Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourTwenty420

Few questions on prepping

25 posts in this topic
I've started my diary over in the diary section now I've got my locations sorted but being completely new to this style of growing I wanted to run my plan by you more experienced growers to make sure I've got the right idea before I start digging..
1) Turn over local soil. Mix in Chicken Pellets, Fish/Blood/Bone Meal and CalSeaFeed.
Water once thoroughly and let sit for 2-4 weeks to cool and settle as feeds can be hot.
2) Mix 2 bags of Jack's Magic Compost into the amended local soil and water before planting.
- Crack AUTO seeds at home, plant directly into soil with a humidity dome over the top for the first week. (Big water jugs from supermarkets)
- Set up wire mesh perimeter around the plants to stop wildlife.
- Stick copper tape traps around stems to scare slugs and bugs.
3) Let nature do its work!
- Return once when flowering begins to top feed with some Bonemeal, Sulphate of Potash and more CalSeaFeed.

Does it sound like I've got the right idea? Please correct me if I'm wrong! :smartass:
420 :oldtoker:
Edited by fourTwenty420
2 people like this

Sounds good to me, pritty much the same method I am doing exept I am adding a bit of perlite to the soil under the auto and I will have some pure seed compost where I place my cracked auto seed,

nice and sterile for the tap root, probably will make no diferance but I think it will do no harm, seeing its a seedling that needs low nute light compost.

How about check your ph to see if you need to lime? The cal seaweed will raise the ph but is mild compared to lime. Now is the end of when to lime if you plan to plant out end of May. If you don't want to mess with the ph or it's in range you could consider swapping one of your bags of compost for a bag of b and q well rotted farm manure or well rotted from a local stable for 50p a bag. Using this will add humus which will help with nutrient release. Also the packets of micro fungus at planting time,not cheap but worth while if doing small amounts or for Special ones.

Go back and top dress as planned for flowering but if your not doing too many then go back and mulch in between. Not only will this help keep up slow release but will also help retain moisture. If you don't have water then this could make or break your season if they don't make it through a surprise heatwave in June. (You do mention watering in during prep which is not necessary if you live in the UK especially if your importing your o2)

There's loads on here about mulches. I like rabbit Poo among other things as it's easy for me to collect and is light and easy to use along with local forest compost ect.

Don't dig deep , dig wide especially on clay soil. Maybe 1 ft X 4.

I use potting compost in the centre and jiffy pots on plant out. If gives em a few weeks before stronger roots go into the hotter stuff. Hope this is of assistance.

Edited by Lea Valley
2 people like this

Cheers @@The_Blue_Bus , nice to hear that I'm on the right track! I think I've got some perlite lying around somewhere so I'll throw a bit of that in the mix too ;)

and @@Lea Valley , I haven't checked PH. I don't want to worry about that too much so I think I'll just get myself a bag of horse shit and leave the PH alone for this year. It seems most GGers use it so that will defo go on my shopping list.

One of the spots has been used before years ago so I'm hoping the soil there is nice already.

Those are both sweet ideas, about the jiffy pellets and layering compost.. I was a little worried about burning the young ones but I will try both out, for sure! :yes:

Thanks again people really appreciate it! :rockon:

Edited by fourTwenty420

Would Westland Farmyard Manure be the right thing? or does it specifically need to be rotted horse manure?

if i can't get horse manure, would worm castings make do?

and does this replace the chicken pellets or should I use them too?

:smartass:

Edited by fourTwenty420

Yes, either of those would be fine.

That bagged farmyard manure is often a bit wet & anaerobic, so give it a bit of time to start breathing before you plant. It also has loads of shredded bits of plastic in (at least, my bag did). Pain in the arse & lower quality than the real deal, but will be OK.

Manure & chicken shit are both sources of N so as you increase one, decrease the other. Rotted manure won't burn like chicken shit can. Best to have a bit of both imo

Edited by marquee moon
1 person likes this

After a bit more thought, is it worth starting them off on the windowsill at home in the jiffys, or little 0.3Ls?

I'm a bit worried about germinating outside :fear:

Yeah, you should have a much better survival rate doing that.

Yeah, it would make more sense too lol:bangin:

Edited by fourTwenty420
1 person likes this

also today me and my grow buddy got ourselves...

Westland

Jacks Magic Compost 50L (x2)
Farmyard Manure 50L (x2)

Fish Blood Bone Meal

Bone Meal
Sulphate of Potash

Dinafem

White Widow XXL (x3)

Amnesia XXL (x3)

Local shops

Chicken wire mesh

bamboo sticks

metal hooks

1gal water jugs (x6)

Borrowed

small spade

garden fork

torch

gloves

Is that everything we will need? and is that enough compost/shit for a 3 plant plot?

cheers

Edited by fourTwenty420
2 people like this

Pretty much nailed it on the head mate, just get some plastic party cups to start seeds off, then add copper tape to the cups, when planting out just cut bottom of the cups then bang them in the ground all should be good then.

Atb

1 person likes this

Awesome, I'll make sure I remember the copper tape! Cheers :)

Off out to check out a new spot early next week, think I'm onto a winner this time!

Then to prep them both on sneaky night missions :P

This is much more exciting than indoor growing haha

3 people like this

Also, I was wondering how deep I should dig? About 1-2ft I was thinking?

Edited by fourTwenty420
1 person likes this

Yeah mate that's it you'll do fine ;)

1 person likes this

Sounds spot on. I'd make cloches for tins or cans with copper tape and a deterrent paste wd40/Vaseline/rocksalt past is great. With pricey seed it's worth going all out to protect them well IMO. Have fun, keep stealth and enjoy the experience.

1 person likes this