Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Fishing Kayaks

53 posts in this topic

Sinking's an inconvenient feature....!

Just been looking at some of the feel free range, they look good. It's tricky as a novice as they all look much of a muchness...

Edited by Captain Bonglington

I prefer the boat for fishing but do love trawling the sand bars amongst the kiters too.As long as I'm loading up on sea bass ill get on any floating ting.

Loves a billy on i do.

1 person likes this

@@Osama re those perceptions and the wind, lots of different reviews mentioning they can be a bit of a struggle in a hih wind but they have chimes or a hard edge on the bottom so with a bit of practice and learned technique you can "edge" them and they do ok ... edit i dont know this for sure tho as it all anecdotal, past experience and going buy the look of the thing from me atm lol should have one buy next spring tho.. fingers crossed

those feel frees look like they make good surf kayaks

Edited by Sancho Panza

Im feeing the paddle board up the harbour myself sitting on the edge flicking baits out.Awesome got some lovely bass rods from Italy recently that suit the paddle board perfectly.9ft they hook them selves.

Edited by icki

The feel free "lure" and "Moken" ones look nice but they're pricey...

dude dont want to b doom and gloom and it is yet more expense but if your serious about paddling in the sea by yourself think about getting a radio or a transmitter with an emergency beacon on.

they cost around £150 to £300, you pull a tab or press a button and your location and need for help is broadcast to the emergency services..

its so easy to get fucked up or into trouble at sea and for a relatively small sum of money its something that can make the difference.. they not so important if your with others but when by yourself so much unexpected shit can happen that something like this is essential...

Edited by Sancho Panza
5 people like this

+1 mobile phones rarely get signal offshore

btw, if you want to use one for more than emergency reasons then you need a license (which are cheap and the course can be learnt from a book too)

Edited by Embryo
2 people like this

Yeah I've been thinking VHF already. When we're out on our holidays I've got my phone in an aqua Pac, but that's a really shit safety system. Having been coasteering in May I know how long I can swim for in 10 degree water and it's not long.

1 person likes this

Kayaks at sea might be hard work . It's dodgy enough in a shallow hull on a large lake .

mu5Qg6lWiMqnycKMji3tn7g.jpg

These are great ,pioneer boats . They have air compartments so it shouldn't sink . I wouldn't feel very safe in one because they're so low . There's no space and it's not as easy to control compared to a 19' fishing boat . I have surfed in one of these .Not intentionally ,just stupidly. It was a storm , on a day when you wouldn't let a dog out . I'm lucky to be alive !

At sea you'd really want two, 4 stroke jetskis . The type of thing that weighs two ton . You can't go alone and you need to have a walkie talkie in a jam jar ,in the storage compartment ,just in case .

Edited by Michael Luchóg

Well I've got my kayak! :yahoo:

It's a Torpedo7 Cruise 278, with seat, rod mounts and so on, in matt black.

She's lovely, I can't wait to get out on it but it's too bloody cold to be falling in at the moment!

I have a question....it comes with some decals on that I don't like...the original decals have been removed, and been replaced with one that says "Delta Force", presumably to make it look all military, which isn't my thing. (The seller is importing and rebranding them.)

What can I use to remove it without damaging the boat? It's just a transfer I think, but it won't easily scrape off. I was thinking Acetone, or maybe ISO, but I'm not sure if this will damage the plastic.

Any ideas anyone?

4 people like this

First thing I'd try is a hairdryer on a corner. And patience. If that don't work I'm unsure what would.

Congrats on the kayak.

I'm just about to head out for a bit of shore fishing myself.

2 people like this

Nice one mate im jealous lol

1 person likes this

I'm really keen to get it on some water, but as a beginner I think it would be a bit foolhardy to chuck it in the river at this time of year. I've been in cold water on a couple of occasions and I know how disabling it is.

It's quite wide in the beam so I think it's going to be pretty stable, but it's inevitable I'm going in at some point! :yes:

There's a network of big gravel pits near me, with a few pay and play lakes with rescue boats etc, they'll be my first port of call, just so I can practice staying on the thing in still water, and also fall off a bit to practice getting back on.

I can't wait, just need it to warm up a bit!

1 person likes this

Hair dryer and a razor blade i would think to be best.

the plastic should be fine with most solvents especially alcohol but acetone might eat it a bit, if you go this route put a small dot on an unseen (and non-structural) area and observe :yep:

P.s nice one on the new toy ya jammy smegger! lol

1 person likes this

Have you got a dry suit or access to one? One of them plus an insulating suit and you are good to play out in cold water

1 person likes this