Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ukganjagrower

Keeping those little b*stard rabbits away

28 posts in this topic

What is the best thing i can do to prevent rabbits from getting to my plants and eating them?

The basics of outdoor growing mate. Use protective cages with a supporting cane. Black mesh cages are good if you can find them, but you can also use chicken mesh too. Both work well.. Good luck!

Edited by Owderb
11 people like this

Thanks mate good luck this year to you too :)

How much is this black mesh and where would i be able to pick some up?

Edited by Owderb

I found those cages whilst out plot hunting mate, they had done their job as the trees they was protecting were 30ft tall, so they cost me nothing, but you can buy them fairly cheap id imagine..

1 person likes this

Google tubex ringuard, that's what those black ones are, cheap in serious bulk, not too cheap otherwise, an investment maybe? I made cages from plastic coated mesh a couple of years ago and they're fine for use again this year, bought a 20M roll for 40 at the local hardware store and bunches of 10 bamboo canes in the pound shop for....can't remember what the canes cost but ye get the idea lol

Have a gander at this thread, protection from things you hadn't even thought of yet :yep;

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=90500

Edited by Superdedupity
2 people like this

a catapult at dusk should see them off nicely.

2 people like this

Okay fellas thanks for the help :D

2 people like this

If you are going to buy mesh go on ebay.

Unbeleivabley cheap on there if you look around free delivery too. I'm waiting on mines turning up. I got 900mm high pvc green dipped galvanised in a 25meter roll for £20 delivered.

You will just need 600mm high for individual cages so will be about £15 prob cheaper if you get non dipped. Will get a few cages out that roll.

I'm doing a perimeter fence this year with just cages on my female stuff.

But a good solid perimeter it will be not some flimsy rubbish you can step over lol.

Wilkos is cheap for green mesh and its almost invisible unless up close.

2 people like this

Okay boys nice one :) kombatkevin do they sell it all year round or only when the spring hits?

Edited by ukganjagrower

Lots of old farmers fences made from chicken wire that are replaced next to em with new fencing or are wrecked in places and need replacing. Can get yourself a big roll this way. I wouldn't take a fence that still serves its purpose tho, only the fucked ones. There's always chicken wire somewhere you just got to know where to look in your area

Edited by Captain Kush

Lots of old farmers fences made from chicken wire that are replaced next to em with new fencing or are wrecked in places and need replacing. Can get yourself a big roll this way. I wouldn't take a fence that still serves its purpose tho, only the fucked ones. There's always chicken wire somewhere you just got to know where to look in your area

It's funny you say that as where I'm growing is at the back of a couple hundred acres of old farm land
1 person likes this

@@ukganjagrower

Dont forget the slugs too fella :yes:

I was thinking about sprinkling some slug pellets around the plants. Not to close, maybe a circle of them about half a foot from the plant
1 person likes this

Tea tree oil is supposed to work too, I would put it on the cages.