Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Shogun

Mushrooms

423 posts in this topic

any mushroom growers here on uk420? ive been given 3 kits, 2 oyster kits (one of which grows on an organic toilet roll) and a window sill button mushroom kit. i bought what i thought was a mushroom growing guide book but it arrived today and its more of an encyclopedia and not really what i was looking for. any tips? :stoned:

6 people like this

Paul Stamets, The Mushroom Cultivator, and Growing Gourmet and medicinal mushrooms are the best books that you could buy for sure. Really, it's much like what you do with Cannabis in a controlled environment, just without light playing such a major factor. Note your variables (Mushroom cultivator and GGMM being a good place to start) for specific species and adjust accordingly. It varies slightly between the various genus and species, but as a general rule your trying to simulate the onset of springsummer for building mycelium and autumn for fruiting, so a drop in temp and an increase of airflow and humidity. A grow tent works well. Shroomery is also good for food mushrooms.

Edited by Cambium
6 people like this

I grow mushies (just started again) have a look at making spores prints so you can keep your grow going indefinitely for next to nothing.

I would recommend getting some dustmasks for when you need to do stuff with your grow, it helps keep down contaminants

Also when your medium is fully colonized dunk it over night in cold water before you birth it to get bigger flushes (make sure its submerged by putting a plate on it or something)

Hope this helps

2 people like this

These ones are Enokitake, often sold as enoki. EZPZ to grow and cost fuck all once you're set up.

They need to be kept between 1-7/8 celcius in the dark so a bin bag in a winter garage or a shed if you've got one but in the fridge all year round will do.

Or you can be poncey like me and grow them in a bit of urban driftwood and woodchip.

I find homegrown mushrooms taste disappointingly like mushrooms :unsure: but if you want some interesting flavours get in the woods ... now.

LSD

gallery_57539_4571_32533.jpg

1 person likes this

You prob know this, but if you grow enoki, Flammulina velutipes with light they look completely different. Known as velvet shank in the UK and one of the only eaters that you can find through the winter. It can be a bit tougher though which is why they are grown in the dark for this form and softer texture. Good find though in the dead of winter.

2 people like this

really interesting read, and another something im tempted by today, thanks to UK420 :book:

So i've decided i'm going to hijack this thread as i couldn't find an ident thread and it seems silly starting one when this one is here.

So i've been out walking a lot in the fields and woods near my house recently and found a whole load of mushrooms in all kinds of habitats. I managed to get out today to take some pics after work, i got some of the ones i found in the wooded areas but unfortunately the light failed not long after and i was unable to get any shots of the grassland/meadow ones i found but i'll get out as sson as i can again and get some more pics.

I have this ident book:gallery_56427_5977_1002.jpg

Unfortunately i have misplaced it at the moment (i think i've lent it out to somebody but can't remember who :( ) so need some help with ident, i'm looking in your direction @@Cambium lol. All of these pics are using the flash mounted on my camera so none of them are particularly great but you can see the shrooms well enough hopefully.

First ones i found growing out of a fallen branch, not sure what tree type it is unfortunately:

gallery_56427_5977_105464.jpg

gallery_56427_5977_75153.jpg

The next ones were growing out of the trunk of a living oak tree:

gallery_56427_5977_562.jpg

gallery_56427_5977_9222.jpg

I had jst finished taking pictures of these shrooms and happened to glance up and saw these guys growing out of the same tree, unfortunately they were too high for me to get a better shot than this and nothing to climb on :(

gallery_56427_5977_26785.jpg

And finally i found these guys growing in the hollow of the roots of another oak tree about 100 metres from the first:

gallery_56427_5977_135989.jpg

gallery_56427_5977_124246.jpg

So any help would be appreciated until i can find my book and does any one else have any pics of any beautiful or weird and wonderful shrooms?

:)

11 people like this

1 is Auricularia auricula

2 possibly a var of Hypholoma, quite possibly not, don't have a book to hand.

3 is prob a var of Mycena

4..............maybe Inocybe. Maybe. Russula, maybe lol can you tell I don't know lol

Real tricky from pics. Cool fungi pics tho mate :)

Edited by Cambium
9 people like this

Real tricky from pics.

Cheers cam

Yeah i had a feeling that may be the case, i've got a field ident book somewhere too but i can't find that either, i need to start taking a book out with me or haevesting some and doing ident at home. Its been super fun hunting them out :)

I found one yesterday that had a bright orange, almost luminous it was so vivid and its stem was blue, i hadn't touched it and it didn't look like bruising it wasjust blue, beautiful it was, hopefully i'll find it again or one similar.

1 person likes this

Number two and three look delicious!.

While I'm here I've not long chopped down a couple to sycamores and have a load of logs, any edible mushroom I can plug it with that will grow at lat 51? Was thinking oysetrs or shitakes :)

1 person likes this

Number two and three look delicious!.

While I'm here I've not long chopped down a couple to sycamores and have a load of logs, any edible mushroom I can plug it with that will grow at lat 51? Was thinking oysetrs or shitakes :)

Dude i got given a load of dowling plugs for my birthday and they are just sat in the fridge, you can have them as long as i can have some of the fruits.

i'll go check what they are now :)

1 person likes this

Dude i got given a load of dowling plugs for my birthday and they are just sat in the fridge, you can have them as long as i can have some of the fruits.

i'll go check what they are now :)

Awesome dude, are they meant for our climate?

I have lions mane, shitake and oyster plugs, i've just read the instructions and they say that sycamore is not recommended :(

Rubbish.

1 person likes this

I've got to start growing my own, there key to health

3 people like this

And a bit of pickling

3 people like this