Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Fishing Kayaks

53 posts in this topic

Ive got a tarpon 120. Dont really get out on it as much as i would like but ive had many trips around the coast of west wales in the summer months.

Theres a group of us who have them so we take them camping and carry all our gear on them and go around the coast and camp on a beach for the night. One of the best adventures you can have to be honest. 

2 people like this

@Phoenix, On the big gravel pits we have locally it can get choppy on the  end of the wind and kick up a bit of a swell.You're right, once you hit that side on swell it can start getting a bit hectic! :yep: 

I'd be very wary of taking my yak on the sea, I'm confident on it, but it's short, and shallow, anything more than a light chop and swell I'd be staying on dry land. Wind plays merry hell with it, I think I could get into a pickle with some tide thrown in too.:)

@Embryo, I'm tempted with a trip to the lakes......I've walked round Ullswater as a kid, that would be a stunning place to kayak and fish.....:yep:

2 people like this

i have had a kayak for years she is lovley for inshore exploration . also the local river get a look in every now and again .

i used to go out a lot .one time i went out with a huge joint of oldtimes . never again i got the fear i kept imagining all sorts going on underneath me .

so much i had to grab hold of a  anchored boat to compose myself . honestly after years of smoking my homegrown ive never had an experience like that

after about 10 minutes i calmed down but honestly ive never had that before . it fucked me big time .funny to look back now

2 people like this

If you ever do fancy a trip up here, im quite familiar with most of the big waters; ive canoed the whole length of Ullswater years ago.

Could take you on a "Swallows & Amazons" tour of Coniston Water, show you all the places from the book too if you wanted :)

Happy paddling

2 people like this

I'm off on my first proper river mission tomorrow, it's a bit of a trek from home but I'm going to have a go on the Warwickshire Avon I think. I know of a nice launch that allows me a decent paddle in either direction from the car without messing around with locks, it'll be nice to go somewhere other than the pay and play, I'm getting bored of that now......:)

Cheers @Embryo, if I find myself up your neck of the woods one day I may well give you a shout.......:yep:

make sure you can get in and out of it safely , also wear a life jacket or whatever they call them now .

oh and dont smoke too much oldtimes

Well I survived my first river trip....:)

It was good fun, I started by paddling upstream to a weirpool I used to fish, it was a bit further from the launch than I thought it was. I worked out on Google Earth that it's about 2.5k, which was a bit of a slog against the breeze and flow. It's not the paddling as such that is hard work, but the lower back pain from sitting in the seat is a bit tiresome.

@catfish, I know what you mean about being too stoned....I had a couple of pipes of auto Mazar before I set sail, it's mediocre at best, but once I found myself in the middle of nowhere I developed an irrational spin out about hitting underwater branches and putting a hole in the yak. lol

The last little section was a narrow channel leading to the weir, and a little beach, it was pushing through quite hard, with bits of Willow stem sticking up out of the water, all sorts of disaster scenarios were running through my mind, in reality it was pretty straightforward to navigate....:rolleyes:

I stopped at the weir for a drink and a bite to eat, I was tempted with a pipe but I was a little concerned about going back down the fast flowing channel with it's obstructions.....no worries though, and once I was back in the main river I decided to pull in to a fishing platform, which I've caught loads of Barbel from in the past for a smoke.....I'd tied off and was just loading my pipe, and sods law, the only other person I'd seen all day was on a canoe and right next to me.....lol

"Morning, everything ok?" he said, as I chucked my bag of weed and pipe back in the dry vault and pulled out a can of coke.... 

"Yes thanks, just pulled in for a drink...." :wassnnme:

Back downstream was much easier, I carried on past the launch a bit then back up, so I covered at least 6k by my calculations....My legs knew about it this morning, I got quite cold even in my wetsuit yesterday which didn't help.

I found some really fishy looking spots, I went to a car boot today and found a telescopic rod that goes from about 10'' to 5', a bargain at four quid for rod and reel,  perfect as i can fit the  rod and reel through the dry vault hatch for the more "covert" fishing trips.....:yes:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

Anybody have any experience with the Ocean Malibu 2 XL?

Hopefully next year I'll have myself a kayak but it's highly likely I'll have to share it with the kids!