Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matty2012

purple stem on leaves ?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone now what this is as plants are in perfect shape,is it a defiency of cold temps at lights off,im not sure

Yes plants tend to turn purple if subjected to cold temps unless its a purple strain then its genetics :)

Edited by Owderb
quote removed

No more than a 10 degree drop between your lights on and lights off temperature is advised, or it can stunt growth and stress the plants. :v:

Its only on the stem of leaves ?

Some just do it. Here's one of mine. It didn't hold it back as far as I could tell :)

med_gallery_6338_5619_259478.jpg

Owd

2 people like this

brought up this old post in search so thought id recycle it :) i have a few gorilla glue plants that are very purple and im not sure why these are doing it been like it from cutting ive only really had this issue before when the temps dropped below 60f lights out ?

large_jk.jpglarge_iu.jpg

Edited by Azzak

Magnesium deficiency is a prime culprit for purpling/Red stems. If your leaves start to purple up in flower (on a green strain) it'll be a phosphorus deficiency. Cold temps cause purpling as they slow down the movement of phos I believe. 

3 people like this

Yeah I've been adding Epsom salts too add a bit of extra mag but I'm thinking now I've been a idiot and let the temps get too low during lights off I've been convincing myself the temps ain't been dropping below 65 with the warm days we have been having but I reckon it has time for the heater me thinks

Let's be honest.  Red and purple strains were "trendy" for a bit.  Sweet seeds had a whole section.  I'd not even blink at a red or purple stem.  Unless it's not growing.  No reason for alarm or concern.

Yes a temp shift 10oc will cause purple stems but will also slow growth and development.   It will be obvious by vigour whether it's a genetic trait or environmental issue.

3 people like this

Okay so that's 18.333 degrees Celsius.  I'd look at a heat mat or tube heater.  Too cold for night time.

What strain is it and are you in Siberia?

heres my 10 bobs worth ........firstly u need to grow the plant out several times to understand its needs of ferts........then ewe can riddle out wether its underfed / overfed by testing a few buggers,as and when ya feed them different mixes !!!  tbh im growing out 3 different flavours atm,they all had red stems about 10 days ago,but since ive warmed them up + got them feeding / drinking the stems are green / grey new shoots looking bang tidy...... growing canna dont not come on the back of a bottle btw !!!!  it comes from general understanding of how plants grow + flourish,these below are in 5 lire pots of soiless mix with a 8 day veg + flipped. :chef:

large.DSC_0001-1043x1849.JPG

if ewe make sense outta that what i said your talented . lol      its all about enviroment / climate control ..............and  keeping the buggers warm,after all they are tropical plants. :notworthy:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
nt
2 people like this

red stems are usually a sign of either underfed or overcooked but the leaves tell the story clearly its all about reading your plants. :headpain:

environment is the biggest player !!!!!   :yep:   ive spent 1000`s in that room bach lol   sorry :notworthy:

1 person likes this

I think it is definitely cold related im usually on the ball but i didn't think the temps had been dropping too much to cause the purple too be honest i haven't check the lights out temp as they go off @ midnight and im in bed for work the next morning bit lazy i know but im on it now im sure it will green up in the coming days thankfully im not in flower yet:)     

1 person likes this