the maths and wire everything correctly the above setup is good for most humble dwellings you dont need 16 solar panels 

just good batteries thats the trick to it 

5 people like this

29 minutes ago, highgrowtimes said:

just for your information off the grid is not that expensive i have just acquired a 2 bed riverside property which is also off the grid :)

no postcode no poll tax no gas no electricity no mains water it is beautiful

That sounds good to me, hell yeah where do I sign up lol

Sweet little setup bud, good for you :yep:

2 people like this

sounds posh well it is posh i suppose lol 400 quid a month rent but i save that in mortgage and utility bills it all makes sense nice retirement home with no money worries 2 more solars and a small inverter 2 new batts and a nice little grow :skin_up:

2 people like this