Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

noddy

Eat what you catch

130 posts in this topic

I eat the third,fifth,seventh etc

4 people like this

The thing is @@noddy, if one or two people were taking fish from rivers, canals and lakes, it would maybe be sustainable.

Unfortunately, in recent times, some of our watercourses have been heavily fished for the table, sometimes by net or set line with multiple hooks. That's not the only problem, pollution, cormorants and increased numbers of otters have also played their part, as well as many other issues.

I'm a sport fisherman, and so I guess it would be fair to say "Oh, you don't want fish taken for the table purely so you can catch them and put them back."

But the point is it affects the whole ecosystem, and the actions we take today will have long term effects.

You might catch a few now, but a few years down the line, when generations of breeding stock are gone, good luck.

Please don't think I'm anti taking for the table, a trout from a stream, or even the odd Zander (an invasive species itself altering the ecosystem in some places, and very tasty...)

I'm sorry if this post sounds really sanctimonious, but it's something I feel passionately about.

7 people like this

Eating course fish is out of order. People pay money for a license for the privelige to participate in this SPORT. Not so some scally can come along and kill and eat the stock,just because they cannot be arsed spending money at a Fishmongers!

2 people like this

icki why release them all , so you are happy to over fish the sea stock but when there is more than enough pike in a river to feed a lot of people why is that wrong .

But who are you to say there is more than enough pike in a river. They are part of an eco system and are usually top of the food chain but by the sounds of it all you seem to care about is food

If we all started eating pike it wouldn't be long before all lakes and rivers eco systems would be fucked

By all means buy farmed fish if thats your bag but leave the river and lake fish alone. They are having a bad time of it as it is

Owd

6 people like this

@ captain

ok not to sure how you mean it , so eating river fish is wrong ,

1 why so (is eating sea fish not wrong then)

2 what about crayfish then (the signal cray has out stripped out white claw and now also killing trout stock)

3 I see people like to fish for sport as I use to and still do but I do not understand why it is so wrong to eat river fish or such a touchy subject

well folks like I say just a point of view

lol at chronic and owderb

see people always resort to foul mouth when they have no reason .

so growing cannabis is ok because you say so is it yet the law says we should not .

what gives you the right to say that is right and the law is wrong .

you say the eco system would be screwed .

do you eat cod haddock these's are not farmed they are over fished and the shoal and fish are getting smaller .

and I pay for a licence to but hey I was asking what other fish people eat and catch .

trout is a river fish so fish from the wild are wrong but from a farm is fine where these fish can be in terrible farms , another look up river cobbler hmm you might not want to eat that and this is being sold as a top class fish for eating and better than haddock

look it up in the rivers in vietnham wow living in human waste and sludge

what about crayfish then (the signal cray has out stripped out white claw and now also killing trout stock)

Think you need a licence but the signals are great eating and you're helping eradicate an invasive species :grubsup:

1 person likes this

@ captain

ok not to sure how you mean it , so eating river fish is wrong ,

1 why so (is eating sea fish not wrong then)

2 what about crayfish then (the signal cray has out stripped out white claw and now also killing trout stock)

3 I see people like to fish for sport as I use to and still do but I do not understand why it is so wrong to eat river fish or such a touchy subject

well folks like I say just a point of view

Sorry, pressed post by mistake...

@@noddy

I'd say eating sea fish in an unsustainable manner is wrong.

Signal crays, eat those all you want dude, they are an invasive species causing huge damage to freshwater ecosystems.

To be honest dude, I don't think it would be such an emotive subject if sport anglers weren't aware of the changes occurring in our canals, rivers and lakes, for a variety of reasons.In general, or at least I'd like to think anyway, anglers give a shit about their surroundings and the environment. Anglers will be just as vocal about abstraction or pollution.

Edited by Captain Bonglington

well any way I was just trying to find out what other fish people like to catch and eat , but hey ho looks like world war 3 lol.

we each have a point in life and we are each entitled to it but used foul mouth at a person because they do not agree shows me one thing .

@ chronic how am I a scally because I do not agree we you and do something you do not like .

1 person likes this

lol at chronic and owderb

see people always resort to foul mouth when they have no reason .

Have I missed something?

Owd

yes saddam they are great eating and well you do not need a licence to catch on a line but if you trap you do ,but like you say getting rid of a problem .

Also if you catch them it is illegal to release them so if I have to kill it is it not better to use that food or throw it away .

anyway I will keep on eating and like someone said I like my food and yes I do .

but used foul mouth at a person because they do not agree shows me one thing.

What's that then? :unsure: I don't remember seeing any foul language in this thread?

yes owd may be read how scally would describe me

a scally is what he had to say

hey well I will keep eating and enjoying .

like I say just my point of view ,like others have there's.

some like strong weed some like mild we all have our own tastes

hi noddy the best fish I ever tasted was Perch from the river Thames up past Oxford.We night fished a weir fort eels and caught the Perch at first light.WE were on my mates dads river cruiser so we had a galley to cook em up under the grill mmmmmmmm lemon juice and salt and black pepper.This was 25 years ago not sure whats in the river now . ps ACE OF SPADES

1 person likes this