Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Villan

Named Fishing tackle

51 posts in this topic

@@The Villan

Good to hear you now have the bug mate :yep:

My carping days are long gone,when I used to go I started with 2 x 2lb t/c fox warrior rods.

And no word of a lie it turned into costly hobby with purple delkims,snag ears,bivvy bed chairs the full works.

Leaving home with my barrow! Ffs it was like I was moving out lol That was just a day session too.

Nowadays Im happy with my medium feeder greys 12ft quivertip and a fox stratos 7000 reel. The carp still get pulled out but the main fish I target are the Tench.

The buzz of sitting on your hands and watching that tip wraparound is hard to beat.

Roll on the fair weather.

Good luck this year people.

Tight lines.

Tenchie.

1 person likes this

@ @@*DJ* where you located approximatelt bubbles ?

DJ what about you too ?

Vill

Hey mate, I'm in the Gloucestershire area. Mainly go up the road towards a40, linch hill, orchid lakes, and there's plenty of locals around me, not to mention access to good rivers.. :)

What about you pal?

1 person likes this

If you love that tip action.. you must be fishing for the barbel as well @@Tenchie ??? I hope you are.. ;) they give you a really good whack in the rod.

Tench are lovely fish, absolute stunner's. I just enjoy the time away and being on the bank now a days, lovely peace and quite.

All the best this season tenchie..

bubz

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
1 person likes this

@

Cheers mate and you :yep:

Never ever fished for Barbel mate,would love to tho at some point. I tend to stick to a local lake as I don`t have the transport.

They did introduce a few small kittens 2 years ago and I hooked one at around the 14lb mark,my rod nearly went for a dip. haha

Tenchie.

2 people like this

Romford!

dj..

2 people like this

I know what ya mean Tenchie, I have been lucky and got most of my gear including the carp rods and bivvy and reels practically for nothing. I have bought a pellet waggler and a feeder rod. Just bought a new reel for the feeder and waggler with a bit more bollox in it, cause I too love feedering and I didnt realise the size of carp you can actually pull on a feeder :) I could ramble on forever :)

Vill

ps bubbles, am in cornwall m8

1 person likes this

Can't beat the play on a good old waggler rod.. :)

How's the fishing up there mate, I could imagine there's a good few out that way..?

bubz

e2a: Quote Removed(I'm a bugger for that, Owd has had to remove a few already)..

lol Apologizes mate

Edited by bubblez420
1 person likes this

Theres some sweet lakes down this way. Have a look at Bullworthy farm lodges too, great carp lake there, hot tub outside etc.

1 person likes this

Yea I thought there would be, plenty of space for lakes there. It's not bad down this way within a 40 mile radios, there's plenty to choose from.

Take the kids down Cornwall some year's, so will have to check that out and take the rods a long with me.. ;)

Bit of a result over the weekend :)

Was up the local tip and saw this bloke just about to throw this in the metal slip :)

Perfect working order, just needs a clean up :) I am gonna give it a go, see how I get on with it.

Vill

ps he was chucking it cause he just got a new one :)

gallery_32505_3455_42496.jpg

Edited by The Villan
6 people like this

That's a lovely find there villan..

Will look great with some tlc :)

1 person likes this

If you fancy Fly Fishing (which is not just for trout/salmon, but can also be an excellent way of landing a big carp or even a large pike), then I can say from experience that Hardy make a superb range of rods. But seeing as how fly fishing is all about the rod (for that's where the power to cast comes from, not a madly thrashing arm but a gentle flex/release of the rods inner "spring", best achieved by a smooth and relaxed 11:00 - 1:00 cast), the maxim is always "Save, save, save and buy the best you can afford".

Found my old rod collection in the garage recently. Sadly I think I shall have to let them go, chucking a fly is well out of my capability range nowadays :(

But I strongly recommend the use of a fly rod to my coarse fishing friends. To feel the take of a decent young pike is an extraordinary experience. I landed a seven pounder out of the Ouse just by Bishopthorpe some years back ~ damn near ripped the rod clean out of my hands. And you get so much more "feel" when playing a fish in; you can feel every twitch and twist and turn it makes, because you're playing it with your fingers, not through the reel. Give it a go!!

3 people like this

@@Arnold Layne I can't agree more that a good fly rod is an absolute joy to use and is not restricted to only game fish. I have had countless hours of fun with fly tackle over the years including catching mullet and ballan wrasse! The best rod I owned was a greys which is a cheap hardy.

I got the lend of a sage vps for a day and my casting distance, presentation and accuracy improved three fold. The fly would land like a thistledown by thought control is how it felt. Pure joy.

Dust those rods off immediately and give it one last fish while you still can. A river might be a bit tricky but stocked lakes can be easier access. Yes it may be shooting turkeys in a barrel but allow yourself the joy of seeing a tiny dry fly being sipped up by a trout one last time at least for memories sake. And take lots of pics.

Just a simple roll cast will suffice in some spots and ain't too strenuous. I used to roll cast with my left due to agonising carpal tunnel in my right wrist.

No excuse for not fishing.

Don't let apathy extinguish your passion for the finer things in life....

I hope you fish at least once more..

All the best...

;)

2 people like this

@

:rofl: Much as I'd love to do that, its a non starter. My hands shake and jerk around so much that I find it impossible even to stir a cup of tea without splashing half of it out! Plus my right hand is dead. The ulna nerve which controls the nerves in one's hands, is irreparably fooked, so that the hand is now just skin on bone and ligament, 75% muscles have simply wasted away and left me with a shaking, jerking claw of flesh. Not only that, but most feeling is gone, leaving just a strange tingly numb space where my two outer fingers and palm edge should be. The result is that I can't even hold a spliff in my right hand, let alone a rod; or if I switch hands, it would be impossible to retrieve, and doubly so to strike and play a fish! Moreover, I can't raise either arm above mid chest height, so casting is a no-no, even a simple roll cast would be a messy affair :woot: So sadly, one of my most loved hobbies must go, along with driving, riding big bikes and the odd outing to Barclays ( :wassnnme::rofl:) I do treasure my one fishing momento ~ a superb cast of a 7lb brownie I caught down in Hampshire (Dever Springs, IIRC, the bigger lake just by the hatchery). Not that massive (I've had some great doubles out of those lakes), but I caught it first chuck using the first fly I ever tied myself so its a proud and vivid memory.

My fly rods were a gift, from a UK420 member who had to retire from fishing. So I feel it only right to clean them off and donate them on. They really should be in proper use! So that is what I shall do, when we move ( hopefully soon) and thus empty the garage and allowing me access to them. Right now they're discretely stashed well out of reach behind a mountain of household stuff, such as beds, chairs, mattresses, boxes of books etc etc.. But when I get them I think a wee UK420 comp or lotto type thing may be in order!

I can still just about hold and use a camera. Unfortunately the shakes make this tricky, but with a tripod its possible. So come summer I hope to go riverside and do some wild life photography. I find fishery managers (ponds, lakes etc) don't take too kindly to photographers, I'm not sure why though.

Thank gawd for Chess, and good books, and music!

~~~~~~

PS: If anyone fishes Dever, give me a shout and I'll give you a very good tip that I'm fairly confident will yield you a massive catch ;)

2 people like this

If you fancy Fly Fishing (which is not just for trout/salmon, but can also be an excellent way of landing a big carp or even a large pike), then I can say from experience that Hardy make a superb range of rods. But seeing as how fly fishing is all about the rod (for that's where the power to cast comes from, not a madly thrashing arm but a gentle flex/release of the rods inner "spring", best achieved by a smooth and relaxed 11:00 - 1:00 cast), the maxim is always "Save, save, save and buy the best you can afford".

Found my old rod collection in the garage recently. Sadly I think I shall have to let them go, chucking a fly is well out of my capability range nowadays :(

But I strongly recommend the use of a fly rod to my coarse fishing friends. To feel the take of a decent young pike is an extraordinary experience. I landed a seven pounder out of the Ouse just by Bishopthorpe some years back ~ damn near ripped the rod clean out of my hands. And you get so much more "feel" when playing a fish in; you can feel every twitch and twist and turn it makes, because you're playing it with your fingers, not through the reel. Give it a go!!

An added element to fly fishing that I particularly enjoy is tying my own flies. To have an idea, design it, create it, fish it and catch with it is a great experience. I definitely catch more fish with my own flies too. It's very relaxing and a great passtime during those long winter evenings when dreaming of the return of the season. Smoking ganja and tying flies seem to go hand in hand too, which is nice :) Trout, sea trout, salmon and pike are my usual targets and I also enjoy catching mackerel in the summer on light tackle. Wow! Pound for pound, they must be one of the strongest fish around. Go hook into one on an AFTM 6/7 and you'll have great fun :yep:

3 people like this