Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Villan

Diawa Sensor Brown Monofil.... how to....

48 posts in this topic

Put on a new reel.

I have watched loads of vids and one thing everyone says is that there is different methods due to each manufacturer spooling them up in their own way.

I am hoping there are some anglers here that have knowledge of this particular line and can tell me how they spool onto a new reel without getting it twisting etc.

Many thanks

Vill

1 person likes this

Just tie it too your spool and have someone else hold it V,Get them too put a pencil through it and keep it tight whilst you reel it on. ;)

Tenchie.

5 people like this

Thanks Tenchie, I was just about to get a bucket of water and a weight and make sure it came off anticlockwise etc etc :)

Cheers

1 person likes this

Make sure you keep it wet mate.. And there is a way to tell.. coil some off the new line, about half a meter and hold each end with a finger, meet in the middle if it coils or spins it's the wrong way. If it slightly bends it's the right way :yep:

Just to make sure im not confusing you.. if it coils when you meet in middle with a nice length its wrong :)

Hope this helps @@The Villan

edited was very stoned and wrote that wrong!! lol

Edited by bubblez420
2 people like this

Make sure that the line is coming off the bottom of the spool the other person is holding. Then you know its going on the reel with the same way it went on that spool. This helps with reducing line twist.

If you are on your own you can attach the reel to the butt section thread the line on and throw the line in a bucket of water. You can then hold the line in-between finger and thumb keeping it taught and reel as normal

Owd

8 people like this

And dont overfill the reel,that can get messy when casting lol

Tenchie.

2 people like this

Yes indeed, forgot to mention that :) @tenchie

2 people like this

Good choice of line that mate. I think it's better than a lot of other lines that cost twice as much. I always found it hard to spool up though, what ever way I do it, it seems to twist. Before actually fishing with it, I would tie a lead on the end and start with a few gentle casts, getting further each time until you're casting as far as you can, then the line will lay on your reel a lot better

2 people like this

I soak new line in a bucket of water for 12-24hr and then leave it in the bucket while reeling it onto the spool.

I have the reel on the butt section of a rod to keep it more stable.

I keep the tension on the line by using a damp sock, better than burning your finger as you reel the line on.

After a dozen or so cranks of the handle lower the butt section a little and see how the line between the rod and spool in the bucket look.

If the line is twisting up on itself, turn the spool in the bucket up the other way.

4 people like this

thought all serious carp men use braided line these days :P

2 people like this

thought all serious carp men use braided line these days :P

I myself don't like it on my main rods, but use it on both my spod and marker rods.

I used to though, but I found some lines were more effective for the lakes I fish :)

What about you? you use braid for main rods @@Ital ?

1 person likes this

I'm not a carp fisherman but have used braided on multipliers for seafishing. Don't really get on with it to be honest, although understand its merits.

Really well priced the Diawa sensor bulk spools are, could do with some myself.

2 people like this

I'm not a carp fisherman but have used braided on multipliers for seafishing. Don't really get on with it to be honest, although understand its merits.

Really well priced the Diawa sensor bulk spools are, could do with some myself.

Yea it does have it's uses and is brill for what I use it for.

Ah I love sea fishing mate, only went once last year down in Devon, was a lovely day on the boat..

Going to make an effort to go more this year, the wife loved it as well.

You do any other sort of fishing mate?

1 person likes this

TOP TIP..

use some old line first ( just to cover the spool slightly )..

no point in putting brand new line on for the first 20 meters or so..

another tip..

use the washing line..

spool in a bucket , fishing line over the washing line , you a few meters away gently cranking using your finger as tension..

dont crank fast or jerky..

easy does it and dont overload

TIGHT LINES :)

1 person likes this

I've never tried the bucket of water method, I tend to stick the reel on the butt section of a rod and get my missus to hold the spool of new line on a pencil and put a bit of tension on. I always get moaned at for her burnt fingers!

Daiwa Sensor is good line, tend to use braid for most applications these days though. I like the reduced diameter for river fishing, less drag on the line, better bite detection and direct contact to the fish, no stretch. And for lure fishing it's pretty much essential.

Edited by Captain Bonglington
4 people like this